Random book find! "Exploring the Tarot" by Japikse

cassildra

I reached into a bag full of books to find something to read while at the courthouse for my disability hearing tomorrow, and the first thing my hand landed on was "Exploring the Tarot" by Carl Japikse. I saw one thread mentioning the book--from what I understand, it's a bit more esoteric than what is usually standard. Still, as a beginning tarot user, will it hurt to read it? Or should I find something else to take with me? I don't want to confuse myself just out of the gate.

AJ

I read everything I could lay my hands on, I'm an information junkie and that is how I like to learn. all of it was interesting, I kept what I wanted and left the rest. If I began again today I'd do it the same way, and would bet I'd keep a lot more :) It is such a deep subject if you wish it to be and there is a life time of entertainment and enjoyment in the journey.

But I haven't read that book. Best wishes on the turnout on your hearing.

rwcarter

Yes, keep what resonates and discard what doesn't. If you come across something you don't understand, don't fret about it. Move on. When/if you come back to the book at a later point in your tarot journey, what you didn't understand at first may make perfect sense later.

(I believe I have that book, but haven't read it myself.)

Rodney

cassildra

So far this book doesn't resonate with me at all. Maybe I'm just not ready for it--it's talking about the True Tarot or something, and how to read it for god archetypes. I'm going to put it aside for now, and read it some other time.

Thanks for the advice, y'all! :heart:

Barleywine

Interestingly, I was just browsing through the extensively annotated book list in Cynthia Giles' 1992 book The Tarot, History, Mystery and Lore, and came across this about the Japikse book:

"This solidly written book focuses on what author Japikse refers to as the "real" Tarot - that is, Tarot as a symbol system representing esoteric truths, useful for discovering "inner dimensions" of reality. He does approach Tarot as a means of answering questions, but he's principally concerned with questions of meaning and direction, rather than questions about everyday life." She also calls his style "clear and pleasant."

It's not one I own, although I believe I have something else by him.