Reading Waite-The Doctrine Behind the Veil

Parzival

Reading Waite

wizzle said:
Symbols, whether of the tarot or other system of knowledge, open to us based on what we know and only to the degree of our understanding. Thus, I'd say that all people see symbolically, but that some see more than others. To those who see very little, the potential of the symbols is secret.

Nicely, discerningly said -- symbols are veils which some see through, to or towards the Mystery underneath, while others see the veils and that is enough for them. Exotericists rest in the appearance of the rock, esotericists look for the Divine hidden under the rock. It's easier, more secure to be an exotericist. But it's closer to deep-down Reality to go beneath the surface and risk being deemed a mad fool like Socrates. An Image is only a shadow over the Sun.

Teheuti

Teheuti said:
2nd Sentence -
"The theory is that this doctrine has always existed--that is to say, has been excogitated in the consciousness of an elect minority; that it has been perpetuated in secrecy from one to another and has been recorded in secret literatures, like those of Alchemy and Kabalism; that it is contained also in those Instituted Mysteries of which Rosicrucianism offers an example near to our hand in the past, and Craft Masonry a living summary, or general memorial, for those who can interpret its real meaning."
No one wants to take this on? I'll provide a little more info but I don't want to be the only one to do so.

Instituted Mysteries, btw, simply refers to formalized rites and rituals of the various mystery schools and organizations. These include the Eleusinian mysteries and those of Isis, along with 'oriential' teachings (which Waite doesn't claim any expertise in) as well as the Christian mysteries.

Behind all spiritual traditions is a mystical unity of intent.

The "Secret Tradition" is discussed at length in the Prolegomena to Waite's _Secret Tradition in Freemasonry_. He says (among many other things):
"The Secret Tradition contains, firstly, the memorials of a loss which has befallen humanity; and, secondly, the records of a restitution in respect of that which was lost. . . . The keepers of the tradition perpetuated it in secret by means of Instituted Mysteries and cryptic literature [the Grail Myths]. . . .

"The forms assumed, were, in respect of the Instituted Mysteries, of a ceremonial and liturgical kind; in respect of cryptic literature, there was more than one embodiment; in fine, there are some other forms which were emblematic in the pictorial sense, as for example, the pictures of Alchemy. . . .

"The evidence testifies to
(a) the aeonian nature of the loss [usually loss of a Word];
(b) the certitude of an ultimate restoration;
(c) in respect of that which was lost, the perpetuity of its existence somewhere in time and the world, although interned deeply;
(d) and more rarely its substantial presence under veils close to the hands of all. . . .

"The analogy of the Lost Word is the traditional Fall of Man. . . .

"Craft Masonry signifies a quest for that which was lost like the Word in Kabalism; for that which has been hidden like the holy Vessel of the Graal; for that which is communicated by God like the Mystic Stone of Alchemy; but Word and Vessel and Stone are all evasions. . . .

"This quest is embodied in allegory, in ritual, in legend, in symbolism. . . .

In other places Waite speaks of a mystical death and resurrection.

Here are some quotes from my RWS Minor Arcana article in the _Llewellyn Tarot Reader 2006_:

"The Secret Tradition consists of symbolic lore showing how a person is to make his or her heart into a sacred sanctuary and there undergo 'an intimate union which constitutes what is called mystically the marriage of the Hierophant.' The Hierophant’s spouse is 'the Shekinah [feminine face of God] restored to the Sanctuary.' Thus, the Secret Tradition shows the way to the Immanent Presence of God and the realization of that Presence. Waite felt the most important thing was an entering into the 'deeper understanding' veiled by the external forms of the stories and symbols. As he wrote in _The Holy Grail_, 'Everything depends on the individual mind’s capacity to make unto itself a living meaning behind the Symbols and the Sacraments.' This requires going beyond faith to a direct experience of Divine Will via, what he termed, 'internal organs of higher consciousness.'"

and
"In _The Hidden Church of the Holy Graal_, Waite wrote that the Secret Church (of which the Minor Arcana describe only the external form) is 'like the still, small voice; it is heard only in the heart’s silence, and there is no written word to show us how its rite is celebrated. . . . There are no admissions . . . the candidate inducts himself.'"

