Haindl Tarot: Lets Talk

MsAnon

Hello everyone!

Once a constant lurker of this forum, now a new member. I would like to start a discussion about the Haindl Tarot. People who are just starting or people who have used it for years. People who love it or people who may have found it difficult. Also people who are simply curious or on the fence. This is the first post I wanted to make on this forum as I am diving into this deck head first.

I was drawn to the Haindl Tarot after reviewing the full deck online. I noticed the heavy use of symbolism, made curious by the suit changes (pentacles as stones for example) , and I appreciated the use of spiritual figures from different cultures as the face cards. When I saw Chief Seattle, who has an association with my heritage and childhood, I was done. So I placed the order. As an activist in life, my empathy for the environment & the rage (lets just be honest about it :) ) that comes with it was suddenly nourished when I learned that Herman Haindl, the artist behind the cards, was a prisoner of war from age 17 to 21, and through the cards Herman was expressing yes the personal/psychological/micro associations the cards have to our lives, but also was attempting to show the societal/macro associations. It was the first time I had seen this in writing specifically for a deck, and was to the moon as I do this instinctually anyways (like the Tower has always been special to me, as when I first saw it in the R&W it sang to me of revolution) . And although I noticed in a lot of reviews people found them to be morbid or too gray, it just seemed to make sense in context.

I am reading through Rachel Pollack's book on Haindl's Major Arcana. I saw that a lot of people do not like her style of writing because it truelly is pretty densely stream of conscience. But I am actually really appreciating all the finer points she mentions about each attribute: color, Rune, astrological symbol, hebrew letter, and how Herman Haindl was attempting to weave these messages in each archetype/card. Ive been taking notes and will actually be making some cue cards because there is a lot here. And I appreciate her efforts of articulation because its what I attempt to do in real life with complex societal issues. Yes, Tarot is an intuitive art, but I find getting comfortable with the wealth of knowledge provided will allow your instincts to grow and for reading more will come to you with associations immediately recognized.

I have been working with Tarot for only a few years, explored a few decks a long the way, but this is also the first time I am really diving into one without illustrated pip cards. I know. But hey theres a first for everything, and perhaps thats for another post, just providing context. For some reason with this deck, I felt completely comfortable though.

So for the discussion, are there people in the community who would be down to dive in here and regularly discuss their current/past experiences with the Haindl Tarot. Right now I am studying the Major Arcana, but even the pip cards, experience reading them for people, really any insights are welcome. I tried to search and find a discussion already active but there didn't seem to be. As a newbie, apologies if there is.

Sulis

Hi MsAnon,

Welcome to Tarot Study Groups and please do take a look at the index of threads so far in this study group that dancing_moon has linked to.

It's much easier to find things here if we keep threads to one topic per thread so in Tarot Study Groups it makes sense to study one card per thread (usually)..
Please feel free to add your thoughts to the existing threads and if you want to study cards or topics that haven't been discussed yet, please start a new thread for each topic / card and send me a private message letting me know that you've started a new thread and I'll add it to the index.

There are some helpful guidelines at the top of this forum which you should read, here's a link: Tarot Study Groups Posting Guidelines - PLEASE READ

Let me know if you need any more info or help with anything.

Sulis - Tarot Study Groups moderator