Oops you included the promotional cards while shuffling

zhan.thay

All these answers are great. It shows I think that we have to be open for the unexpected and get a challenge to interpret what happened.

I once deliberately used a unicursal hexagram card in a Thoth deck reading but it's so long ago I can't remember why I did it or what it meant lol

nisaba

While rearranging your deck according to arcana, suit, and number/court, you noticed that you included the extra fly/promotional card while shuffling. Would you disregard the reading wven if these cards did not turn up in the spread and perhaps re-do it? Or would you choose to accept it anyway?

Of course I'd accept it.

What if a fly card turns up in one of the positions in your spread? Would you just set the card aside, pick a new card and move on, or will you lay the promo cards aside and re-do the reading?

I laugh, make a joke, and put the next card there. Unless it has an image on it that seems pertinent to me at the time, in which case I read it like any other card.

rwcarter

I would interpret the card(s) as I believe there are no accidents in tarot.

And to make sure that doesn't happen, I'll turn those cards over so their backs face out and place them behind or inside the LWB so I don't accidentally include them when I read. (I usually place my cards back in their boxes with images facing out instead of the backs facing out.)

Rodney

nisaba

(I usually place my cards back in their boxes with images facing out instead of the backs facing out.)

<nods approvingly> My similar technique is this: my dislike of and lack of use for LWBs is legendary around here, but now I'm starting to keep them. When I put the deck back in the box, I have the working-deck on one side of the LWB and the Title Cards on the other side of the LWB. If I throw out the book, I throw out the cards. If I keep one, I have to keep the other. :)

geoxena

I've discovered after readings that I left one or two of the tarot cards in the box by mistake, thinking it was only the extra promo card. It weirdly happened several times in a month. I didn't sweat it. The cards that were meant to be pulled were pulled and the readings were still good!

bellathebrave123

I use mine as bookmarks, that way I'm removing them from the deck so they can't get mixed up in there , pesky things :)

Achlys

I have done this before, but I've never actually drawn them while conducting a reading...I should do a test and see if they ever do! There are some decks that have promotional art cards...But most of them I read as a bonus card to be honest. If it was like a title card or something similar, I'd probably disregard it, but I tend to just throw those out as I get the decks to be honest.

EmpyreanKnight

Hmmm either I am becoming more careless or this is becoming a thing. Thanks for the insight, guys. :)

Barleywine

I was doing this accidentally all the time when I first got my Thoth deck with the two extra Magus cards (which, according to the publisher, were only bonus alternate cards and not intended to all be included in the same reading). Now I keep them separate, but at the time I just discarded the spread and re-did the shuffle and cut. Because of the way I believe tarot "works," I see no reason why a second attempt should be any less valid than the flawed first one, at least under these circumstances. (I do have a different opinion about doing a spread over-and-over again on the same question, but that's a different topic.)

AJ

And to make sure that doesn't happen, I'll turn those cards over so their backs face out and place them behind or inside the LWB so I don't accidentally include them when I read. (I usually place my cards back in their boxes with images facing out instead of the backs facing out.)

Rodney
I do as Rodney does, so it has never happened to me.

If someone was reading for me, I'd probably take into consideration what kind of extra card it was (there are quite a few different kinds) and the deck it came from.