How many spreads?

Nell

Hi everyone. This is my first post so I hope this question is ok. I'm interested to know how many spreads would be ok for a reading. As I'm starting out I had presumed only one buf it seems not ! Any input greatly appreciated thanks so much.

AJ

I use 3 to 5 cards as a rule. When I started more than that just confused me, and as I learned 3 to 5 was plenty for a well phrased question.

If you want to try a "spread a day" this will give your decades worth of fun and learning
http://www.tarotforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=56

welcome to AT, we love new members!

Barleywine

If you mean in a single sitting, my local clients usually pay for a 20 or 30 minute session, and I can get a single detailed reading (usually a Celtic Cross) into that time. I once had a client pay for two readings back-to-back because he found out I had the Thoth deck with me and he wanted a reading with that too. If someone wants a general life-reading and also a specific question spread and is willing to pay for the time, I would have no problem with doing both.

SunChariot

Hi everyone. This is my first post so I hope this question is ok. I'm interested to know how many spreads would be ok for a reading. As I'm starting out I had presumed only one buf it seems not ! Any input greatly appreciated thanks so much.

Welcome to AT Nell!

You can ask anything you want. It's a learning forum and that's what we're here for.

Imo, there are really no rules for Tarot. It's the kind of thing where the best way to find out what works for you is to try. If it works keep doing it, if not either change something till it does or drop it.

What works for one reader may not work for another. The trick is to find what works for you, without comparing yourself too much to others. The best way to find out is to try,

That said, you don't have to use any spreads at all. A lot of people don't, it's not necessary. I haven't used spreads for years now. i just pull one to three cards per question depending on how complex the question is and on how detailed an answer i feel is needed (then read them).

I would find it confusing to use more than one spread in a reading. I have used more than one deck, but more than one spread would confuse me, But it is calls to you and works well, go for it. :grin:

Babs

nisaba

Hi everyone. This is my first question on here. I am relatively new to tarot having just finished a course. I was wondering how many spreads most people would do for a client eg general specific etc. Any help appreciated thanks.

I tend to do one spread, occasionally two, for a single reading. All the spreads I use are my own. All of them are recorded here: use the advanced search function to start threads started by me in the Tarot Spreads subforum. :)

nisaba

I tend to do one spread. Occasionally, I might do two ifhtere were very specific and different issues. I only use my own spreads - they simply work better than other people's or "traditional" ones, I find. :)

Tamipie1

Interesting Question....

Depends on who you ask. I go so far as to take my reading and reshuffle the same cards, and lay them out in a different spread. I have taken readings and used a different deck - same spread to get a different view about the question. That said, I recently had a reading done, and the reader not only used more than one deck, but three kinds of decks - two tarot, three oracle, and a lenormand deck...so I think...the sky's the limit!

Nell

Thank you

Thanks for all the replies. They helped me enormously to clarify my own thoughts on the matter.

TarotSpark

Welcome to AT, being an old follower and a new member, I hope that you will like here as much as I do.

I believe that your question perhaps be answered by your intuition, rather than setting a rule for yourself, I am always in favor of breaking down the questions into subquestions, and drawing a card for each subquestion, for a simple question, however, three-card-layout might be perfect; like For/Against/Potential Outcome-Advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nell

Thank you

Welcome to AT, being an old follower and a new member, I hope that you will like here as much as I do.

I believe that your question perhaps be answered by your intuition, rather than setting a rule for yourself, I am always in favor of breaking down the questions into subquestions, and drawing a card for each subquestion, for a simple question, however, three-card-layout might be perfect; like For/Against/Potential Outcome-Advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I appreciate your thoughts. My instinct is less is more !