New Book by Camelia Elias

HOLMES

hmm

just based on the book description in amazon there,it doesn't look to be to much on marsielles based.

what is your take on the book itself,, does it talk enough about the marsielles to be considered a marsielles book ?

Patrick Booker

Well I haven't read it yet - delivered about an hour ago (Sunday delivery - courtesy of Amazon Prime). Probably less about Tarot than her previous book, but there are a number of spreads and all the illustrations refer to the Carolus Zoya (which is certainly a Marseille type deck). That is why I put the post here. There is quite a bit about magic as well, but she does tend to use the two together. Practical stuff rather than Tarot history. I would guess that those who liked her previous book ('Marseille Tarot') will like this. I will post something about the book when I have read it properly.

Patrick

Le Fanu

I've read the book description and the review and I'm no nearer to geting a sense of what the book is about. Odd blurb, an odd review. What on earth is this book about? Is it magic as in doing rituals or is it about cartomancy?

I loved her other book - Towards the Art of Reading - but is this a mixture of blog posts or is it actually a new book?

I'd order it in a heartbeat if it was about reading cards but I'm unsure about the magic element and whether it's more magic than card-reading.

1Eleven

I'm very intrigued by Camelia's work but I, too, would like more information on this book.

3ill.yazi

I'm torn on this. I loved her Marseilles book and religiously follow her blog, which this apparently draws from by my reading of the Amazon excerpts, but it's less related to divination per se. Still, like the first book, it appears to include concepts that are helpful to any reader. It strikes me as more more a good read and less an instructional text.

1Eleven

I'm torn on this. I loved her Marseilles book and religiously follow her blog, which this apparently draws from by my reading of the Amazon excerpts, but it's less related to divination per se. Still, like the first book, it appears to include concepts that are helpful to any reader. It strikes me as more more a good read and less an instructional text.

I'm with you there. I'm not sure who this is targeted to. For the most part, I read Lenormand and playing cards so I'm wondering if this is worth a purchase. I saw the sample pages but I'm still undecided.

Irischacha

I, for one, loved it.

If you are looking for a how-to on reading cards, this is not that book. Nor is it a history of Marseilles cards. So if that's what you want, I think this might disappoint.

That said, I really love it and it has already expanded my thinking on how the cards might play a role beyond my usual practice of reading. For me, it is a very useful, thoughtful meditation on the ways divination with cards can inform an entire magical life--the way they ask us to really look, and focus, and be curious, to ask the right questions. Card reading as a practice informs every chapter, and while some are more card focused than others, I believe there's at least one reading (with Zoya as in her previous) in every chapter, it's just that these readings ask questions ABOUT magic--if that makes sense. The last chapter or two touches on ritual beyond the cards.

I think a lot will depend on whether the reader is interested in how divination with cards expands and informs our lives beyond the reading table, if that makes sense at all. Because I am very interested in exactly that AND a fan of her work more generally, I'm a pretty biased reader, so take it with a grain of salt. But I've read all the how-tos and histories, largely thanks to advice from this forum, and this book is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for. But again, not a manual or history of the Marseilles cards!

There is some overlap with the blog, but a lot less than I expected, and where overlap occurs, I found the essays to be clearer and more focused or sustained, as I'd expect from a book.

I'm not sure this helps at all, but I thought I'd offer my take on it. And I'll also say that I finished it yesterday and started back at the beginning this morning to give a closer read--that's usually a good sign for me that a book has value.