Is it wrong to double check with another deck?

The Happy Squirrel

To echo Happy Squirrel, I find it helpful to scan each deck's answer for patterns, which in turn develops my understanding. I find I like to go to multiple decks if it's a type of question I don't normally ask and the answers aren't jumping out at me.

I wouldn't do this for a querent. Only for myself. I guess I find it more helpful for contemplation and study.

That is a good point. I forgot to qualify: only for myself. However, this makes me wonder, if we can actually be a productive reader reading for others using different systems together to paint a clearer picture. I know readers who uses astrology and tarot together and they have been rather effective.

chongjasmine

I think it is up to you.
I don't double-check, but it is up to you whether you want to do so.

Tanga

That is a good point. I forgot to qualify: only for myself. However, this makes me wonder, if we can actually be a productive reader reading for others using different systems together to paint a clearer picture. I know readers who uses astrology and tarot together and they have been rather effective.

There's a whole Astrology section here on AT.
And why not use all the tools one has in one's belt? :) (perhaps one-day I'll have learned enough of other systems - Kabbalah, Astrology, Runes... etc. to effectively use a conglomerate system of my own. Not holding my breath though. :) But ofcourse - numerous readers do).

MandMaud

I don't think anyone has said anything about your reading that was all reversals: that could have happened because you were feeling a lot of self-doubt (about the situation, OR about reading on it).

Personally I don't ask the same question twice. Not without a good amount of time between. I have also given up rephrasing, because I feel that's the same as asking twice and if someone keeps asking me the same thing in different wording, I get fed up. :) Besides, as others have said, if we're taking the tarot seriously, you're just making the cards repeat themselves! (I know you're talking about different decks, but still, the way I feel it is "The Tarot" doing the answering - the universe, I suppose.)

I do find that each deck has its own "speciality" kind of question. For example I'm getting to know the Wild Unknown and the Illuminati, and for myself I find the WU wants to talk about me, my level of spiritual health and the home truths that I need to be told, whereas the Illuminati tells me more about others, and about "real world out there" stuff. At the moment, that is - may change by next year.

And every situation has these different angles to it, so if I wanted to keep asking on the same thing, I'd be able to ask the WU what my responsibilities are in the situation or what opportunities it holds if I have the courage to seize them, or what I should be aiming to do, those things... while I could ask Illuminati who I may find blocking my path or being helpful, if there are practical details I haven't thought of, that kind of thing. There are far more questions than "How will XYZ go tomorrow?"

So that's sort of asking the same thing of another deck, but it's more like having conversations about the same thing that's on your mind, with different people. Which we also do when we're considering something. Each occasion of talking it out / reading the cards offers new insight.

Thanks for this thread - got me to clarify something I knew but wasn't aware I knew, something I do but wasn't aware I do! :)

Richard

I double check occasionally, but not with a Tarot deck. I prefer to use a different divination tool such as I Ching or Runes (the real thing, not the silly cards).

The Happy Squirrel

Just to add that the most accurate reading I had involved 3 lenormand decks and a deck of tarot. It wasn't that I asked again and again, but because I am a 'young' reader, I have no idea what the first deck was saying. So instead of gathering the cards, reshuffling, and repeating the whole process like I am ignoring the first answer, I simple reached for another deck and asked what on earth is that other one talking about. It helped to be able to see the previous spread. I instinctively did so without knowing why, but now that I think about it, in a way, using more than the one deck is more 'respectful' (my respect for these things is defined differently, by anyhow) because you do not simply dismiss the first answer. You are simply asking for clarification, while the first answer stayed there in front of you to be considered throughout :)

Oh to qualify though: not only do I only read for myself, I also do only very simple spread. One to four cards, tops :)

Bloudwedd

I would say both yes and no. It is natural to seek an second opinion if you feel the answer is lacking. You would if you went to the doctor. But I would not do the reading myself if I wanted a second opinion. That would be like asking the same doctor: "Can you diagnose me a second time?". You would go to ANOTHER doctor would you not?

If your answer fluctuates from deck to deck I would say that it is only showing your ambivalence in this matter and how important it is for you.

Philistine

It's like drawing clarifier cards (which I almost never do). The more you introduce to the reading, the more you are now responsible for interpreting. You can't just keep going until you get the card(s) you like and pretend that all that came before is somehow forgotten.

Also, consulting multiple decks is a fabulous excuse to keep buying more decks!