Study Group Post 1- Houses (general information)

le.jour.obscurcit

DevilishAngel said:
Oh yes, I can agree here, my mother is Cancer and they say that they are natural mothers. HA!! OK she wasn't horrible, but I really can't say I want to be like her when I have children, she has taught me what not to do more than what to do. Yes Minderwiz, I have wondered if her other signs could be altering her Cancer to make her the way she is. She doesn't know the time she was born so I can't get her Ascendant. I would have to look up her chart again to see the others.

My mother is also a cancer, and I feel the same way.

Minderwiz

Some interesting observations on Cancer there. For me, two things come out of it:

Firstly a re-emphasis of the point I made earlier, We are not simply our Sun signs,

Secondly, modern Astrology has shifted the focus from planets to signs. Before the twentieth century, no Astrologer would describe someone as a 'Cancer' or a 'Scorpio' let alone say something like 'you are a Cancer so you must be a protective nurturing maternal person'

It's very difficult to set aside the mind set of modern Astrology, but, as your studies progress, you might begin to question some of the approaches. Indeed you will find that there's many approaches in Astrology and eventually you wil choose one for yourself.

Kibeth

Indeed, I have given this a lot of thought, questioned if the Moon could represent the mother. When it could not as the Moon is by nature too changeable, too tempestuous, don't you think? Though I've known some Cancerians to be good chancellors, that just didn't cut it.

As I was considering the nature of the mother, I think of the element Water, being a woman, and Earth, being one that nurtures and heals, my thoughts quickly swung to Jupiter. Don't know why. Jupiter is a rather large, heavy but stable sort of planet, like the mother, a constant who anchors her child down and makes the child feel safe, 'be' safe. When I got back from work I saw Jupiter rules Pisces. Indeed, my mother is a Piscean woman. We (me a Cancer) are the same in that we always wish to avoid trouble, but differ in that I will protect myself and she won't. A Piscean woman is all defenseless, which would require a male in the house (the Father) to counterbalance.

In short, 12th house for me. =)

214red

le.jour.obscurcit said:
My mother is also a cancer, and I feel the same way.
i recently found out my mom has a weird mix, taurus with a backbone of leo and aries.....so now i understand a bit more why she had difficulty with motherhood.

i only describe people by their sunsigns when i feel they are a 'pure' sign, i.e they have most major planets in that sign, and display those charecteristics.

le.jour.obscurcit

214red said:
i recently found out my mom has a weird mix, taurus with a backbone of leo and aries.....so now i understand a bit more why she had difficulty with motherhood.

i only describe people by their sunsigns when i feel they are a 'pure' sign, i.e they have most major planets in that sign, and display those charecteristics.

I don't wish to criticise my Mum at all. She has an Aries ascendant, which I think dominates her personality rather than her Cancer sun or Aquarius moon as she is a very agressive and debating person. Her Venus is in Taurus and in the second house, and yes, she does like to spend money. Her Mars is in Leo and the fourth house, so her domineering and rather abusive sort of nature can be found in her home house, which also happens to be conjunct Pluto and Uranus; Opposition her Moon!

Oh dear.

214red

le.jour.obscurcit said:
I don't wish to criticise my Mum at all. She has an Aries ascendant, which I think dominates her personality rather than her Cancer sun or Aquarius moon as she is a very agressive and debating person. Her Venus is in Taurus and in the second house, and yes, she does like to spend money. Her Mars is in Leo and the fourth house, so her domineering and rather abusive sort of nature can be found in her home house, which also happens to be conjunct Pluto and Uranus; Opposition her Moon!

Oh dear.
i am looking forward to starting the planets in the houses discussion, as this discussion has already given me tons of food for thought

le.jour.obscurcit

214red said:
i am looking forward to starting the planets in the houses discussion, as this discussion has already given me tons of food for thought

me too!

dadsnook2000

On-topic?

I read a lot about sun-signs in a thread that is supposed to be about houses. I'm really looking forward to monitoring those house discussions. How will that be done ---- a thread for the first house, followed later by a thread for the second house, etc. Dave

Indigo Rose

Minderwiz said:
So the planet ruling the sign on the fourth is one symbol of the father, but we'd also look at Sun or Saturn, if the fourth ruler doesn't quite fit. Similarly the tenth ruler is a symbol of the Mother, but we'd also look at the Moon or Venus if the tenth ruler doesn't seem the best choice.

I personally see the 4th representing Mother, and 10th representing Father...but my chart seems to work out that way too.
My 4th house cusp is Virgo, with my Moon in Virgo in the 4th. My mother is a Venus/Mars Virgo with a Cancer/Leo Cusp Sun. Now my father was a Pisces Sun in the 10th House. I am a Pisces Sun/Mars/MH/Chiron/Saturn all in the 10th House. I connected well with my father, but have had a bumpy journey with Mother. :heart:

214red

dadsnook2000 said:
I read a lot about sun-signs in a thread that is supposed to be about houses. I'm really looking forward to monitoring those house discussions. How will that be done ---- a thread for the first house, followed later by a thread for the second house, etc. Dave

we are doing the sun and moon through the houses next, we will obviously keep more on-topic then this one, but this is just a warm up.

i will type up a small blurb for the sun in each house, for us to discuss in depth in th thread. I am not going to post reams and reams of infor in the topic as we all have books and other resources to reference. the thread will be how we see the sun and moon in reality not in the book interpretation.

thanks for your contributions so far, i look forward to your further insight in the other threads