What to read on, what not, does it matter?

greatdane

I see the threads and posts about health and other issues that some readers stay away from and some don't. To ME, personally, it's much different if I want to read on something for MYSELF (and then I use tarot for me, not Lenormand, as I have a different relationship with each and Lenormand just reads easier for others for me, because it IS so literal) vs something for someone else.

ALL readers have to decide what they wish to read on and for whom. Aside from the legalities of reading regarding health issues for others, which, no matter how you word it, can be tricky legally, there are the responsibilities I believe readers have.

We each have to decide what our own are. I am not suggesting what I read on, or don't read on, others should or shouldn't (well, minus the ones that can get a reader into trouble legally, and even then it's still up to the reader whether they wish to take that step). I do think it's good if a reader at least thinks about what they will read on, especially new readers.

I see readers who are very new and I think it's important to at least consider what your ethics will be regarding reading. Sitters look to readers for advice and I think readers should at least keep that in mind, that what they say can often make the difference what a sitter will consider as an option or not. Ultimately it is up to a sitter to take a reader's advice, which is only as it should be, but I think it's still good to really take our readings seriously. I'm not saying most readers don't, I believe they do, but I think it's important to consider what we put out there, the impact it may have, and how we may deliver the message.

Izzydunne

Most professions have a code of conduct, and a set of ethics. While in training these important factors are emphasized, and there is an expectation that they will be adhered to. In reality this is often not the case. Many people, who have a "flexible" sense of right and wrong will tend to play fast and lose with the guidelines. However, at least they have been made aware of the need for ethic in their training. Psychics, tarot readers, astrologers are what may be called the "fringe" professions, because many exits on the edges of society......and for a oracle, that is a fine place to be. The problem is that that in these fringe professions there is a very wide viewpoint on what is ethical. Many seem quite happy to tell a client that "your boyfriend is cheating" without thinking of the consequences. From a karmic standpoint, the reader has just wrecked a relationship and potentially harmed family members. This is dramatically compounded if the reader is wrong. And yes, readers are often wrong. Yes, I know various tarot organizations have a code of conduct. In my personal experience I have seen many instances of behavior that could never be defined as ethical. Sadly, we live in a world where there is very little inclination toward honesty, integrity, ethics, or morality. This fact is reflected back to us in the majority of experiences.

Barleywine

This question runs parallel to the one about whether the querent should be asked to state the specific question aloud. If you don't (or just inquire enough to get a general idea about the area of concern, i.e. work, relationship, relocation), the decision not to take on a querent for ethical reasons becomes a bit moot. However, it also means you need to stay vigilant and choose your words with exceptional care, working "from the outside in" by going from the general to the more specific and zeroing in on the details without stumbling onto shaky ground. It's usually how I work anyway, starting with a "big-picture" overview, then drilling down into the individual card meanings, and finally putting it all back together in a recap using any insights gained along the way. Also, I speak in terms of possibilities (or at most probabilities), and stay away from offering unqualified advice. I agree, though, that if the reading still veers off into high-risk territory involving recommendations for action (medical, legal, financial, etc.), you should steer it back with appropriate disclaimers and end it if necessary.

MissNine

I agree with previous poster in that legal and medical advice should be given by ones with the licenses and malpractice insurance. I don't feel my cards foretell health matters, nor do I want them too. I want people I read for asking for guidance on matters they need some input or clarity on and things they have control over.

It's important to me that they know the cards will tip them off to what they could change in their life. However, the cards are not their master. For me, it would be unethical to do more with law than give a forecast of how a suit might work out. With medicine, I just upfront tell the person I don't do health questions because I'm not a doctor. My deck does not come with malpractice insurance. :) Everyone formulates their own ethics code and tweak it over time as um...interesting situations arise for them.

Best to you!

Izzydunne

Barleywine:

I definitely agree that it is an excellent idea to have a question from the client.

I always ask a client, "What would you like to know"? This makes it easy for me to arrive at an ethical decision, and agree to answer the question or to redirect the question into a better form.

