Is it wrong to double check with another deck?

nord_drache

Again . . . Thank you one & all for the continued thoughtful replies.

Thanks for this thread - got me to clarify something I knew but wasn't aware I knew, something I do but wasn't aware I do! :)

Your Welcome :D Goes to show the value of asking questions and more so being involved.

I don't think anyone has said anything about your reading that was all reversals: that could have happened because you were feeling a lot of self-doubt (about the situation, OR about reading on it).
I had never considered that self-doubt one way or another could have that influence. The reading full of reversals was the initial one done with Alchemy which embraces the various aspects possible. That said the cards that were reversed were very positive ones that were toned down by reversal or advised caution.

Personally I don't ask the same question twice. Not without a good amount of time between. I have also given up rephrasing, because I feel that's the same as asking twice and if someone keeps asking me the same thing in different wording, I get fed up. :) Besides, as others have said, if we're taking the tarot seriously, you're just making the cards repeat themselves! (I know you're talking about different decks, but still, the way I feel it is "The Tarot" doing the answering - the universe, I suppose.)

I do find that each deck has its own "speciality" kind of question. For example I'm getting to know the Wild Unknown and the Illuminati, and for myself I find the WU wants to talk about me, my level of spiritual health and the home truths that I need to be told, whereas the Illuminati tells me more about others, and about "real world out there" stuff. At the moment, that is - may change by next year.

And every situation has these different angles to it, so if I wanted to keep asking on the same thing, I'd be able to ask the WU what my responsibilities are in the situation or what opportunities it holds if I have the courage to seize them, or what I should be aiming to do, those things... while I could ask Illuminati who I may find blocking my path or being helpful, if there are practical details I haven't thought of, that kind of thing. There are far more questions than "How will XYZ go tomorrow?"

So that's sort of asking the same thing of another deck, but it's more like having conversations about the same thing that's on your mind, with different people. Which we also do when we're considering something. Each occasion of talking it out / reading the cards offers new insight.
Looking back upon the situation . . . what inspired the reading was a sense of doubt about the developing situation (and my greatest weakness is self doubt and questioning of my self). The reasoning I have come to realize for the 2nd reading wasn't truly a disbelief in that initial reading but a lack of perceived clarity since it didn't seem to totally relate to that question.

On a final note I personally believe that clarifiers can possibly lead down a path of drawing clarifiers to steer that final answer to something more palatable. Then again what ever works for each reader.

Thanks again everyone . . .
Jim

MandMaud

I had never considered that self-doubt one way or another could have that influence. The reading full of reversals was the initial one done with Alchemy which embraces the various aspects possible. That said the cards that were reversed were very positive ones that were toned down by reversal or advised caution.
Just to be clear, it doesn't always have that effect, and getting all (or most) reversals doesn't always mean this. Sometimes the reversals do mean what they mean, if you see what I mean. :laugh: Sometimes it means you shouldn't be asking this question! Or the deck is sulking! Detemining what a reversal is all about is where knowledge, experience and intuition come in... and I'm not a big fan of reversals (at the moment; could be a phase; I used to use them) so not the best to be advising on them anyway.

The reasoning I have come to realize for the 2nd reading wasn't truly a disbelief in that initial reading but a lack of perceived clarity since it didn't seem to totally relate to that question.

In that case it's what The Happy Squirrel said, asking "What was that last reading saying?" - similar to drawing clarifiers, I'd say. So not repeating the same question. :)

FLizarraga

I guess it all depends. (And of course nobody's gonna whip you.... :))

Personally, I have rarely done it. Sometimes I draw a card from an oracle deck, not as a clarifier, but as a complementary card, in the same way that I like looking at the shadow card at the bottom because I find it colors the entire reading.

But I have done it a couple of times. Not too long ago I did a reading with the Golden (Kat Black's), and the "resolution" card turned out to be the 10 of Swords. It was sort of a scary reading, so I decided to make my friend draw a card from the Thoth, which was... the 10 of Swords.

That was a New Year's reading for a dear friend of mine. So I spent months and months fearing that he was going to be the victim of some disaster (I was a total newbie). It turned out that his wife was pregnant and gave birth to a son, and now he is not the center of her universe anymore, which has been painful for him.... :)

MissChiff

If I have questions about the reading I go to my own reader... It helps me to go back through were I had problems and it makes me a better reader in the process...

nord_drache

If I have questions about the reading I go to my own reader... It helps me to go back through were I had problems and it makes me a better reader in the process...

Sadly I am not blessed to have such a resource at my disposal. This due to my location and I haven't met someone I mesh with.

I have no issues carrying on in this fashion as I am navigating through things smoothly and all things that require my attention get it.

Jim

Teyata

I don't consider double-checking with another deck wrong in any way; as many have repeatedly said, it's up to you where you stand on that. If it helps you, do it.

I personally have never double-checked and don't plan to. If a reading I do doesn't make sense at first, I try to see different possibilities for each individual card I've drawn. Might the energies of one card need to amplified or diminished in my life? Am I focusing too much on one card to the exclusion of the others? Can I break down the answer into manageable, step-by-step pieces? (I often do situation-path-outcome spreads to take care of this from the beginning.) Do I need to step back and take an intuitive look at the bigger picture? etc.

If I am still unclear, I pray for guidance and find other ways to answer my question.