Took time off and now I feel guilty

blackmoonbee

Not sure if this is the appropriate board

I took about 9 days off of my daily tarot practice after completing my competency exams and now I feel so guilty and a bit disoriented....I want to get back into my former swing of things if that makes sense but I'm struggling a bit and being a novice doesn't help at all...
Is there anything you all did/do to jumpstart your tarot practice after " time off"?
Advice, recommendations, encouragement, etc., welcomed!

Thank you.

nisaba

I took about 9 days off of my daily tarot practice after completing my competency exams and now I feel so guilty and a bit disoriented....

Why guilty? Have you caused actual harm to others? If not, there is no reason for guilt.

As to disorientation, you need to feel stable in yourself, Tarot or no Tarot. Try to work on your own self-confidence.

I want to get back into my former swing of things if that makes sense but I'm struggling a bit and being a novice doesn't help at all...
Is there anything you all did/do to jumpstart your tarot practice after " time off"?

If you're feeling a bit out of sorts, don't force anything. Just pick up your deck sometimes, and shuffle it. It'll start to feel comfortable in your hands again. When it does, pull the occasional card not to read them, but simply to admire the artwork.

It'll all come back to you. :)

HOLMES

well

you are a human being, and you control your tarot,, the tarot doesn't control you.

perhaps you could use this to change your daily practice to perhaps study a different tarot aspect. or perhaps your inner self is tired from all the growth you been doing (burned out) so you found a way to give yourself a rest.

yes , perhaps offer some tarot readings in the exchange, for feedback(I do it for I don't to think of a question to ask about ) and I find giving feedback to that feedback really helps to flesh out the reading.

or some other spiritual topic interests you,, hands on healing, medium, astrology, etc. so it is perfectly fine to take break and look at something else.

the only other thing I could advice is take a day or two to look at your daily tarot practice,, and look at it from a fresh point of view, perhaps something has changed so you have to alter some aspects of your practice.
(take a look at the daily throws section of the board for different takes ).

blackmoonbee

Why guilty? Have you caused actual harm to others? If not, there is no reason for guilt.

As to disorientation, you need to feel stable in yourself, Tarot or no Tarot. Try to work on your own self-confidence.

If you're feeling a bit out of sorts, don't force anything. Just pick up your deck sometimes, and shuffle it. It'll start to feel comfortable in your hands again. When it does, pull the occasional card not to read them, but simply to admire the artwork.

It'll all come back to you. :)

Guilty because I was on a nice consistent practice schedule and I feel like I fell off of my studies, like I'm not being a good student.

Disorient, not at all related to my self-worth, but reorienting myself to the cards their meanings, my favorite spreads. Almost like I'm relearning a bit.

blackmoonbee

you are a human being, and you control your tarot,, the tarot doesn't control you.

perhaps you could use this to change your daily practice to perhaps study a different tarot aspect. or perhaps your inner self is tired from all the growth you been doing (burned out) so you found a way to give yourself a rest.

yes , perhaps offer some tarot readings in the exchange, for feedback(I do it for I don't to think of a question to ask about ) and I find giving feedback to that feedback really helps to flesh out the reading.

or some other spiritual topic interests you,, hands on healing, medium, astrology, etc. so it is perfectly fine to take break and look at something else.

the only other thing I could advice is take a day or two to look at your daily tarot practice,, and look at it from a fresh point of view, perhaps something has changed so you have to alter some aspects of your practice.
(take a look at the daily throws section of the board for different takes ).

There are great ideas. I have to agree I think I needed to rest between my exams and learning/practicing tarot I was processing a low and am growing in so many ways. I think the break was necessary and helpful, I appreciate your advice regarding getting back into my daily practice.

Morwenna

Guilty because I was on a nice consistent practice schedule and I feel like I fell off of my studies, like I'm not being a good student.

Please, remember that you are in control of your own study schedule. And you don't even need a schedule, unless you work best under pressure (I sure don't--or maybe I do, but I hate it). It has nothing to do with time. Even professors take sabbaticals. And if you're doing this for enjoyment, please do not act as if it were work. Work is play if you enjoy it.

Personally, I'm a sporadic student. I study when I feel like it. Because this is something I do because I like it, not because I have to, I refuse to put nose to grindstone. I may be a bad example, but I'm sure I'm not alone. For me it's a hobby, not my bread and butter.

Original Destiny

I took 10 years off. And now it's as if I never put the tarot down in the first place. My approach is different as I've changed a lot in the intervening years.don't kick yourself let others do that

Alta

I took all of the 80's and the first half of the 90's off. Though that was because I switched to the I Ching.

JoJoCat

I took almost 20 years off if we don't count oracle cards as tarot (if we do count them as similar then it was still about 15 years off). Just got back into tarot this year and I feel like I'm better at it bc I'm more mature and more willing to listen to what the cards say. Also once I started it just felt less weighty and heavy. No need to beat yourself up! It's a muscle that will remember how to stretch and move!

Tanga

Disorient, not at all related to my self-worth, but reorienting myself to the cards their meanings, my favorite spreads. Almost like I'm relearning a bit.

Good Lord and Lady! - quit beating yourself up and start enjoying it. :joke: :heart: