Recs for good Non-Illustrated Pips Decks

Madrigal

I have several Marseille and non-illustrated pips decks...

Grimaud Marseille
Universal Marseille
Madenie Marseille
Fournier Marseille
Marseille Cats (meow)
Ancient Italian
Crystals {Trevisan}

I'd like to add a few more but am not sure where to start. Visconti-Sforza? Seems an obvious yes but which one, Golden, Kaplan's or LoS or Packard's? Medieval Scapini? Maybe? Any others to recommend. I'm not really a collector but I do like to explore the different interpretations and gradations between decks.

jean bosco

Hey Madrigal,

for those graduations and characteristics you could have a look at,
-Flornoy's Dodal, Noblet or Vieville
-Piatnik's TdM which resembles Details from the TdM I (Dodal; Roy Despee), TdM II as well as later Decks like the Bologna (La Roue de Fortune).

mrpants

I highly recommend the Ludvig Tarot from Hungary as an addition to your pips collection, and I love to read with it. I have an extra available; meet me in the trading forum if interested!

dancing_moon

There are a few you might consider:

- Piatnik - a definite second vote :livelong:
- LoS Visconti Sforza - gorgeously cleaned-up, blingy - almost makes you feel you're holding the originals back in the 15th century, - and highly readable!
- Vandenborre and/or Vieville - for the many curious details;
- Minchiate - I love the LoS Etruria, but others are equally gorgeous and worth a look; and yes, you can read with them too :D
- Grand Etteilla - if you're up to something different.

It'll be curious to know what you'll pick in the end. :)

Madrigal

Thanks for all the responses. I recognize many of the decks listed and have gone back and forth with many of them for various reasons.

There are a few you might consider:

- Piatnik - a definite second vote :livelong:
- LoS Visconti Sforza - gorgeously cleaned-up, blingy - almost makes you feel you're holding the originals back in the 15th century, - and highly readable!
- Vandenborre and/or Vieville - for the many curious details;
- Minchiate - I love the LoS Etruria, but others are equally gorgeous and worth a look; and yes, you can read with them too :D
- Grand Etteilla - if you're up to something different.

It'll be curious to know what you'll pick in the end. :)

Thanks for these.

The LoS Visconti-Sforza is the one I decided to go with of the five or so easily available so it's good to see your rec here. Minchiate has been on my list for a while. Grand Etteilla- I go back and forth with this regularly.

Love that first link! Third one is rather similar and lovely too. I've got some decisions to make here ;)

h3ll0k1tt33

i have been dithering over which version of the Vachetta to get....hadn't seen that uncoloured one on gamecrafter before...thanks Laura Borealis!
i wonder what the card stock is like?

Madrigal

Okay, I think I've narrowed it down to the LoS Visconti-Sforza and a Vacchetta. I very much like the first Vacchetta linked in Laura's post and have contacted the rep but have yet to hear back. The LoS one appeals from an artistic pov but I don't love the keywords along the side. I didn't go with a Marseille because I'm awaiting this piece of loveliness, the Heri 1718 on the left.

Thanks for all the recs.

FLizarraga

Okay, I think I've narrowed it down to the LoS Visconti-Sforza and a Vacchetta. I very much like the first Vacchetta linked in Laura's post and have contacted the rep but have yet to hear back.

Well, that's the best of the bunch! Roxana I think her name is, will contact you with a total. I'm so tempted by this one, and by their Soprafino...

I didn't go with a Marseille because I'm awaiting this piece of loveliness, the Heri 1718 on the left.

"Piece of loveliness" sounds exactly right. :)