Book of Law Study Group 1.2

Aeon418

In addition to what I said above.....

Think of Atu 7 - The Chariot. The canopy above the knight represents the Infinite. The Knight is the HGA. The animals that draw the chariot are the elements of the ego. They are those things that we normally identify with and call "self". The animals are supposed to draw the chariot in the direction the Knight/HGA wishes to travel. But what usually happens is the animals pull in different directions, and the chariot doesn't go very far. Once the animals are trained to obey the Knight, forward progress is made along the road of True Will.

Aeon418

cardlady22 said:
And this leads into the condemnation and fear component: What if THEY want to force themselves on us?
The big difference between conventional religious veiws of God and the doctrine of the HGA is that the conventional veiw is dogmatic and rigid. It defines God for you. Tells you what God is and what God wants. And it's usually wrapped in superstitious commandmants and tribal tabbos that tell you how to behave, what to wear, who to have sex with, what bits of your body you need to chop off, what to eat, what to say, what to read, what to think, etc., etc.

And if you don't agree with that view you are instantly one of the infidels, the unbelievers, the Godless sinners who will burn in hell. Countless wars have, and still are, being fought over this doctrine of the One true God.

The doctrine of the HGA declares that everyones experience of God/the Infinite/the Absolute is unique and personal. The expression of this connection to the divine will also be unique and personal. There's no question of something forcing itself upon you. It's your True Self that's trying to manifest through you. Not some sort of alien invader trying to take you over by force.

Always Wondering

Scion said:
So (not to mess with Always Wondering's head further, but) it's not that something else is tying up the seats in the celestial realm, but rather that when we see clearly, we are intimately bound up in the celestial, but most are ignorant of that. It's not musical chairs, more like a daemonic waltz where we are all trying to find our partners. :D

Scion

:):D:) Go ahead and mess with it, that's why I am here.
The visual of a deamonic waltz is awesome.

AW

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
The HGA is the intermediary between the finite ego and the infinite. Part of it's job is to guide the stupid little ego into experiencing those things that it originally incarnated to experience. But the ego is like a petulant child. Because it doesn't see the big picture it will insist on doing what it Wants (in contrast to Wills) and if it doesn't get what it wants it blames the universe for being harsh and cruel and that God doesn't listen or care, etc., etc,.

Once again you are explaining me to myself.

I've got a lot to read and think on.

AW

Scion

similia said:
I've not thought of it in that way before, having always considered the HGA something somehow internal and hidden (which allows connection with something external), rather than something external in its self, which is the first step in a connection to the wider world of other external things. Its very useful to me to think of it that way.
(snip)
I'm quite taken by the way you interpret this line as descriptive of the "magical environment" but at the same time as advice or a directive even on a certain course of action. It takes the entire book from being an object of curiosity to be studied, to a functional guidebook.
I'm glad. :) But I do want to say something about the idea of externality. It's not that they're just external, but rather that we are addicted to the idea that the world can be sliced into these neat dichotomies: human/divine, internal/external, man/woman, moral/immoral. What I think is fascinating about the celestial realm (and I think what was fascinating to traditional premodern magicians) is that is was BETWEEN. It was liminal in every sense, as were its denizens.

So the daemons are external AND internal. I think I always emphasize externality because moderns always feel like the so-called "science" of psychology can explain everything as an internal state. In a way, it is a magickal environment, but it interpenetrates. Like daemons interpenetrate. As Aeon says, it's a case of A/Not-A simultaneously. But language is a cage and our meaning slips between the bars. There just isn't a good way to talk about something nonlogical using language designed by/for logic. Hence my point about art above. It's no accident Crowley was a poet.

Another trap with this kind of material is that Westerners tend to think of myth literally. We think of Heaven or Hell just as geographic locations. Of spirits and divinities just as powerful people. Of magic as sparkles and noise. Science and media have suckled us on this toxic tit: that the external is more real. Which in turn makes "spiritual" folks feel that internal states are somehow more transcendant. My degree work is in Religion, and anytime I see a religious structure that starts defining things simply and literally and doctrinally, I know I'm in swindle turf watching a monumental con.
Aeon418 said:
The big difference between conventional religious veiws of God and the doctrine of the HGA is that the conventional veiw is dogmatic and rigid. It defines God for you. Tells you what God is and what God wants. And it's usually wrapped in superstitious commandmants and tribal tabbos that tell you how to behave, what to wear, who to have sex with, what bits of your body you need to chop off, what to eat, what to say, what to read, what to think, etc., etc.
Contradiction is the lifeblood of spirituality. "Thou shalts..." and "Thou shalt nots..." are gruel for the dingdongs... prechewed morality for people too lazy or stupid to take responsibility for being alive. Even in the Yahwist traditions, there's latitude for personal responsibility but (as Crowley pointed out incessantly) all that dipstick baggage misleads and hypnotizes people. It's easy to stand in the corner fondling the robes and rings rather than getting on with the real business of saving the world from itself.

