Spinning tarot cards, what does this mean?

BillieJoDike

I was getting a reading once. This was my second reading I've ever gotten and during the reading as the reader turned over the cards and explained them they would start spinning. She said "oh you're a powerful one, I've never seen anything like this before " she didn't go into any other details about it. Im super confused about this and have no idea what it meant. Any Ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Barleywine

Sometimes, with a deck that has an especially slippery finish, this will happen to me when laying them out on a surface that is uneven or slightly slanted. I never pay it any mind.

Grizabella

I've never heard of it either. I think probably the reader is the only one who really knows what significance it has.

Alta

Um much spinning? They slid around a bit or did full Whirling Dervish, round and round?

BillieJoDike

Um much spinning? They slid around a bit or did full Whirling Dervish, round and round?

Round and round. Like a pinwheel. Fast. She'd put her hand on them to stop them but would start up again after she lifted her hand.

Nepenthes

showmanship?

Being a bit skeptical I would have pulled a level out of my pocket and offered to fix the table.

Alan

nisaba

I was getting a reading once. This was my second reading I've ever gotten and during the reading as the reader turned over the cards and explained them they would start spinning. She said "oh you're a powerful one, I've never seen anything like this before "

She hasn't used many decks that have developed a slight convex curvature due to weather and storage conditons, has she. Some decks deveop a convex curvature, others a concave curvature, others a diagonal one, some none at all. It simply means a deck is well-used. :)

minotaur

Magician's have been spinning cards for just about forever. There are several simple methods and some not so simple.

This fellow doesn't even need a table though his basic method would be easily adapted to a table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4DiPLFdkzQ

A more complex method would be to place an oscillating magnet under a table and control it with a remote. Shimming the tarot cards with a thin metal strip between the layers of the card would be simple and you could completely control the spin.

Nisaba's post about natural bends in the cards gives me yet another idea how this could be done.

Another method comes to mind that you could do in your birthday suit. Probably more methods would come too if I thought about them but I think you get the picture.

I suspect this reader is being a bit of a stinker...creative, but still a stinker.

Trogon

Being a bit skeptical I would have pulled a level out of my pocket and offered to fix the table.

... and I'd check for drafts, small fans, etc. This sounds to me like the cards have, as nisaba mentioned, developed a bend in them. The right amount of bend (not much needed really) and on a hard surface, they'd spin pretty easily. Again, like minotaur, the skeptic in me suspects charlatanism. However, the more open-minded side of me has to admit to the possibility of some kind of spiritual or other paranormal explanation.

nisaba

Nisaba's post about natural bends in the cards gives me yet another idea how this could be done.

It happens to me all the time when I use certain of my decks that have become slightly curved over the years I've had them. If they start spnning as I lay them dow, I simply stop them. Bingo - problem solved. It's ore of s issue if I happen to be using Tarotr deck to play Tarot Klondike Solitaire (which has adjustments to allow for the Major Arcana and the lack of red/black suits, but otherwise works the same). Whe initilly laying out the cards, if one strts spining, it'll push off-kilter the crds in the column next to it, which means I have to stop more thn one moving nd replace it to its originl position. It certianly doesn't predict dire happenings or wondrous blessings.