Mary

Cerulean

Trying see my way clear..Waite's words sometimes seem more a fog then a veil

II. First part of second sentence:

A. "The theory is that this doctrine has always existed--that is to say, has been excogitated in the consciousness of an elect minority"

Cerulean has to look up excogitate:

1. Verb: excogitate eks'kóji`teyt

1. Come up with (an idea, plan, explanation, theory, or principle) after a mental effort
"excogitate a way to measure the speed of light"
- invent, contrive, devise, formulate, forge

2. Reflect deeply on a subject
"The scientist must stop to observe and start to excogitate"
- chew over, think over, meditate, ponder, contemplate, muse, reflect, mull, mull over, ruminate, speculate

Derived forms: excogitated, excogitates, excogitating

Type of: cerebrate, cogitate, create by mental act, create mentally, think

B.Waite's Quote:
"that it has been perpetuated in secrecy from one to another and has been recorded in secret literatures, like those of Alchemy and Kabalism"

Cerulean:
I'll accept what he's saying as a fact of his experience.

C. Waite's Quote:
"that it is contained also in those Instituted Mysteries of which Rosicrucianism offers an example near to our hand in the past,"

Cerulean:
I believe the Instituted Mysteries as described by Teheuti as formalized rites and rituals of the various mystery schools and organizations is a good one for me to grasp.

In terms of the Rosacrucians and the example "near to our hand in the past," I recall that the foundations within Rosacrucian belief seem to point deeply into Egyptian wisdoms and past civilizations--at least that was my experience going to the Rosacrucian Egyptian museum in San Jose, California.

D. Waite's Quote
"and Craft Masonry a living summary, or general memorial,"

Cerulean's take:
From what I've read of Freemasonary rituals, they enact mystery rituals and pay tribute to their 'secret tradition' as perhaps ceremonial Buddhists/Shintoists of my past cultural affiliations.

E. Waite's Quote.

"for those who interpret their real meaning."

What I see is Waite is now extending out of his thesis there is a ' secret doctrine' he can see that has been known to the 'elect' or as noted before, the 'elite' who might follow Western Christianized forms of Rosacrucians, Alchemy and Kabbalah?

I'm still figuring this out, so hopefully it's not too foggy.

Cerulean

Satori

Very fascinating work being done here.

<edit>

wizzle

Really secret

I'd just like to point out that we may be getting wrapped around the axle a bit with our thoughts about what is a secret tradition or doctrine because things that were secret in Waite's day are now revealed. So I'm not sure we can speak conclusively on whether Waite was talking about the material he was under oath not to reveal or whether he is referring to the sort of metaphysical secrets that are reavealed to individuals who attempt to do "the Great Work."

My own guess is that his meaning, oaths versus revelations let's call them, changes based on the material he is discussing. I would say this bit that Mary provided
"Craft Masonry signifies a quest for that which was lost like the Word in Kabalism; for that which has been hidden like the holy Vessel of the Graal; for that which is communicated by God like the Mystic Stone of Alchemy; but Word and Vessel and Stone are all evasions. . . .
discusses revelations.

While the original quote from Waite
"The Tarot embodies symbolical presentations of universal ideas, behind which lie all the implicits of the human mind, and it is in this sense that they contain secret doctrine, which is the realization by the few of truths imbedded in the consciousness of all, though they have not passed into express recognition by ordinary men."
is probably a mix of the secrets/oaths of the Golden Dawn school as well as the greater problem of revelation.

Teheuti

wizzle said:
I'd just like to point out that we may be getting wrapped around the axle a bit with our thoughts about what is a secret tradition or doctrine because things that were secret in Waite's day are now revealed. So I'm not sure we can speak conclusively on whether Waite was talking about the material he was under oath not to reveal or whether he is referring to the sort of metaphysical secrets that are reavealed to individuals who attempt to do "the Great Work."
Later he refers to his GD oaths - specifically regarding the placement of the Fool and the assignment of Hebrew letters, but here he is talking about what you've called 'the Great Work,' which is another term for 'Secret Tradition.' It is secret not because it hasn't been revealed in print, but because it can only be 'known' through direct experience. According to Waite, it exists in the secret sanctuary (the adytum) of the heart, where one goes through the mystical marriage. Therefore, the Secret Tradition, as Waite meant it, exists as much today as it did when he wrote about it. You can find the 'lost Word' of Freemasonry in many books, but that doesn't mean you are any nearer to the truth.