In that sense, the HGA is internal and hidden AND external and immanent. There is no veil between things that we have not woven., out of inability or the fact of ouyr mortality. Agrippa's three worlds were deeply and essentially connected. "The company of heaven" is unveiled as the celestial host AND as our infinite possibility AND as a matrix of psychosexual complexes AND as a bunch of scary nonhuman intelligences AND as the stars unfurled above us wheeling infinitely.

Modern astrologers like to say things like, "Whenever Mars is in my Ascendant I'm so angry at everything." Like Mars is transmitting the anger (a dippy pop-psych version of Kindi's stellar rays). But for traditional astrology Mars IS your anger. The sky isn't affecting you any more that you are affecting it. If things are connecte, then the link goes both ways: you move Mars and it moves you. This is why the decans were the "Lords of Time." }) Another proof that the "New Age" is effectively a terrorist cell of the imagination, pretending to point the way and secretly breaking everyone's back and feeding them syrup.

cardlady22 said:
And this leads into the condemnation and fear component: What if THEY want to force themselves on us?
Sure. What if? But more importantly: if they did, then what choice would we have? They are hidden and they are powerful. So, anyone who subscribes to a scoldy faith: good luck says me. When the daemons comme you don't have a choice: whther it's haunting or an abduction or a goblin market. It's traditional for dogmatic literalist religious institutions to get very upset about direct interaction between its members and the spirit world. Not to be rude, but how can religious instituions pay their rent if people start talking to the Saints themselves, or if angels heal their children without a tithe to the church up the road? So in a sense this comes down to worldview. The world is far more populated (literally and metaphorically) with people who are content to squat in their little circle and scrape up their sustenance before being buried a stone's throw from their birth-bed. But for what it's worth, if you study the doctrinal papers of insitutions that hold truck with things like damnation and possession and bewitchment, the transgression is always stepping outside the "protection" of having someone else do the thinking for you. Hence Crowley's ridicule of Osiric faiths and rituals.

similia said:
So this leads to the question, what does the HGA want from us? Why would the company of heaven be interested in unveiling themsleves at all? Do they want to participate in some kind of exchange with us, or are we forcing ourselves onto them?
Well, that would depend on who you're talking to. :D Valentinian Gnostics would tell you that the Archons want to keep us imprisoned in the bony world of Samael. Premodern Brits might say they just want a bit of food and a bowl of milk. UFO fanatics might tell you they want to convey a message of warning or blessing. The one thing that seems to be common across all cultures with this middle realm is the desire for attention. They want to be "attended" in every sense of that word. Which makes sense, because they are first-and-foremost hidden. Every action every manifestation, every anecdote about these spirts indicate that they want to interact and be attended. The rest is thematic sauce indicative of your worldview.

So in essence there is a practical guidebook quality to BOL, but as Aeon says it's not really for us, it's a guidebook for your HGA. Until we use those "new eyes" we're like tourists using charades to order dinner. Your HGA already understands... the learning is just remembering what you already know.

Again, I feel like I'm ranting. And I know that a lot of this daemonic material is getting us ooff track... I just wanted to answer some of these excleent questions. If all this starts to seem too personal, someone give me a thump via PM and I'll shut it.

Scion

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
Once again you are explaining me to myself.

I've got a lot to read and think on.
There's a bright side to this story though. Esoteric tradition states that the decision to start looking inwards for answers wasn't made by you. You're merely answering a call that was sent by your angel.

Aeon418

similia said:
So this leads to the question, what does the HGA want from us?
The HGA wants you to realise your true self. The HGA is your true self. But it's burried behind a work of fiction called the personality. That thing that you normally call your-self. But the HGA resembles nothing in your personality. That's why the HGA "appears" to be a seperate and distinct individual.

cardlady22

Aeon418 said:
But the HGA resembles nothing in your personality. That's why the HGA "appears" to be a seperate and distinct individual.

