rules and regulations

Grizabella

I understand why you weren't allowed to do that. It's because you were wanting to redirect interest here and take members elsewhere. If you had a paid subscription, you'd be allowed to post in the Advertisement section of the forum if you wanted to, but even as a paid subscriber, you still can't use AT as a means of getting viewers for your youtube channel, or likes and subscribers or whatever. Most of our members already use youtube videos to learn from, so chances are, they may know about your site already. Now that you've posted in this thread about it, they'll be looking for it, anyway, even if they hadn't found you already. :)

Coming back to add that the point with the rule is that people aren't allowed to come and post what amounts to spam in the regular threads of the forum. That's why you weren't allowed to do that.

Beancrew49

I understand why you weren't allowed to do that. It's because you were wanting to redirect interest here and take members elsewhere. If you had a paid subscription, you'd be allowed to post in the Advertisement section of the forum if you wanted to, but even as a paid subscriber, you still can't use AT as a means of getting viewers for your youtube channel, or likes and subscribers or whatever. Most of our members already use youtube videos to learn from, so chances are, they may know about your site already. Now that you've posted in this thread about it, they'll be looking for it, anyway, even if they hadn't found you already. :)

Coming back to add that the point with the rule is that people aren't allowed to come and post what amounts to spam in the regular threads of the forum. That's why you weren't allowed to do that.

I don't think you're understanding my point though. If that is your policy on this site, then okay, that is the policy. The problem lies, however, in the hypocritical enforcement of this policy. One glance at the Tarot Decks forum shows a litany of people self-promoting, links outside of this site, and even people asking for money. How is that not spam and self-promotion?

I didn't create a thread saying, "Hey, leave this site and come look at what I'm doing over here!" I simply added a link to my channel after a very long in-depth reading. I didn't ask for money, likes, or subscribers. I simply said that if you liked this reading you can see more on my site. And then I was threatened with banishment via PM.

Meanwhile, I see this going on. These are just a few from the front page:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=273181

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=274226

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=272388

So forgive me if I'm receiving mixed messages. Which one is it? Shameless self promotion and links outside this site are allowed, or are they a banable offense?

AJ

ability to post links to a deck in progress is a newish permission. It hasn't always been ok, in fact, deck creation thread might have been created for that reason.

It wasn't very long ago the largest portion of decks being published was by big publishers. With the new small deck indie deck publishing opportunities, deck creators and users needed a place to connect.

You are missing an opportunity to point members to your spot by putting a link in your userCP profile.
When someone clicks on your username there will be a link to your page.

Me...when I see there is a new post in Banned Members, I hurry to see if it is me. :)

GotH

ability to post links to a deck in progress is a newish permission. It hasn't always been ok, in fact, deck creation thread might have been created for that reason.

It wasn't very long ago the largest portion of decks being published was by big publishers. With the new small deck indie deck publishing opportunities, deck creators and users needed a place to connect.

You are missing an opportunity to point members to your spot by putting a link in your userCP profile.
Been watching this thread in interest and I grade this post as most helpful. You gave an explanation and a possible solution. :thumbsup:

Me...when I see there is a new post in Banned Members, I hurry to see if it is me. :)
This just made me laugh after a stressful morning.. Thanks. :laugh:

Beancrew49

But what about indie tarot readers looking to connect? I recently started my channel and have less than 150 subs, yet I feel as though I have something valuable to share with the tarot community, just as much as young artists using indie publishers to create a deck. The only difference is that my product is free. I try to share my free product, I get banned. Others try to sell their product, no repercussions. I think it should be all or nothing. This half-way enforcement thing screams of a negative bias towards the Youtube platform more than anything else.

rwcarter

So forgive me if I'm receiving mixed messages. Which one is it? Shameless self promotion and links outside this site are allowed, or are they a banable offense?
Your answer can be found in Aeclectic's Forum Rules in the No Advertising or Self-Promotion section.

willowy

I don't think you're understanding my point though. If that is your policy on this site, then okay, that is the policy. The problem lies, however, in the hypocritical enforcement of this policy. One glance at the Tarot Decks forum shows a litany of people self-promoting, links outside of this site, and even people asking for money. How is that not spam and self-promotion?

