How much would you pay...

spinnachie

I guess it really depends on the deck. I've paid $350, but that was a very special case. I don't think I'd ever pay more than $100 for a mass market edition, regardless of how rare.
I'm going to assume most people won't make a habit of spending 300 or so unless it's something really special to them

Do you mind sharing which deck?
Also I'm wondering a deck that cost you that much...do you use it for clients or personal...or do you just keep it for special occasions because you don't want to ruin it?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Alta

I have very occasionally be quite a lot for a deck. Trouble is I don't actually keep records of what I paid. The Storm Tarot was one of the highest, I vaguely remember it as being around $300. I'm not as likely now to be splashing out for an expensive deck, although to be fair I recently purchased Babalon edition of Tabula Mundi for around $150.

VioletEye

i can't remember the most i've ever paid, but i'm pretty sure it was less than $50. i also have the wild unknown, that might be the priciest? but i'm not much of a collector, so there's that.

however, there was one time that i saw a copy of the four heavenly kings tarot for $160 and i was dying!!! i can't even find a good link to show you, but it's a deck made in thailand that had two editions; gold and silver, both gilding. this was a gold one ~ oh, it is SOOO pretty. i gnashed my teeth and pulled at my hair, but in the end i decided that if i paid that much for a deck it would be too precious, you know? i hope whoever got it loves it to death.

generally, if there's something i've got my eye on, i'll lurk and lurk on all of the usual online tarot shopping meccas, and i'll usually find something affordable. if not, c'est la vie!

mrpants

I'm going to assume most people won't make a habit of spending 300 or so unless it's something really special to them

Do you mind sharing which deck?
Also I'm wondering a deck that cost you that much...do you use it for clients or personal...or do you just keep it for special occasions because you don't want to ruin it?

It was the Minotarot, and it was totally worth it. I only read for friends, family and myself (I'm a serious non-pro), and this one is great for an unusual story telling game in addition to reading as we do. I use it like any other deck in my collection, aside from the unusual game. I suppose I do handle it carefully, though.

(On prices: it's not uncommon to see outrageous asks on ebay and especially on amazon, for used and out of print decks. Most of the time, it's not worth it to pay over $100 for anything mass market, as there are a lot of them floating around. Eventually you will find a reasonable offer. )

Le Fanu

$350 wasn't actually the most I paid for a deck but let's say it was the most I ever paid for a modern deck and although I had the money and could do it again, I think today I'd think twice because at that price it isn't a deck I feel comfortable using - and proportionate to how much I like it, I think there's a discrepancy. I mean, I don't like it $350-worth.

Plus I have actually seen antique decks for this price and I think an antique deck is worth it and retains it's value - modern decks can fluctuate with tastes and reprintings etc.

Plus in the cold light of day I slightly resent what I paid so there's no real joy there. It's in a box in the dark, buried under other decks, being desirable.

G6

$55 is the most Ive paid. $40-55 is really tops for me. Mostly I like the $10-15 range.

PS - There are several other threads on this topic.

violetdaisy

I spent the most money on Seven Stars - Deck of the Bastard. It was a lot for me but I don't regret it. I have a couple around $45ish but most of mine are mainstream. As far as how much I'd be willing to spend on a single deck....including tax, shipping, etc, probably about $100 US dollars after all is said and done.

Lee

I believe I paid over $200 for the Blue Rose Tarot. That was a few decades ago. I think that was the most I ever paid. Of course, I haven't even looked at it for years. Since then, I've been wary of spending over $100. There's a deck, whose title I can never remember, that was really nice that was sold by the artist 10 or 15 years ago for over $300, I really wanted it but couldn't force myself to click "Buy" at that price. I don't mind paying a big price for something (as long as it's under $100) but it has to be something I really want. I just bought the Flornoy Dodal majors-only hand-stenciled deck with leather case, it came to $80, but I knew I'd be using it so it was worth it.

Maru

I've never paid that much for a deck, but I think it would seem to be a lot like buying a book that is out of print... if it has a lot of sentimental value to you, that you would just to love to "keep" for yourself... then yes, the investment of $300 might seem cheap to you.

There was a book from my childhood that I considered buying out of print (it was a translated book). Unfortunately my high school had the only copy. Thankfully it did come back into print before I dropped a chunk of cash to get a copy... though I wouldn't mind getting a copy of one of the original for the cover alone.

With Tarot cards I would be a little more fickle about paying that much because it would be like playing with a Mona Lisa to try to use them. So I think in those cases, if digital versions were available, that would be nice to print a separate copy... and keep the original to the side intact as a collector's item.

rwcarter

$800 ($888?) for a Pam-D deck from eBay followed by $600 for a Pam-B. Why? Because they are pieces of tarot history.

Rodney