Sun on the Death Card

tarotbear

Having ignored this thread so far ... {sometimes I think people take the Rider deck much too seriously for their own good} what does it matter? Today you get the card and see the Sun as setting; tomorrow you get the card and see the Sun as rising ... It depends on when and how it falls in the spread.

Remember, please, everyone - it's a still picture - it has to be interpreted 'in the moment.'

RChMI

tarotbear said:
Having ignored this thread so far ... {sometimes I think people take the Rider deck much too seriously for their own good} what does it matter? Today you get the card and see the Sun as setting; tomorrow you get the card and see the Sun as rising ... It depends on when and how it falls in the spread.

Remember, please, everyone - it's a still picture - it has to be interpreted 'in the moment.'
Studying the Tarot can be different from that of Reading the Tarot... Interpretation of the images is subjective, but the meaning of the symbols is objective.

Tarot, like most other psycho-spiritual works, can be seen to operate on a tetradic platform. It's four-fould nature being that of Exoteric, Esoteric, Mystic, and Occult. One picture/image within each card can be viewed in any sungular manner or in a collective manner of those levels, depending on the need of the individual and their present level of understanding. With the Rider-Waite deck, this is further complicated by the composite nature of symbolism embued by the author(s,) that being - Alchemical, Astrological, Gnostic, Hermetic, Masonic, Mithraic, Qabalistic, Templaric, and Rosicrucian.

As such, in one manner the Sun is setting, in another manner the Sun is rising. Trump XIII can mean both a physical death that awaits everyone eventually, or a spiritual death that one will either take or ignore as befits their personal circumstances.

Abrac

It could be rising or setting. I think that's the whole idea - to make you wonder. ;)

-fof

ArcanoMáximo

RChMI said:
Studying the Tarot can be different from that of Reading the Tarot... Interpretation of the images is subjective, but the meaning of the symbols is objective
I agree with that. And the objective part serves the subjective one at the moment of the interpretation, at least to me.
Even when some people read Tarot without have any idea of why that image is in that card...not deep enough for me!

retiredguy

Sun on the Death card again again

I would suppose it depends on how you interpret death. If you consider
death to be final then you might see it as a setting Sun. On the other
hand, if you believe death is not final but merely a transition then
you might claim the Sun is rising. This could also be true if you think
death really means change. I wonder what Waite and Smith
thought about the Sun on the Death card?

james the younger

the death card

look guys, i think a lot of you tend to OVER anylize the cards.THE SUN SETTING OR RISING DOES NOT CHANGE ANYTHING.the card is about change and/or transition.Don't any of you wonder why Deaths spur is not really a spur at all,but rather an arrow pointing to a cave on the opposite bank of the river?

Dulcimer

You don't have to think of Death being final to see the sun as setting. That is what I meant when I wrote "The fact that the sun is setting doesn't mean it, nor what it represents, is dying. Only that it is becoming hidden. To be rediscovered later."

True the cards are static, but the cards aren't read as static are they? Nor are they read in isolation, because "in the moment" everything is changing.

I would say that studying the tarot becomes the same as reading the Tarot. You bring the results of the study to your reading, don't you? You cannot, it seems to me, consider the sun to be setting when you study the card but rising when you read it, and vice-versa.

I can never agree that the sun is rising on this occasion and setting on that. There is a certain fluidity in the reading of the cards, a bit of give, a degree of flexibility. But not to the extent of flip-flopping the meanings of the symbols to make the reading fit. The interpretation of a card can be adapted to a reading, but always within the parameters of its symbols which are the bones in the body of the interpretation. "...the meaning of the symbols is objective"[RchMI]. Indeed they are.

And finally; yes, Tarotbear, I take the Tarot seriously. If death was wearing a fez I might think otherwise. But whether or not it is for my own good is not for you to judge.

Dulcimer

Cave? Good Lord, I never noticed that before. Just goes to show that even after 35 years there is still stuff to learn! Joy!

rainwolf

There's also someone between the horses uplifted leg and the gold-clothed figure. It looks like someone very very far away, lifting their hands to the air and looking up. :confused: