Astrology-related novels & fiction

MareSaturni

Apparenly Liz Greene, a fairly known astrologer, wrote a novel called The Puppet Master. It's a book that has disappeared from the market (or so it seems), but apparently it is "filled with Astrological reference" (according to the ONE review I found of it).

I know it has been translated to portuguse. I'll certainly look for it.
Has anyone else read it?

Just to let everyone know that I have read The Puppet master and that I thoroughly enjoyed it, even the confusing parts.

It's a historical fiction of good quality, filled with some astrological and mystical details that can be easily spotted and understood by anyone who studies these subjects. I think that someone who has no previous knowledge of astrology and/or mysticism will be rather confused in some parts, but that would not keep them from understanding the story as a whole.

It tells the story of king Louis XI of France, the "universal spider" who was responsible for dismantling the feudal system of the French noblesse by conquering their lands and creating a unified France. Against him is his uncle, René of Anjou, who is his opposite in every sense. The two are like the different sides of the same coin. Louis is pragmatic, cynical, hateful, brave and fearful at the same time, and constantly battling the 'shadow' he carries inside him. He's a brilliant strategist and a tormented soul. René, on the other hand, is a mystical and an artist, a man of enlightened mind but, unlike Louis, rather incompetent when it comes to politics and war.

Rene's oldest daughter, Yolande de Bar, also plays a very important role. She and Louis alternate the telling of the story, each giving his own point of view about what happened. The both address a mysterious character, they simply call him Monsieur.

It's almost an occult/psychological romance mixed with historical intrigue... and sometimes I found it a bit hard to follow. The Monsieur character is said to be a 'king', and is described as a man with blue-gray eyes. His actions are clear, but his purposes... not so much. By the end of the book I am afraid I could not fully understand what he wanted, and what was his connection to Louis and the purpose behind all the game... Oh well. Perhaps I was too obtuse to understand it, lol! I think I'll read the book again in a few years. :p

All in all, it's a nice little historical fiction, with a bit of romance and a good amount of astrological/mystical references. It's well-written and interesting, but it is not packed with action, so if you like dramatic scenes and battles you won't find it in The Puppet Master. For those who are looking for an astrology-related novel, I have to say that astrology is NOT the central subject in this book, BUT it appears very often specially in the description of people and as a 'time tracker' of some sort.

alan_annand

Astrological mystery novels

hi Marina -

I just happened to see your post this weekend and thought I'd take a minute to respond. First off, it's kind of surprising that neither you nor those who've responded to your post are aware of Steven Forrest's "Stalking Anubis" (published in 2002) which is a murder mystery solved by two friends, one of whom is falsely accused of murder, the other of whom is an astrologer. There isn't a lot of astrology in the book, but what exists is very well handled by Forrest, who is a seasoned astrologer and a clever writer to boot.

You can find his book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Stalking-Anubis-Steven-Forrest/dp/0964911361

Then there's "The President's Astrologer" (published in 1999) by Barbara Shafferman, which I haven't read, but one of my astrological associates tells me is pretty good.

You can find her book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Presidents-Astrologer-Barbara-Shafferman/dp/1567186742

Finally, there's my book, "Scorpio Rising" (published in 2011) , which is a mystery/thriller that has received great reviews from The Mountain Astrologer, the NCGR Newsletter, Suite 101 Book Reviews, Astrology Toronto, Steven Forrest, Michael Lutin, Ray Merriman and others to come.

The plot: A criminal profiler using astrology, palmistry and numerology investigates the killing of a New York City heiress, only to discover that her death is linked to two other murders on the same day: a dot-com millionaire in San Francisco, and the team leader of a CIA counter-terrorist project in Los Alamos, New Mexico.

Here's the link to its Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/scorpiorising.aa
and you can follow various posts there to the original reviews.

You can find it on Amazon: www.amazon.com/Scorpio-Rising-ebook/dp/B0050IOY6I

Just for the record, I'm a Canadian writer, professional astrologer, palmist and tarot reader. I studied first with the British Faculty of Astrological Studies, and practiced western astrology and tarot for 15 years. Then I studied with the American College of Vedic Astrology, and have since practiced Vedic astrology and palmistry for another 15 years.

- Alan Annand
alan.annand@gmail.com
www.navamsa.com

VenusRising

I highly recommend Mercury Retrograde book :).

dadsnook2000

Other books

Destiny Times Six. Katheryn DeJersey, an astrologer from Chicago put out this book which presents six astrological stories of her actual client consultations. Great storytelling and actual chart readings with actual results. A great way to see how a highly capable astrologer works.

The Case of the Missing Moon. Noel Tyl's collection of short stories illuminating astrology at work. A nice read.

What Evangeline Adams Knew. Karen Christino brings stories of the life of Evangeline Adams, highly noted astrologer of the early 1900's, citing many of her actual readings, the charts, and the client's stories --- along with the comments of Evangeline Adams. This is an insightful book about a master of using basic symbolism in a highly effective manner.

Any or all of these books will provide any early-studies student, as well as capable astrologers, a "wish I could do that" insight into astrological practice. Dave

callistoluna

Try Kim Falconer's Quantum Enchantment and Quantum Encryption series - they have a fair amount of astrology in them. They are basically a fantasy series set in a not so futuristic earth with a parallel world and lots of magic :) I thoroughly enjoyed them.

http://www.kimfalconer.com/books.html