RIP Michael Hurst

Zephyros

I heard the name before but didn't know he used to be a member. What was his AT handle?

Laura Borealis

I heard the name before but didn't know he used to be a member. What was his AT handle?

It was mjhurst - he posted almost exclusively in Tarot History & Development.

prudence

Like Ross Caldwell, Michael Hurst shared his incredibly well researched knowledge of tarot history as well as his opinion of tarot. Unlike Ross, Michael's method of delivery was sometimes a bit sharp and off putting. He had a passion, and many of us benefitted from it.

DoctorArcanus

I was very fond of Michael's culture and wit. I thought of him as a friend, even if I never met him in person. I wish I had learned more from him. His enthusiasm for art history was contagious.

I will miss him.

Marco Ponzi

Alexandre

RIP Michael

One of my preferred teachers in the Tarot world, I`ll really miss him. Thanks Ross for sharing.

kwaw

Thanks for letting us know Ross. I hope he did know that his work was appreciated by some of us, despite the lack of expression of such which may have been lost in debates over minor details,; and certainly hope the many valuable and well-written articles he wrote (some of which dissappeared with changes of servers) will not be lost, and can somehow be preserved. For myself, I can say I learnt more from his sometimes caustic criticisms, than was offended by them; and, despite whatever disagreements over the years that we have had, was more in agreement with his general thesis than opposed to it.

RIP Michael, a rare too mind in the field of tarot history, I miss you.

Sentient

Thank you, Ross, for letting us know. His blog seems full of interesting research.

Yves Le Marseillais

Researchers deserves respect

Bonsoir/ Good evening all,

I did not know this man but his views about cards and tarot was always documented and his ways of sharing his knowledge was probably not always "P.C" but human are human and we have to accept differences.

Life is both short and long and anyway we are all passing on the scene just for a moment.
Thanks you Mr Hurst Michael for this track in the sky...

Salutations from Marseille City,

Yves

Sar

So many good people died this year....
RIP Michael!

Annush

I regularly read Michael’s blog and explored his ideas with big interest. I admired how he analyzed factual sources (literature, art) and based his interpretations of Tarot on it. I admired his clear logical way of thinking and writing. And I admired his sharp style of criticism, which was neither just a criticism for the sake of criticism nor criticism to hurt someone, but to help some tarot enthusiasts understand theirs illusions and avoid self-deceive, as he wrote “I don’t like being deceived. I don’t like being taken for a fool, and I don’t like others being taken for fools.”

Thanks to Michael J Hurst for such a valuable contribution on Tarot history and iconography.

I will always remember him as a great teacher, person of great spiritual power and great knowledge.