Square corners are lame

BSwett

Hello TdM'ers
Haven't visited for a while. Hope everyone is well.

I haven't 'played' with my decks for a while. Sometimes I take extended tarot breaks. But today we busted out my old home trimmed Noblet, and as always, it nailed the message with three fantastic and precise cards. Blessed deck!

Anyways, this inspired me to bring out my card collection and I started laying down cards in the bed, just looking at the faces and lines and enjoying some of the latest additions, like Yves' Burdel and Heri decks. I love doing this, but this time I came to the conclusion that those pokey sharp corners render a deck unusable for me. Yes I can look at it and enjoy the colors and art but there is no real connection or feeling yet from it until I soften the corners a little.
In my opinion, a tarot deck needs to be a friend who likes to be fondled, caressed, laid down without it getting snagged on fabric or skin.
Plus it's not that hard. There are some awesome super small radius corner cutters that barely change the ancient look and make the deck look finished and friendly.

My two cents, nobody asked, nobody invited my opinion but there it is. So if someone out ther is planning on releasing another historic tarot deck, please consider giving it a little edge love :)

Ciao,

Bryan.

Barleywine

This is what stops me from buying any of the facsimile decks. I don't find them very "user-friendly" and I have no interest in rounding the 312 corners on a deck of cards.

MissChiff

I'd have to agree....most Marseillie decks are pretty ouchie... The older I get the more it hurts to use them.. I don't see very well these days so I'm sure I would mangle the heck out off the decks if I tried to soften the corners...

Richard

This is what stops me from buying any of the facsimile decks. I don't find them very "user-friendly" and I have no interest in rounding the 312 corners on a deck of cards.

It stops me from using my favorite deck of all, the Pierre Madenié 1709. Maybe some day I'll round the corners a wee bit, but I hate to compromise their authenticity.

Barleywine

It stops me from using my favorite deck of all, the Pierre Madenié 1709. Maybe some day I'll round the corners a wee bit, but I hate to compromise their authenticity.

I know. So much thought and care went into its production that doing so seems like an affront. I decided to stop buying decks that I don't get some practical use out of, so had to pass.

gregory

I just did this on a deck I had trimmed. It took me nearly 10 minutes.... Oh GOD I see your point. Not :D Don't you have a corner rounder ?

But I LIKE the square corners. That's how they were, that's how a facsimile should be.

Barleywine

I just did this on a deck I had trimmed. It took me nearly 10 minutes.... Oh GOD I see your point. Not :D Don't you have a corner rounder ?

But I LIKE the square corners. That's how they were, that's how a facsimile should be.

No, since I don't plan on trimming any decks (I'm not "border-phobic," if I don't like a deck's borders either I don't buy the deck or just do my best to ignore them). But your experience with rounding is a good reference in case I ever do. I would probably be too cautious the first time around to do it in 10 minutes, though.

gregory

No, since I don't plan on trimming any decks (I'm not "border-phobic," if I don't like a deck's borders either I don't buy the deck or just do my best to ignore them). But your experience with rounding is a good reference in case I ever do. I would probably be too cautious the first time around to do it in 10 minutes, though.
I almost never trim. Though when I have printed off decks (legal ones !) I have needed to. But the Thoth - to see the geometry - was a MUST (and I didn't round ITS corners - that would have wrecked the whole point) - and the one I just did was the Pink.

Which had to be trimmed.

It wasn't a simple border issue. :bugeyed:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/tarot-pink-for-cancer/

I had backed it - not least for the cause, but also because of the quality of the contributors, so I got a copy anyway, and many of us were horrified when we saw the final layout. Trimming made ALL the difference.

BSwett

Fear not Richard. Snip away! You're not compromising authenticity but injecting life into it. Plus the special bonding that occurs after handling each card with love and care unlocks the true power of the deck.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=214627

Old thread with pics of my trimmed Madenie!

Thoughtful

many of us were horrified when we saw the final layout. Trimming made ALL the difference.

l see what you mean Gregory definitely a trimming job. But nice that the designers were mentioned and given their due publicity.
Have to say that Ciro's magician is wonderful, the best l have seen.