Templar Tarot Study Group - The use of skulls in this deck

Kyrielle

Something to get started: Why so many skulls?

And the Magic Flute is always open to discussion. I'm studying music-related world mythology to see if I can get some insights that way.

Anyone wanting to jump on? Start here with any suggestions.

-- Kyrielle

Liliana

Hope you dont mind me participating, I dont own the deck but I know where I can see all the cards hehe

Im not exactly sure why so many skulls, its one of the things that puts me off on this otherwise amazing deck. Maybe they are reminders of our own mortality. Also the Knights Templar were surrounded by death, it was a dark time they lived it.

:THP

Jimilyn

Like Liliana, I don't really know why so many skulls, either, but wondered if it had something to do with the times the Knights Templar lived in. Life was quite different back then.

I looked back through the cards after reading your posts. I noticed all the skulls and some skeletons, too. But although prominent in some cards, not so prominent in other cards, and completely absent in many. They just seemed to be a part of what's going on in the cards, and didn't seem to "stick out" or "glare" at me. So as we discuss this more, it will be interesting to try to find out exactly what those skulls and skeletons mean. Their presence didn't put me off any any way...which really does surprise me since I'm certainly not inclined to desire skulls in the art I surround myself with. :D hehehehe

Jimilyn

Dragonfly

Hi everyone I just got this deck the other day have not had much time to look at it fully. But reading the book that came with it said the flute card was one that we need to meditate on. So here what I got from it. The angel is a form of our sprit that has broken free from I think the devil card. Now that we have overcome the things that bind us we are free to enjoy. I think the chain around the ankle is to remind us from what we broke free off so that we do not go there again. Anyway that's what I think I loved to hear your input. Blessing to all of you have a great weekend. :)

MeeWah

I did not notice the proliferation of skulls & bones until it was mentioned elsewhere on the forums some time ago.

I see the skulls as representing mortality or the temporal earthly life versus the immortality of knowledge, particularly of the spiritual variety.

In this earth plane, life as we know it is finite. It matters not what possessions or things one may amass--you cannot take any of it with you when the earth plane cycle is completed. Similarly, the physical body is left behind. It is merely a shell to house the soul during the earthly journey.

In Man's world, knowledge is usually synonymous with the intellect or the mind. Knowledge is power, albeit intangible. Knowledge is a function of the mind or the brain, housed by the skull. Each mind is an earthly expression or representative of its soul. Regardless of how brilliant or creative the mind, all that usually remains of the physical body after the soul passes on is usually the bones; however, the knowledge gained by the soul remains with the soul & becomes an intrinsic part of same.

The depiction of skulls seems to be a reference to knowledge both acquired & applied as well as representative of the respect accorded a vessel (skull) of knowledge.

Alta

I am going to quote from my own review of this deck to start: "The majors especially show the crucifixion in many of cards. It is the main theme of Judgement, but it appears often in the background, appearing in the bark of a tree, in the clouds or just casually woven into the busy backgrounds. Nails are also a prominent feature, as is the Christian Rose. The obsession of that era with death and skeletons, and even bones is very prominent as well. Curiously, pagan symbolism is mixed in with the Christian, many of the figures having the horns of the nature god. The Templars were very devoted Christians, if possibly somewhat secretive (with good reason) and obsessive."
The Christian era of the time showed a powerful obssession with death, and the use of bones and skeletons. But to me the most important feature is the depiction, over and over of the crucification. And the next most important feature is the use of wings. "Angels are present in many cards, but often in 'shocking' ways. With wings damaged, or destroyed. These are not the angels of the "Healing with Angels" cards. These angels are struggling and suffering. Even the devil is shown with red, distorted angel wings. Nonetheless, these images give the deck great power and strong vision. Despite the strong, if muted, colours, I would say this is a deck with a darker vision of life."
This deck has very strong themes and I would enjoy further discussions of them.

Alta

I copied the following from the interview with Allan Chester, published here on Aeclectic.

One question I get often is why do I use so many bones and skeletons in my art and what do they represent. I consider bones as our human structure that holds our spirits to the Earth plane. It can represent our mortal selves and the skull is the container of our eternal knowledge. As skeletons, we are all the same. It is our skin, hair and eyes that make us different in appearance. I do not think that bones represent death nor do I see death as anything more than another transition.

truthsayer

i was watching a show on archeology that made me think about the skulls in the templar. they were digging up an old monastery that got destroyed during the rule of henry the 8th. there was a huge mass graveyard. i didn't realize it but during the era the graves were dug, there was such a demand for graves that ppl who had been long enough for the flesh to have decayed away were often dug up. their bones put elsewhere to make room for the new corpse. in this monastery there was a pile of bones in a room reserved for them. a grisley thing to us but to them it was normal life!

then i remembered the scene in shakespeare's hamlet where the jester yorick is dug up to make room for the dead ophelia. that fits in w/ death and bones being such an ordinary part of life then. these days death has been sanitized so much by the funeral industry that these ancient practices seem horrific. our ancestors prepared and buried their own. i know my great grandparents helped prepare bodies of their own family for burying. the idea of doing such is repulsive to me but there wasn't a mortician to do it then. there weren't coffins or ownership of the grave a body was placed in. there are many ancient cultures that just left bodies out to decay as part of their death rituals.

so if the templar deck has bones strewn about then i think it's a wake up call to us that we aren't as far removed from our ancestors as we try to think. medicine doesn't cure everything. we all still face death one day. shadow is as much of the balance of life as is day. to forget shadow is to be in denial of reality. when i look thru the templar i'm reminded of my mortality and i still have much more i want to do before my time comes. the extra bonus is that it's so lovely to look at!!!!!!!!!

Maan

I only have this deck one day but it really makes me think!
I like the bones. Its does not make me think of my own mortality but it makes me think of the reason why whe where given bodies!
In my own vision if god/goddesses/universe or what ever you call it would have wanted us to be like the buddist monks or like catholics or protestants not "allowed" to enjoy the flesh, your body and the plesures it gives you ; they would not have given us our bodies.

The templar with all its bones reminds me about the things you can learn from existing in/with a earthly body.Learning to enjoy it, taking care of it and standing firmly on the ground!
I have a hard time with grounding as it is so what would it be like without my earthly body making me feel attached to the earth?

I hope this makes sence...its kindda hard to explain even in dutch so english is even harder :(

Love and light
Maan

truthsayer

i think i get it maan. are you saying you have a hard time feeling like you are in your body? i call it feeling like i am only a head that's disconnected from my body. if you feel "in your body" you would feel more connected to the earth and your bodily senses. if you feel more "here" then you are more present in the present moment and ultimately more alive. is this close?