Your Top 5 Home Remedies....

Sophie

Great tip on the red wine vinegar, Faerygodmother - I've had that problem awhile, I'll give the vinegar treatment a go.

My non-exhaustive list of tips, which have worked for me and/or my family:

- fresh aloe vera gel (straight from the plant) soothes sunburn and heals cuts and grazes.
- thyme tea (with fresh thyme if possible, but dry is fine) is invaluable to heal all chest and throat complaints (to expand of FG's gargle tip)
- 5 drops of cypress and 15 drops of geranium essential oils in a small tube of E-45 cream, or of KY jelly or Vaseline, will cure piles and help prevent them.
- lavender essential oil neat on the skin will cure athlete's foot, spots, sunburn, boils and most other ordinary skin complaints.
- linseed in plain yoghurt with honey for breakfast will keep you regular and your intestinal flora happy
- geranium, lavender, lemon and bergamot essential oils in a light base oil makes the best mosquito and fly repellent you can find. Don't wear it before sunbathing because of the citrus content - it comes into its own towards the end of the day when the mozzies are out in full force.
- thrush attacks can be counter-attacked with a mix of: yoghurt mixed with chamomile & lavender essential oils, dipped in a tampon and inserted - to be replaced every 12 hours; alongside that, eat lots of garlic, which is a fungicide.
- marjoram compress will alleviate painful, stiff muscles.

FaeryGodmother

Wow, theres some great tips here. Keep 'em coming. :D

celticnoodle said:
1. when you have an upset stomach or you are nausead, make a tea with jello. just 1/2 packet of jello in a coffee cup and add boil water-stir and sip at it. your nausea will disappear and it really helps with the upset stomach too! and the best part--it tastes GREAT!
Trying this one out as we speak. My daughter has been sick for almost a week and nauseous and unable to eat much. She liked this idea. I'll let you knwo how it goes.

missycab said:
2. For headaches: cut a potatoe in slices, put some slices in a cloth, make some sort of bandana, and put it in your forehead.
I can't believe i saw this! I seriously thought my mother was kidding when she told me about this the other day, LOL!

Also I'm so glad Aloe Vera has been mentioned. I can't believe I forgot to include it on my list. Its something I use so often that I forgot it was a home remedy :D:D:D

Sinduction

Taking magnesium every day will keep you from getting kidney stones. (Well it helps me, I've had them 3 times and it's always when I stop taking it.) Stay under the recommended daily intake though, it also eases anxiety.

I've also used acidophilus gelcaps to cure bacterial infections in my how-shall-I-put-it "nether region." I inserted them, not ingested. I tried this after several rounds of antibiotics did nothing. And the re-occurring infection never returned. *round of applause for these gelcaps*

I use olive oil on my hair and skin, even my cuticles and my feet. I'm an addict.

You can also buy ginger in a capsule for motion sickness/nausea, but I just drink ginger ale, or cola. I believe the cola syrup works much like pepto.

I probably have more but that's all I think I can personally vouch for.

I'm nuts for hair stuff so I'm trying the baking soda and vinegar thing.

Haunted Wood

Hey all of these tips are so great :D I think I'll have the try the lavender essential oil on my skin. Looks like garlic has a thousand uses! I've heard of it being used for yeast infections - as in putting it 'up there'...I've never had a yeast infection but if I ever get one I'll try it. Ooh and I have another one - you know how after a while the inside of the kettle gets a build up of white scum? Well you can get rid of it by boiling some white vinegar in it a few times, it gets rid of the scum.

ravenest

1. Food and produce grown by myself, with compost and soil preparations made by me - all organic. The more I eat of that, the less problems I have.

2. Aloe Vera as a treatment for burns and dry skin. I used whole slab of the plant tissue on a bad burn, bandaged it in place and left undisturbed for two days. The liquid from the plant had all been absorbed and the remaining plant tissue formed a thin film like plastic skin on the burn. The 'skin' lasted
until it wore off (about three days) leaving unscarred new skin exposed. I just posted recently about using aloe Vera gel as an ear conditioner.

