What medium should i use?

Dancing Bear

I have finally bought myself a Blank Tarot Deck..
I am trying to keep my mind occupied so thought i would start creating.
The card stock is passable..not overly thick but not too thin either.
I would have liked to create my own backs, but they came with backs on them already..
So I will run with that..
I will be trimming them as they seems too long for my hands. (todays Job)

What i want to know has anybody else created their own images on a Blank deck?
If so what Medium did you use?
I dont want the medium used rubbing off as i shuffle. so after a year its all big one ruddy mess.
Is there a fixative i can use to prevent that?
I am not looking at computer generated images nor do i want to paint, scan then print.
I would prefer to put the image directly on the card by hand.
I have water colours.
Ink
and Acrylic paints.
I like to use mixed media But only one paint type.. Acrylic or Water?
I dont think oils would do the job, But please do correct me if i am wrong..
I Am ok with using them too.

Any help will be much appreciated and i promise i will scan the finished cards and post em up..
I have full intentions of incorporating my Druid background with the gentle Buddhism, the spirit world, Runes , ancient symbols and earth based belief systems.. and try to stick to the RWS tradition, I know i will sway slightly away from RWS but only slightly. Especially with the devil card. I love my Cernnunnos in the druidcraft.
I will also def write a book of meanings for when i pass them down.

DB xx

rnaroundsue

Im not much of an artist myself, but Ive heard that there is a fixative that you can use on the cards, and have you maybe considered using colored pencils? I would imagine that those would stick to the fixative without rubbing off.

GryffinSong

I've made a number of cards for myself. I bought a huge set of permanent markers. They work great, are permanent without fixative, and don't smudge. I think if you want a watercolor effect you could use acrylic paints watered down with either water and/or gel medium. The acrylic would be permanent. Just be careful it isn't too wet or your cards might warp or delaminate. You'd want to practice I think.

Good luck!!!

Dancing Bear

Thanks for your suggestions!
I have already drawn the fool ( my version )
I have no idea how i am going to approach this.. whether to draw them all then paint or colour in or do one completely at a time.
I Like the idea of permanent markers..
I am leaning more towards acrylics though, but not completely sold yet LOL!!
I will most definatley test it.. the pack came with 81 cards.. so i have a couple for experiments.
Thanks for your time and suggestions..
I will let you know how i go and what i choose and see if i can find some fixative at the local scrapbooking store..
I do have fixative for pastels, charcoal and pencil drawings.. I am thinking it may do, but i will research first.

I am no good at drawing people though My fool morphed a few times LOL!!
I am better at pastels and can draw people with them but led pencil is a different story.. its funny how its working..
I know once i get those brushes into my hands it will all come good. and i will be able to give them depth and life.

DB xx

Dancing Bear

what do people think of lamination?

linnie

Namaste Dancing Bear... :)

You've already started so that's wonderful... The longest journey.... :)

Laminating? ... Well, I did use it on my prototype deck which I used for readings... it felt plastic, and clumsy, but it was tough and durable... :)

The other alternative which gives a nicer finish is the spray-on fixative which you can buy at most art shops (in Oz, anyway) ... You simply draw or paint the image on the card and then, when you are completely happy with it, take the card and the tin of fixative outside (it requires good ventilation) and spray the card following directions on the can.

I haven't used it for a deck as such, but I did some normal drawings using pastel type pencils which smudge and wash off easily... once fixed, when wiped with a damp cloth the images were untouched! Just because I don't know how well the finish that is already on your blanks will hold the fixative, I'd recommend sacrificing one of your spares to experiment with.

Good luck with it all :)

linnie

Dancing Bear said:
Thanks for your suggestions!
I have already drawn the fool ( my version )
I have no idea how i am going to approach this.. whether to draw them all then paint or colour in or do one completely at a time.

If drawing works the same way as creative writing, and if your creativity flows in the same way that mine does, I know I'd feel better completing one work before moving on to the next... Inspiration kind of free-flows, and I believe that the focus, and the energy, of each card will feel more authentic, more 'complete', that way... :)

Chronata

I have used the blanks before (with both Sharpies and acrylic) and a fixative is a definite plus with either medium.

The acrylic worked great (and is still holding up) with a layer of clear liquid matte brush-on sealer over it.

I suppose you can laminate them too...but that adds to the weight and makes them less flexible.
If you do go for lamination, I know my xyron cold laminator works great for it.