What is so special about linen cardstock?

Yelell

I'm really curious what it is about "linen" cardstock that is supposed to be better than ...... umm, other stuff :rolleyes:

Google search says
Linen Card Stock Paper. Linen is a semi-rough paper that emulates the look of linen cloth with slightly lifted grooves to give a textured feel

So that is the cause for the somewhat grid like pattern on the cards? It's not the end of the world, but it does seem a little weird. I'm thinking then it's basically paper made to look like linen fabric? I guess I just don't understand the point - is it stronger, longer lasting, brighter, bendier, less bendy, what?!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,498

gregory

I had my deck printed on both types by printerstudio. I can only speak for their stock - but the linen stock is MUCH nicer to handle, shuffles like a dream, is NOT that rough actually, and certainly feels more durable. I would not order another copy on the regular stock - that much nicer. Someone in the threads about my deck said how lovely it feels.

Now I do own one deck on "linen" stock that feels rather nasty - but I think the exact stock was chosen by the artist - so I'd say "it depends." If you are going with printerstudio decks, though - it really is superior to the regular.

Rhinemaiden

Linen stock feels like a standard Bicycle playing card deck... a dream to shuffle and use; as opposed to glossy, plastic coated stock.

I bought Gregory's deck on linen stock... also a dream to shuffle and use. :thumbsup:

Yelell

And you haven't noticed a small grid pattern on the surface? I wondered when I saw it on the independent decks I bought that were linen. The pic I posted before is from the ritual abuse tarot. In all fairness, it's small and I'm over-analyzing.

I haven't noticed a rough feel though, and they do shuffle well and feel durable. My last purchase was a gamecrafter playing card deck - I chose the non-linen and it was not super glossy, no grid, but perhaps not as substantial feeling.

gregory

You can feel it on mine if you try. But it is totally not noticeable - you have to squint to SEE it, I'd say. It's like most playing cards.

danieljuk

it's a lovely card stock, I prefer it to plasticated cards anytime :)
I have bought cards on linen with the grid so visible and without the grid. Gregory's deck does not have the grid that I can really see! I presumed it was something to do with the printing process? However all my linen cards are from Printerstudio.

I presume you mean by the grid, it's a bit like a LED matrix screen if you get what I mean, the further way you look at the card, the less you see it. Even with the grid, the card linen feels smooth and not bumpy.

Yelell

it's a lovely card stock, I prefer it to plasticated cards anytime :)
I have bought cards on linen with the grid so visible and without the grid. Gregory's deck does not have the grid that I can really see! I presumed it was something to do with the printing process? However all my linen cards are from Printerstudio.

I presume you mean by the grid, it's a bit like a LED matrix screen if you get what I mean, the further way you look at the card, the less you see it. Even with the grid, the card linen feels smooth and not bumpy.

Yep, that's it. I can't feel it, just see it. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer it to the glossy lamination too. I have an aquarian deck so glass-like shiny I can't use it under an overhead light!

Yelell

I think I found what I was looking for on makingplayingcards
"Our top of the range paper card stock is the 310gsm linen air option from Germany. It's similar to our 310gsm French linen cardstock but the card surface embossing (air pockets) are further defined which traps more air to provide an unparalleled smoothness in card handling." That must be why everyone says it shuffles so well.

Philippe

I wonder whether this linen cardstock is similar to what was called Toiline in France. Héron used it for ordinary playing cards or tarot nouveau during the 40's-50's. It made the decks slippery and smooth. By far the best cardstock I have ever seen :

Attachments

• P1010529.jpg
    P1010529.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,382
  • P1010528.jpg
    P1010528.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,382

cmarie

I really love the way linen card stock feels in the hands!