Additionally, Waite didn't think much of occult organizations: "It is necessary to add that there is a lower sense of the Secret Tradition in Christian Times, being that of the occult sciences and the arts connected with or arising therefrom. . . . I have dealt . . . [elsewhere] with the Tradition in Ceremonial Magic, and have exhibited the vain pretence under which it has been suggested that the perpetuation through this channel was of anything that signifies to the mystic. . . . It is the art of opening the House of Life to the deeps rather than the heights," fr _The Secret Tradition in Freemasonry_. And Waite was all for the 'heights.' To him, the Major Arcana was far more than an occult tool as I'm hoping we will discover.

Mary

Teheuti

Cerulean said:
From what I've read of Freemasonary rituals, they enact mystery rituals and pay tribute to their 'secret tradition' as perhaps ceremonial Buddhists/Shintoists of my past cultural affiliations.

Waite didn't believe that most Masons had any real knowledge or experience of the Secret Tradition within their own rituals. His self-appointed task was to make this plain and point the way.

In Melbourne I got to meet with some very wise Co-Masons (friends of Jean-Michel and Pauline) who felt the same way. Masons from the all-male lodges who came visiting were constantly astounded by the depth to which the Co-Masons (all female) took the symbolism and their experience of the rites. I certainly wish I lived there and could join their lodge.

Mary

Cerulean

I was playing with Waite's words on thinking of how he is presenting his historical view... and seeing if I could do some word substitutions and come up with parallel constructs that might help me distangle his reasoning.

Based on what has been discussed, here's my attempt, with the original words in (paranthesis):

"The sutras or teachings of Buddhism (Tarot) embodies symbolical presentations of universal ideas, behind which lie all the implicits of the human mind, and it is in this sense that they contain Enlightenment (secret doctrine) within their scriptural narrative, which is the realization by the few of truths imbedded in the consciousness of all, though they have not passed into express recognition by ordinary men."

"The theory is that this Enlightment (doctrine) has always existed--that is to say, has been excogitated in the consciousness of an elect minority; that it has been perpetuated in secrecy from one to another and has been recorded in secret literatures, like those of Hinduism (Alchemy) and Far Eastern Buddhism (Kabalism); that it is contained also in those Rites (Instituted Mysteries) of which Shintoism (Rosicrucianism) offers an example near to our hand in the past, and Zen Temples (Craft Masonry) a living summary, or general memorial, for those who can interpret its real meaning."

I was thinking of starting with open-ended concepts such as 'psychology' to see if I could do parallels, and ended up substituting an open-ended and vague analogy of East Asian terms of Buddhist teachings. Although I think Waite's tone and choice of words seem dry, elevated and scholarly--so serious. I wouldn't choose analyzing his words for a merry, tender and gentle read!

Thanks for the discussion and assistance! I'll also delete this musing if not relevant--it might be my own wordplay.

Cerulean

Teheuti

Cerulean said:
I was playing with Waite's words on thinking of how he is presenting his historical view... and seeing if I could do some word substitutions and come up with parallel constructs that might help me distangle his reasoning.

I won't quote your whole piece but I agree with the general direction. On a mega-level the parallel is right-on - however, in terms of details there are significant differences between the Western and Eastern traditions. The only specific problem I saw with was you wrote was in equating Enlightenment with Doctrine. The doctrine is the body of teachings (dharma?) - not the goal itself - which Waite might call the Sacred Marriage in the Heart - that is, Union or Love (though he rarely used the latter word).

Mary

wandking

secret tradition

In his writings, while Waite obviously seeks a "secret tradition" in Freemasonry, he also appears interested in uncovering secret traditions in Christianity, which I suspect led him to Martinism. In 1899, he brought forth a study, representing perhaps the first significant English work on Martinism. Representing a turning point in his career, the text became the first of many on what Waite calls “The Secret Tradition.” According to Masonic historian R. A. Gilbert, “it was Martinism rather than the Golden Dawn that brought Waite into Freemasonry.” Waite shows continued interest in the belief in his last book, The Life of Louis-Claude de Saint-Martin in 1939. Waite spent final years in Bishopsbourne in Kent, According to Gilbert “his grave is now obscured by a thick growth of deadly nightshade — an appropriate parallel to the blight that has fallen on his reputation.” (as a historian/ writer)

Patrick