Publishers & Collectors: Is this true?

gregory

It occurs to me that Jordan Hoggard - a member here - self published an edition of 125 decks and was then taken up by Schiffer... (and yes, I bought both :D)

Babalon Jones

good to know! Sounds like it is only the big 3 who may have an issue with it, then. Hmmm, so many decisions.

I should be painting, instead of procrastinating and getting myself in a knot about this, lol!

tarotmama

gregory said:
It occurs to me that Jordan Hoggard - a member here - self published an edition of 125 decks and was then taken up by Schiffer... (and yes, I bought both :D)

Actually Schiffer was the one that expressed interest in my deck and then told me no because I had self published a LE version. Who knows if that was the *real* reason though. It was quite painful to get my hopes up and then have them dashed. :\ That said, I don't have any regrets about self-publishing either.

There are really SO many factors to consider that when it comes down to it, you just do what you must to get your deck out there. It's all a labor of love anyway :)

shadowdancer

be honest and up front what your intentions are to the tarot buyers out there.

Do NOT say it is a LE, and is not going to be anything other than a LE, charge a fortune for it and then release a cheaper / deck version only shortly after.

This did happen and it did cause problems.

If you intend at some stage getting it mass published say so up front. That gives people the opportunity to either go for the LE or wait.

For me it is not an issue that I was a collector and felt it was devalued. More the fact I had paid a fortune for it and then it was on sale for only $50 (less the books) days after the LE was sent to me.

Good luck :)

Davina