Devil's hand is reverse of Hierophant's, what are your thoughts?

ravenest

Thanks for that :thumbsup:

Speaking of Lucifer ... have you been watching Venus lately ? W O W ! 8 times brighter and bigger (looking) than Jupiter ( which has also been close in conjunction and close to earth ... a bit like the conjunctions around 2 & 3 AD ;) )

Venus, Lucifer, light and Lord of the World, 'divine serpent', Mithras, figure on World trump.

(It would make more sense if one could see the series of developmental images :

I posted them somewhere around here , with a rave about the development of the symbols and how they appear morphed on the RW World card.

Richard

......Another point to consider is the term "Lucifer," the "Morning Star," which is actually Venus. Venus was seen as adversarial as it seemed to rise a few hours before the Sun, seeking to supplant It. But Taurus, attributed to the Hierophant, is ruled by Venus, implying some "hidden attribution" that shows there is no adversarial relationship, all are manifestations of Love (in essence, energy directed at something or other)......

Jesus is also referred to as "Lucifer" in the New Testament:

2 Peter 1:19: “And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star [Phosphoros/Lucifer] rises in your hearts;"

Rev. 22:16: “.....I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”​

Zephyros

The Devil's hand itself seems to be in the form of the Jewish Priestly Benediction (in essence, Spock's hand gesture). :livelong:

I wonder if this isn't an intimation of a "new covenant," of sorts. Or maybe it's just anti-Semitic.

smw

The Devil's hand itself seems to be in the form of the Jewish Priestly Benediction (in essence, Spock's hand gesture). :livelong:

If Wiki is right would seem so

WIKI said:
In his autobiography I Am Not Spock, Nimoy wrote that he based it on the Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands, thumb to thumb in this same position, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), which has three upward strokes similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the salute. The letter Shin here stands for El Shaddai, meaning "Almighty (God)", as well as for Shekinah and Shalom. Nimoy wrote that when he was a child, his grandfather took him to an Orthodox synagogue, where he saw the blessing performed and was impressed by it.

There is an interesting reference further down with a possible explanation for the gap between the fingers representing the divine light which comes through the vehicle of the priest in blessing.

eta oops sorry should have read the earlier thread first - you have already mentioned this

Aeon418

True .... but in the RW world such knowledge is lost and one only has the ' typically dodgy ' 'Waite world view' .
But this example of Waite reinterpreting Levi, instead of merely translating him, gives you a window into Waite's world view.

ravenest

Jesus is also referred to as "Lucifer" in the New Testament:

2 Peter 1:19: “And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star [Phosphoros/Lucifer] rises in your hearts;"

Rev. 22:16: “.....I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”​

So Jesus can be Lucifer ? ... I better check with Gottlob Frege about that puzzle ;)

Zephyros

It also depends on what one means by the "Devil," namely who's Devil. In the Old Testament Satan isn't an agent of evil, he acts a prosecutor to humanity, taking Job as a personal project. At his suggestion that Job is so good simply because he's got it all, God kills his wife, sons and daughters, takes away his land and gives him boils that are so bad he has to scratch them with a shard of pottery. After all that, Satan is seen to be correct because Job ultimately does curse God.

Indeed the Book of Job has one of the most candid and interesting conversations between God and anyone, anywhere in the Bible. It is also interesting that Satan does not tempt Job, he merely afflicts him. The temptation is in giving up the Will of God when the relationship stops being reciprocal. The "test" here is to find godliness even in the occurrence of hardship, in essence "all existence is pure joy."

Richard

So Jesus can be Lucifer ? ... I better check with Gottlob Frege about that puzzle ;)

I didn't know you were into channeling. :rolleyes:

Russell and Whitehead essentially showed that all of mathematics could be deduced from Frege's axioms. However, I think it was Goedel who proved that an axiom system which could do that is inconsistent. I.e., every statement imaginable is true in such a system.

Hence, according to Frege, Jesus is Lucifer, and pigs can fly.

Actually, in mystical Christianity, Jesus was a bringer of light. Nothing too weird about that.

Zephyros

One could also compare the posture of the Devil and the Magician, that are similar. When analyzing their relationship I was reminded of Sauron who was a Maia of the Vala Aulé. His domain was the making of things, metalwork, craft, etc., similar to Vulcan :)livelong:), god of the forge. He was the one who created the dwarfs. Sauron took Aulé's domain and perverted it, making it all about power and ego.

In a way the Jupiter symbol is reminiscent of this, creation taken to its more solid, earthly form. The Hierophant, on the other hand, would perhaps deal more in theory, hence the "sadism" Crowley speaks about in his deck. There two cards are also parallel on the Tree, which to me has always indicated they are the same "after another fashion."

Aeon418

The Hierophant, on the other hand, would perhaps deal more in theory, hence the "sadism" Crowley speaks about in his deck.
Just theory? I thought the Hierophant's "sadism" was a reference to his modus operandi. His blessing is a curse intended to destroy your Tower and open the Eye.
The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter
Mars is exalted in Capricorn. ;)