Which RWS ?............

SarahJoy

No matter how the question is worded you will find that a three or four page thread will have 75% saying they prefer the Pamela Colman Smith Centennial pack deck so that seems to be the winner.
Yep.

I prefer the muted colors of this deck. The coloration of most RWS decks is too bright and feels vulgar to me, but I love this one. The sturdy cardstock has never bothered me, and I love the silky matte finish.

bogiesan

Margo,
As you can see, there are only opinions.
I happen to believe every tarot collection needs at least one RWS deck, a Thoth and a TdM. There are dozens of Waite-Smith decks from which to choose; some use Pamela's artwork, others use Waite's systems, others take Waite's and Smith's ideas and march with them into unknown territories.

Find a deck you like and buy it but find comfort in the certainty you will eventually have several decks.

I also like to recommend people purchase their decks form local booksellers or a new age emporium. I like the folks who run Crone's Cupboard here in Boise ID, so I try to buy my useful decks and gift decks there.

Margo9023

WolfyJames

Personally I find the Universal fluffy, the artist put smiles all over the place when in the Original RWS most of the characters don't smile at all. I prefer the Radiant for the bold colors and that the artist kept the faces serious, that makes the cards more ambiguous since they're neutral and therefore more given to interpretations. I did not get the Centennial pack but it does look decent, better than the Universal, that is for sure.

Hi WolfyJames! Thank you. I'm considering the Radiant Rider Waite - I like the colors!

Margo9023

Merissa_88

I love the Albano-Waite. There's a US Games version that is affordable, though some people don't like the slippery cardstock. And the colors are very bright! (It's very '60s). I love it because it has one elemental color background for each of the suits (orange=fire=wands,etc)

But the Original or PCS Centennial are my favorites of the ones you are looking at.

Hi Merissa! Thank you. I didn't know they have one elemental color background for each of the suits. I'm going to look at them. I luv 60's!: )

Margo9023

Shade

When I started reading Tarot on the Mid-90s the Universal was all the rage because everyone felt it had "better colors" and no one could stand the flatness of the regular Rider Waite USG was publishing. Now the pendulum has swung and people turn to the Rider Waite and Pamela Colman Smith Centennial for a vintage fee.

I absolutely cannot do the Radiant Rider Waite - tangerine skies are not something I personally find very dignified ;-).

I love to use my University Press Rider Waite (very gently) or my Original Rider Waite if I'm letting anyone else touch the cards. I must get an Albano at some point just to see how it reads.

One thing I will say about flat colors of the more vintage decks, I often read in bars and placed with unusual lighting and the colors can really come alive under certain conditions.

Hi Shade! Thank you - I'm starting to really consider the Albano. : )

Margo9023

SarahJoy

Yep.

I prefer the muted colors of this deck. The coloration of most RWS decks is too bright and feels vulgar to me, but I love this one. The sturdy cardstock has never bothered me, and I love the silky matte finish.

Hi SarahJoy! Thank you. : )

Margo9023

Bogiesan

Margo,
As you can see, there are only opinions.
I happen to believe every tarot collection needs at least one RWS deck, a Thoth and a TdM. There are dozens of Waite-Smith decks from which to choose; some use Pamela's artwork, others use Waite's systems, others take Waite's and Smith's ideas and march with them into unknown territories.

Find a deck you like and buy it but find comfort in the certainty you will eventually have several decks.

I also like to recommend people purchase their decks form local booksellers or a new age emporium. I like the folks who run Crone's Cupboard here in Boise ID, so I try to buy my useful decks and gift decks there.

Hi Bogiesan! Thank you. I will put the Thoth on my list; I was actually considering that deck too. What is Tdm?

Richard

Hi Shade! Thank you - I'm starting to really consider the Albano. : )
Besides the original 1968(?) Tarot Productions edition, the best Albanos I've seen are the 1987 USG decks printed in Belgium. (The one I use exclusively is a Belgian-German edition.) My new USG Albano has sloppy printing, and the colors are exaggerated. (The Albano colors are based on P. F. Case's adaptation of the Golden Dawn color scales for the B.O.T.A. deck, which are not supposed to simulate the hallucinatory colors of a psychedelic drug trip.)

Inconnu

Hi Bogiesan! Thank you. I will put the Thoth on my list; I was actually considering that deck too. What is Tdm?

TDM is Tarot de Marseilles. It's not a RWS, GD style. It is the old established European style with generally agreed upon images. There are a few style variants. Non illustrated pips.

Check some out here; http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/marseilles.shtml

After a few years of neglect on Tarot studies I began again with a very modern pack, (Place) but as my interest branched out I quickly found the TDM, (again) & have fixed on exclusively since.

There is much variation here & much to be learned about origins.

KristinCali

Search for a video on youtube called "Rider-Waite Deck Comparisons" I found that SO helpful!