I didn't create a thread saying, "Hey, leave this site and come look at what I'm doing over here!" I simply added a link to my channel after a very long in-depth reading. I didn't ask for money, likes, or subscribers. I simply said that if you liked this reading you can see more on my site. And then I was threatened with banishment via PM.

Meanwhile, I see this going on. These are just a few from the front page:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=273181

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=274226

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=272388

I definitely get what you're saying,I don't think you did anything wrong in my opinion.I would find someone's videos really informative to watch and learn from-and then come back here,where most of us live lol.
I've not really had any dealings with mods,On the whole they seem pretty fair.I have sometimes worried that I may end up in trouble for not responding to every post on threads I've made but to me it just seemed too repetitive so I did responses in general to everyone who answered.I do get the need for feedback on reading that are given as if not I feel the forum would get totally abused.

Beancrew49

Your answer can be found in Aeclectic's Forum Rules in the No Advertising or Self-Promotion section.

Right, so my tarot-related product (Free to watch Youtube channel), which was posted in a relevant thread (Reading exchange directed at the person giving feedback) violates those rules how?

rwcarter

Right, so my tarot-related product (Free to watch Youtube channel), which was posted in a relevant thread (Reading exchange directed at the person giving feedback) violates those rules how?
Including just the relevant words:

Forum Rules said:
Therefore, we don't allow self-promoting, or soliciting visitors to your own or an affiliated website....

While you may think the link to your YouTube channel falls under the last exception:
Forum Rules said:
You have a Tarot-related product and you are responding to a directly relevant thread or question. Caution: multiple posts of this nature may be considered self-promotion.
That decision rests with the Moderator(s) of the particular forum in which you posted the link.

Rodney

Zephyros

Hi all, thank you for an important and though-provoking thread from which I’m sure we all learned a lot. Just to address a few of the issues raised:

1. Interpretation and Feedback: The rules about feedback and interpreting all the cards in Your Readings and the Reading Exchange are in place to protect the members and to discourage people from coming in to receive free readings at the expense of members who read for them. These rules were not in place from the beginning but were established over time because the moderators saw that such one-sided behavior was a real problem.

Aeclectic is a learning forum, and as such the full participation of members in terms of interpretation and feedback really is that important. When everyone participates, everyone learns.

2. Discussion of moderator actions: This is best left to private message, because such discussions usually lead to derailment of threads and it is important to keep threads on-topic. Should anyone have a problem with the actions of any moderator they are more than welcome to discuss the matter with that moderator, with the other moderators or with Solandia herself.

Moderator actions usually fall under two categories. One is moving threads to their proper forums (what we call “housekeeping”) and those actions are usually non-issues that are done routinely and with a minimum of fuss. Members should not feel that such moves are any criticism or sanction, because AT is a big place, it takes time for people to get to know the ins and outs of the forum and we're happy to help.

The second is dealing with all kinds of issues that may pop up such as off-topic threads or violation of forum rules for a variety of reasons. These decisions are generally discussed by the moderating team and different modes of conduct are weighed and then action taken. It is almost never decided by a single moderator.

3. Keeping on-topic: Some forums are rather more lax than others in terms of keeping to the original topic, and this is because of their nature. Some of the more scholarly forums tend to veer off topic and we take care not to quash lively discussion in them, but we do intervene when the topic goes too far off. It would be difficult to draw a specific line as to where a thread goes too far off topic because we’re all human and see things differently. However, again, we are always available to explain or even change our decisions if you present us with a good case, and moderator decisions have, indeed, been reversed in the past.

4. Promotions: The question of different types of promotions does come up from time to time and the rules are in place so that the forum does not get bogged down by different members advertising different things, even if the product is free. AT does provide several different venues for people who wish to put forth their own personal projects, it just asks that it be done in the proper place. Links may be placed in signatures, and for subscribers these are hyperlinks. As for the rest, the relevant rules have already been quoted in this thread, so there's no need to go into them again.

Feel free to contact any of the moderators if you have any questions or comments about these or other AT guidelines.