Robin Wood - The Star (17)

Rhiamon

I agree, I think sometimes we need to just view the card with intuition instead of trying to memorize all the symbolism...at least for me...now I am going to bed for real this time!HA!

CelticGirl

Wow Rhiamon, you were up late last night! I was passed out by 9:00 and I slept until 9:00 this morning...I must have needed it!

Anyway.... I can't remember if you own the Robin Wood book or not, is all that what she said in the book about the 8 stars representing the 8 sabbats and her being naked in her dedication to the goddess? I like this idea as well, but weird to use in a reading unless the question consists of something pagan related...

I have noticed in most of her major arcana cards her drawing images in the corresponding number of the card.... if that made sense... Like on the Death card the flag pole thing having 13 holes and what I was thinking about the stars (though I imagine that they have more meaning that this but...) There is one big star and seven small stars. 1 and 7 and the star card is 17.

Whooo knooows. LOL :D

Rhiamon

yes, I have the book...yeah, that's why I was confused also. I'm thinking that the woman represents being "between the worlds"...conciousness and unconciousness, she said also something about her meditating...I dunno....weird huh? But I like your idea about the corresponding card number, it helps me remember them in my head...hehe

CelticGirl

Rhiamon said:
yes, I have the book...yeah, that's why I was confused also. I'm thinking that the woman represents being "between the worlds"...conciousness and unconciousness, she said also something about her meditating...I dunno....weird huh? But I like your idea about the corresponding card number, it helps me remember them in my head...hehe

Geez, no wonder I have such a hard time with this card. Well, maybe someday it will just click in my head. LOL

spinningspider

This is a card that is always welcome when it comes up in my readings. "Starlight Vision," are the keywords Robin uses regarding it. If stars are indeed all suns, then for me this card has much of the same qualities as the "Sun" card...except, there's more mystery, intuition and, perhaps, unconscious energy surrounding stars than the sun. Also, the stars seem more feminine in nature to me...with the sun being extremely masculine. As a woman, myself, I am very much personally drawn to "The Star" card. It's a card that tends to speak volumes, tho' I must be quiet enough (in my mind) to listen...for it's message is akin to a faerie speaking.

On viewing the Star, my senses become acute...I smell the night air, feel the warm breeze (after all, the woman in the scene wouldn't be outside naked if the air was chill...or would she? She could be stronger than I think!), hear the special evening sounds of birds settling in for the night and bats beginning their rounds, see the predatory, ground animals wake up from their day of slumber to find food for their babies, and so much more... I'm reminded that a whole 'nother world comes alive at night and that my daytime reality is in the background during this time, NOT the foreground.

That large, eight-pointed star is central to whatever major issue is on the querent's or my (if it's my own reading) mind. It glows strong and lovely, as if saying "pay attention." For me, meditation is important to understand what I'm being shown with such a bright star...it helps me to get to the crux of the message.

The woman in the scene is near a brook, with one leg on land and the other in water, just as the winged man is in "Temperance." But whereas "Temperance" is shown in broad, sunny daylight, "The Star" is depicted in the starlight of evening. Both cards can strongly represent balance, but again, "Temperance" is more strongly masculine, whilst "The Star" is beautifully feminine.

The pouring of water on both land and back into water represent for me that both the conscious and the unconscious needs to be nourished. Water, the gift of life, is needed to make everything on earth grow...be it plants and beings in the water or plants and beings on land. I'm often reminded to take care of Mother Earth when I see this card...an environmental card, so to speak.

Ravenne

Hello

I also find this card a bit difficult and haven't got a proper meaning for it yet.
Here's my two cents:
Feeling calm and confident (she's naked, but not awkward about it). Generously sharing what you have: she gives the water (feelings, love?) to the land (or others) so they too can grow and bathe in the good vibe. But she also returns this generously to the giver: she pours the water back in the pond. So basically someone who generously and unselfishly spreads love or whatever it is she's got to give. Maybe this is also seen in the rings around the big star? Spreading out it's light generously, not holding back.
I think it could also mean fertility, both physically but also spiritually or mentally.
Looking at it now, I could almost link it directly to the maiden aspect of the moon/wicca; selfconfindence, open, honest, fertile, (getting) ready for the next step.
What do you think about this one, based on a position this card came up at the other day: soul mates. I base this on the stars, a star group. Soul mates and/or twin souls are part of the same star group. In that sense the two bowls could be seen as two parts of one whole (a sphere as mentioned by someone else too).
I will raise this issue concerning the position I mean elsewhere on the board, as I don't think it should be discussed here?
Summarized I think I feel this with the card: just go with the flow, everything is in balance, no stress, just follow the light, let it guide you (so go with the flow). It's a passive card, not one of action.
On a last, a bit cheeky note: she's a bit of a cheat too; she's not a natural blond - chuckle... (This is a jest, not a serious point, although one could apply "being totally open and not hiding anything" to it, haha.)

Ravenne

shiresun

First impression: This is a peaceful card, where silence allows the sound of the flowing water and those things that go unheard in the hustle and bustle of life, come to the forefront of our consciousness.

Image: Here is a beautiful Spring landscape, lit by the stars; one, BIG and bright with 8 point, and seven smaller ones circling the big one, also each with 8 points (wheel of the year?). Below, upon the surface of the Earth, is the landscape of the newness of spring; lush green grass with stark snow covered mountains in the distance. Center stage is a young woman, kneeling upon the bank of a lake, one foot in the water, and in each hand is held a bowl. One is blue, while the other is transparent. Our young maiden pours water out of each, the right flowing out into the lake, while flows out upon the land, making five streams of the liquid, wandering off in different directions. There is part of a tree seen off to the gir's left, its branches dotted with the first buds of the season (or maybe xmas lights?). A bird is seen landing upon one branch.

At first I am not sure I understand what I am feeling/seeing. It is like the silence in the aftermath of something torrential. This is the first time, I think, that I have, without prompting, connected any of the cards together. But here is the comparative stillness which comes at the end of something dramatic. There is not only the calm before the storm, but also after it. Both brings its own kind of expectation. In this case this is the beginning of things coming back into focus, back to order.

With the release of light, just before (from The Tower), there is quiet, gentle light, a slow growing illumination. Thus, after destruction there is a returning of the light; a sense of not knowing, yet, how things will take shape, yet waiting for development.

This is the time of the glimmer of the new things upon the horizon.

Keywords for The Star: calmness, new beginnings, stillness, fertile ground in which things can take shape. Hope. Relaxed, open minded. Healing and regeneration.