Deck bent like a taco

karlwb

I live in a humid environment in the summer. As a result, most of my deck have a slight warp. My books have a tendency to warp when I happen to bring them into a dryer situation.
I can live with a warped cards but if they got too bad I was going to subject them to a very humid environment and then press them with a slight counter curve to offset the original warp.

I'm not sure what would happen if you got them too "wet". I once dropped a standard set of playing cards outside and they got rained on. I tried to save them but the cards delaminated from the opaque black glue they use to stick the front and backs together. If Tarot cards are laminated, I'm not sure. I'd be careful.

As far as ironing is concerned as was mentioned before, I'm not sure if that would delaminate cards either (heat activated adhesives?). I would try as low as a setting one can get and work up from there.

Good luck

AJ

why aren't you guys asking for your money back?

Anise

I was looking at some decks that I haven’t touched in awhile. Took a peek at my BBC 3rd edition, which has been stored flat for the past two years. Still had that infamous bend. I’d successfully Umbraed a deck before, and thought it might work on this deck if I did it only in one direction (against the curve). Lo and behold, my BBC now looks like a perfectly normal, level stack of cards! 1st pic before, 2nd pic after. That after picture is a few weeks after I umbraed the cards. I was afraid they’d spring back to the original shape, but it looks like they’re holding! Thought this might be useful for other bent decks people may have.

Note: I do a gentle version of this method. The first deck I tried it with I did directly on my wooden table edge, which left scratches on the face of the cards. Which is cool if you want a distressed/used look, but I just want my cards to be slightly softer and easier to riffle. So now I put a bit of padding over the edge and on top of that, I put a silky fabric so the cards won’t get marked. And when I pull, I don’t go anywhere near 90 degrees, or straight down.

Attachments

• 1st.jpg
    1st.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 170
  • 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 3rd.jpg
    3rd.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 166

Obsydian

My Mystical Cats has always had a slight taco to them. It was one of my first decks so I didn't really notice until later on.