Some simple tarot craft tips

Grizabella

I'm using stiff felt to make little beaded boxes for Tarot, Lenormand and Kipper and to use for crystals, pendulums and as keep-able gift boxes for other things. They don't add extra weight if you're carrying several to a venue where you're reading and want to take quite a few decks. They're very sturdy and yet they're a little bit pliable, too, and they protect your decks. Plus, other than the fact that an old granny made them all by hand and that's obvious, they're still attractive.

I'm also going to make some beaded stiffened felt tarot spread "cloths" as well as some that aren't stiff and can be rolled up if there's somewhere I need to take one.

ETA: I tried to upload pictures but the uploads failed so I can't really show any of them. I'll keep trying.

I've also crocheted some "undies" for some of my decks. I crocheted them to snugly fit so they can't slide around in the bags. In using just Tarot bags alone, I found that the cards can slip off the deck and get bent if they're in a bag that doesn't fit snugly. These little things I crocheted work out real well.

I'll see if I can get pictures uploaded a little later.

Nemia

Pictures would be great!

Grizabella

I'll try uploading them now. I don't know what went wrong before.

ETA: Well, I've uploaded a lot of files to AT and never had a problem but now it won't let me upload anything. I get the message "upload failed" on every one including some I know I've posted before.

Alta

I am not sure what's wrong. Attachments are definitely enabled for this section.

Grizabella

I am not sure what's wrong. Attachments are definitely enabled for this section.

I know it's not the forum. I'm sure it's probably something with my computer but I'm not computer savvy enough to figure out what it might be. This laptop is only a couple of years old, though.

ETA: Okay, I went and tried to upload the same photos to Facebook and they uploaded without any problem, so I don't know what the problem is here on AT, but it just won't upload anything I try here. I've never had any problem uploading to this forum. I can't figure out what the problem is but at least it's not my computer. Whew!

EmpyreanKnight

I like those Tarot magnets. I think I'm gonna create some and stick them on my Goals board, using the appropriate card for each target of course.

Nemia

I want to add some simple ideas for crochet bags (I wrote somewhere here on AT more about it, can't find it right now).

A very simple flap bag: you crochet a piece that is a bit bigger than the card length. Continue until you can wrap it around the deck incl flap. Sew together.

A drawstring bag: you crochet a piece that is about twice the size of the deck. Add a decorative border on the top side. Sew the whole thing together, put a crocheted string through the border.

A wrap: you add drawstring and buttons to a reading-sized crochet cloth and just wrap it all up. Push the button beneath the drawstring, great. You can also add buttons and button holes but then you have to plan some more.

The nicest wrap of all and an idea I'm really proud of! the cruciform wrap. You start with the lower part in the shape and size of a tarot card, then add at both sides enough for two more tarot cards, then go back to the former shape and make a triangular end. That's nice to wrap around a deck and to read with. It's less bulky than the simple wrap.

I use all kind of stitches, you can google them: moss, grit, blanket, suzette, iris and V-stitch... they all give nice textures.

Look at the pictures to get the general idea ;-)

Crochet is such an easy craft, so flexible, you can do pretty much whatever you want with it and there is such nice yarn around....

RiverRunsDeep

Nemia, your crochet work is so lovely! I have never seen a cruciform wrap. How unique! :heart:

Nemia

I made more cruciform wraps - each looks different. I want to show some because it's so easy to make them and they hold the cards really really well.

For each wrap, I find another way to keep it closed. Sometimes a thread made by simple slip stitches is enough - I add a button or bead at the end, and when I wrap around the thread, all I have to do is push the bead under it, and it keeps nicely.

For other wraps, I add buttons and buttonholes.

My earlier wraps had inner buttons, too, but I found that I don't need them.

It's so easy to do - I'm really happy to show others how to make these wraps. I add pictures that show the different wraps open, half closed and closed so you can see how it's done.

Nemia

And here are more pictures.