Everyone has questions. However, a new client will often say "Just tell me what you see." or "I would like a general reading, because I don't have a question." As I said, everyone has questions, they are often embarrassed or afraid to ask. I try to make it easy for them to formulate their desire for information into the form of a question.

VioletEye

I agree with previous poster in that legal and medical advice should be given by ones with the licenses and malpractice insurance. I don't feel my cards foretell health matters, nor do I want them too. I want people I read for asking for guidance on matters they need some input or clarity on and things they have control over.

well said!

alright, just to point out the other side of the coin: i think a lot of sitters want to get readings just for a hoot, not to get deep, life-changing advice. they may be skeptics, they may not be; but in a lot of cases, there is no intention of taking the reading to heart. it's kind of like how some people read their astrology forecast in the daily paper - for fun.

(not to belittle astrology! some of those dailies are right on the money. :) )

i live in new orleans. there are lots of tarot readers, palm readers, crystal ball scryers and psychics that set up tables in the french quarter and read for (mostly) tourists. i'm definitely not saying that they're fake or not giving good readings, but i am saying that a lot of their sitters are doing it just for fun.

and then there are the sitters who are just looking for the answer they want to hear, and they'll ask their question however many times they need to to get it. don't even get me started.

i guess this is all to say that yes, i definitely agree that ethics are very important when reading for a serious querent - but some of what you see out there (and in here!) is fun and games... and if that's what floats your boat, i'm good with it. ;)

Barleywine

I always ask a client, "What would you like to know"? This makes it easy for me to arrive at an ethical decision, and agree to answer the question or to redirect the question into a better form.

I think this is the crux of how to handle awkward questions: have them restated in a way that avoids the ethical "quick-sand" while also coincidentally making them more approachable via the symbolic language of the cards. I know I've done this many times, mainly because tarot is more effective for answering some types of questions than others. Also, sometimes it's the only way to reach closure when the reading stalls because the matter resists straight-forward interpretation. Maybe it's trying to tell you something . . .

Barleywine

alright, just to point out the other side of the coin: i think a lot of sitters want to get readings just for a hoot, not to get deep, life-changing advice. they may be skeptics, they may not be; but in a lot of cases, there is no intention of taking the reading to heart. it's kind of like how some people read their astrology forecast in the daily paper - for fun.

Thanks for the adjustment! I tend to overlook the entertainment side of the picture, although in some jurisdictions "entertainment value" is the only legal use for divination practices. Despite the fact that I read almost entirely by intuition now, I've spent so much time and effort taking apart and scrutinizing the intricacies of the symbolism that I'm dissuaded from using tarot casually. That said, when someone comes looking for a reading I don't try to judge their seriousness and turn them away if I catch even a whiff of levity. The reading is going to be whatever it's going to be, and what they take away from it is their business. "We aim to please" doesn't usually enter into it, though; to inform, enlighten, inspire, stimulate (provoke?), illuminate, maybe, in the best cases, are more typical objectives

VioletEye

Thanks for the adjustment! I tend to overlook the entertainment side of the picture, although in some jurisdictions "entertainment value" is the only legal use for divination practices.

yep! :)

when someone comes looking for a reading I don't try to judge their seriousness and turn them away if I catch even a whiff of levity. The reading is going to be whatever it's going to be, and what they take away from it is their business.

agreed - but if i'm going to be honest, i do get frustrated in those situations. after having put a lot of time and effort into studying, and then giving a thoughtful reading, it's hard to have someone shrug their shoulders.... but that's on me, not them!

danieljuk

well this is a personal choice and just like tarot, we have to make a code of ethics about what we feel comfortable with. But if you do professional readings and give legal or health advice you could end up in trouble legally (well you can here anyway). I wouldn't diagnose or give professional advice but sometimes things pop up. I have chronic health issues and sometimes they pop up in readings done by other people, I didn't ask for a health reading or a diagnosis, but they are a big part of my life. You can cover that without giving medical professional advice.

There is many shades of this I guess I am saying, but I would change the question or reading topic if it is about professional matters or about a 3rd party person. It's not set in stone with me but I have to feel comfortable about it.