Cool . . . The Magic Mirror Gate from The Neverending Story!
"confronted with their True Self most people run away screaming"

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
One of the age old problems with conventional views of God is why does an all knowing, all seeing, all powerful deity bother to do anything at all? It can't learn anything because it already knows everything. There's nothing new to see because it's already seen all there is to see. And why bother doing anything with all that power when you already know what's going to happen anyway. Can you imagine anything more boring? Yet it's a problem that mainstream religion grapples with to this day. Various ingenious intellectual fudges have been set up over the centuries to get around this little problem. None of them stand up to close scrutiny.

How can the perfect Infinite explore itself and it's own nature? Experience it's own infinite possibilities? (Note the big difference between Infinite Possibilities and Actual Experience) By manifesting in finite form, thereby giving rise to a unique point of view with it's own set of finite possibilities, none of which is possible in the infinite state. For the purposes of gathering experience a tool called the Ego is used. The Ego does not realise that it is part of the infinite. It is immersed in the illusion of seperate existence. This illusion is needed to make the whole thing work. But it has one big drawback. The Ego doesn't realise it's here for a purpose (True Will). Instead it follows it's own selfish instincts, which are all based on the illusion of seperateness. Instead of following the True Will, it follows anything that preserves it's illusory sense of self.

The HGA is the intermediary between the finite ego and the infinite. Part of it's job is to guide the stupid little ego into experiencing those things that it originally incarnated to experience. But the ego is like a petulant child. Because it doesn't see the big picture it will insist on doing what it Wants (in contrast to Wills) and if it doesn't get what it wants it blames the universe for being harsh and cruel and that God doesn't listen or care, etc., etc,.

The Great Work is in surrendering to the Will of the Angel, who sees a bigger picture. Sounds easy. It ain't. The egos grip is very strong. For the majority of people that grip is only released at the point of death. The purpose of the Great Work is to, metaphorically speaking, die while still living. Get the ego to take a back seat and follow the Will of the Angel.

Thou hast no right but to do thy will. ;)
This post rearranged my whole Universe and put me at the centre of it, because it articulates a vague feeling I've always had.

Thankyou :)

\m/ Kat

Myrrha

I am still confused about what is being unveiled in verse two. I hope it isn’t too late to post about this here as it has taken me a couple of days to read these threads and even figure out what is confusing.

Aeon 418 said in the previous thread:
Aeon418 said:
Very crude metaphor alert!!! Don't take it literally. Please! :laugh:

Imagine a cluster of balls, all clumped together. Name it Nuit.

Focus in one particular ball in the cluster. Name it Hadit. Take that balls perspective. See how the Body of Nuit now surrounds you. Choose a different ball in the cluster. Take it's perspective. Once again, the Body of Nuit surrounds you. But your position is different to before. Your perspective on the whole is now different.

If this is what is unveiled then I am part of it also. I am one of those balls, call me Hadit, a point of awareness at the center of the universe (Nuit). And so are you, a different ball, Hadit, a point of awareness at the center of the universe. This is the company of heaven and I am part of it.
If I am part of it how is this everything remote? Why do I need an intermediary? Is it because it doesn't feel like I am part of it? In everyday experience we dont usually experience ourselves as profoundly part of and in touch with the absolute?

Scion says:
Scion said:
So (not to mess with Always Wondering's head further, but) it's not that something else is tying up the seats in the celestial realm, but rather that when we see clearly, we are intimately bound up in the celestial, but most are ignorant of that. It's not musical chairs, more like a daemonic waltz where we are all trying to find our partners. :D ("Wake World," anyone?) "Every man and every woman is a star" is a description of a relationship between men and women and stars as much as it is descriptive of their identities as stars. My point is that "unveiling the company" is a way of metaphorically unveiling the secret shapes above and around us so that we can begin to understand how we connect to them. All magick begins with a belief in meaningful connections.

But then why didn’t Crowley say “Every man and every woman has a star” ?

I thought the BOL was a statement of a new Aion, a new way of looking things and an expression of different forces than were in effect in the past. If this is so, how can what is unveiled be merely repeating the idea from antiquity that the real god is remote, and we humans are in the material realm and the daemons are the link and exist between?

If when Crowley says I possess "independant godhead" he means I possess an intermediary spirit between me and a "real" god which is external, then am I misunderstanding Aeon418's metaphor when I thought it meant that I am a part of it also?

I am not saying this to argue against Scion and I apologize if I have not understood. I see the attractiveness and practical utility of a world view that includes the daemons as intermediary spirits. I’m just not sure how it fits here with what Crowley is saying.

Sorry if I sound confused, I am!! :) And thanks to those who started and are contributing to these threads.