3. Yarrow, easy to grow and a great healer. I had read that Alexander the Great's army carried it to treat sword wounds. That is a serious wound! So I tried it on a cut, that I believe needed about six stiches ( I have previously worked in a hospital, including Accident & Emergency and Operating Theatre). I chewed up the leaves into a poultice, held the cut together, packed the yarrow around it and bound it so as to hold the cut firmly closed in position. Then bound my foot to restrict movement. I kept still for two days and checked in on the third. OH NO! The dressing was horrible and green and stained. The skin was a sickly dark green and black. But as I looked closer I realised that it was mostly the herb. I brushed it off and my skin was stained by the herb. The cut had healed to a small thin scar about as wide as a razor blade. I poked it and pulled it then tried to pull it apart, it had totally healed.

4. Colloid. Silver solution. I have access to the simple apparatus to make my own and good quality water to start. An anti-viral agent and purifier.

5. Gravel washes / scrubs in the river. Scours off old skin and revitalises the spirit. And hot oil massages in front of the open fireplace.

FaeryGodmother

Typical of my strange child- she likes the lemon and ginger tea better then the jello tea. :rolleyes: At least its working.

TomTom

Magnesium helps me with constipation. It strengthens muscles, including the heart.

Black cherries, fresh, or canned, or concentrated juice helps inflammation and reduces uric acid accumulations in the joints, and it good for gout.

Also good for the above is a tbsp of apple cider vinegar, 1 tsp honey unaltered honey in a glass of hot water.

Aloe Vera for age spots and red blotchy skin

Fragaria Vesca (wild strawberry) tincture for softening of tarter, swollen tongue, and sore mouth.

A bath with sea salt detoxifies.

Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda for whitening teeth.

I love this thread and am glad I found it :)

There is more but I have to to remember.

TomTom

ana luisa

Take 4 capsules of Cod Liver Oil every day at breakfast and lunch time (2/2). This gives your immune system an incredible boost. I use this for not catching colds and it's been almost 15 years now, and still going strong :)

celticnoodle

Sinduction said:
I've also used acidophilus gelcaps to cure bacterial infections in my how-shall-I-put-it "nether region." I inserted them, not ingested. I tried this after several rounds of antibiotics did nothing. And the re-occurring infection never returned. *round of applause for these gelcaps*
oh yes, I have forgotten this. you can also dissolve two tabs in some water and then add to your bath water to help.

sinduction said:
You can also buy ginger in a capsule for motion sickness/nausea, but I just drink ginger ale, or cola. I believe the cola syrup works much like pepto.
yes, i much prefer the cola, but my mother also would give us gingerale. you can even use the ginger spice in your spice cabinet, and mix a tablespoon in water--but it doesn't taste as nice. I suffer from motion sickness often, (due to an inner ear disorder), and go through a lot of cola as a result--it helps to keep it at a minimum and go away when the attacks come.

another great thing with the coke, I also have very low blood sugar, and I need to pop open a can of coke every now again when I'm feeling sluggish. it truly helps me get through the day. I'm sure some of it is the caffeine in the coke, but the sugar content in the soda is helpful too. Just wish it didn't pack on the pounds in the process. :D

and, don't forget oatmeal baths for when you have poison anything, or just want a nice relaxing bath that will also make your skin feel delightful afterwards!

celticnoodle

ravenest said:
3. Yarrow, easy to grow and a great healer. I had read that Alexander the Great's army carried it to treat sword wounds. That is a serious wound! So I tried it on a cut, that I believe needed about six stiches ( I have previously worked in a hospital, including Accident & Emergency and Operating Theatre). I chewed up the leaves into a poultice, held the cut together, packed the yarrow around it and bound it so as to hold the cut firmly closed in position. Then bound my foot to restrict movement. I kept still for two days and checked in on the third. OH NO! The dressing was horrible and green and stained. The skin was a sickly dark green and black. But as I looked closer I realised that it was mostly the herb. I brushed it off and my skin was stained by the herb. The cut had healed to a small thin scar about as wide as a razor blade. I poked it and pulled it then tried to pull it apart, it had totally healed.
wow! this is very interesting. I'm going to see if I can find a yarrow plant or some seeds and plant it myself and keep on hand.