The InnerCity Tarot - Gonna give it a go.

Ruby7

Wow LB. The charcoal looks great!! You seem to have an affinity for it (hard to believe you haven't used it before).

All the best,
Ruby7

Little Baron

It is behind me and sometimes I think he looks dreadful. And other times, he looks sleek and beautiful. I think that it needs to be built up before I can make a decision about whether this is the right medium to work in. I will chat with my illustrator friend tomorrow. I sense he will hate it, lol

LB

Chronata

Brilliant.
absolutely...brilliant!

And you are a brave brave lad for working with pastels!
Oh...they are evil, and as a medium I can't work with them at all...

Brave, Brilliant Boy!

Your images are just so rich ansd so incredible to me...

my advice is...

let them become who they want to...
don't try to force them as you draw...to be anything, and they will take on that animus...that life.

in fact, I think the last one you did already has.

I think the reason why sometimes he is dreadful, and sometimes he is beautiful...is because he changes.
It's the animus thing...

He certainly does for me, each time I look at him.

my own drawings and paintings do this for me too...which is why I listen to the very wise friends of mine...who insist that i cannot keep "tweaking" and touching them up...because some days I just hate the art style...or the way they look at me!

Keep going...I am loving everything so far!

Shaymus

I think he looks great. I still see that image to the left, but I think it's a good thing. When I look at it, I get the feeling of a shadow person to the other more obvious person. It makes me feel nervous and a bit afraid. I don't mean I'm being a whimp, just that I get some butterflies in my stomach when I look at it from that angle. I feel that the image I see on the left, is the real one in control. Does this make sense?

I think you should keep it like that. Evoking deep feelings is way cool.

Shaymus

magpie9

This is awesome stuff, LB--and I agree it's time we had a very urban deck. Both your guys (computer & Pastel) speak loudly and clearly. With your art style, I think you could combine them or just do some in each media and have it work, wonderfully.

There's a book I think you would find useful and interesting. It's called:
the Urban Primitive: Paganism in the concrete Jungle by Raven Kaldera & Tannin Schwartzstein. It's published by Llewellyn. $15.USD.It's not a "jokey" book. It's about the reality of inner city life for tree lovin' frog hugging Pagans, who hardly ever see a blade of grass, let alone have the opportunity to dance naked in the light of the full moon, without getting mugged or worse. The most available familiar around here is the cockroach, though I suppose you could make a case for the Feral Cat, if you wanted to.

What I'm saying at such length is that if you create this deck, there's a real market for it. Forinstince, I want one already! Yes, seriously.

Little Baron

Aww .. thanks Magpie. I think it is something that strikes heavily with my past - growing up in those kind of places.

And I have just done a little more - you should see the colour of my white top [it's not white anymore]. And each little stroke changes him and it is like he is evolving and coming further out of the shadows. I keep adding these little pics because he really is changing quite alot and so quickly. For example, he has already changed skin colour - and it seemed to be his choise, rather than mine. He has just gotten darker and I like him with that beautiful polished dark colouring [this is pleasant because i feel there are not enough multi-racial decks about]. He literally hangs off of those cheekbones. But he is no longer a fool. I will have to see how he ends up. It is only a practice, anyhow.

LB

Attachments

• not sure who.jpg
    not sure who.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 141

Little Baron

He now knows who he is ...

He will stand where the High Priestess does. Behind him, at the moment, are two high-rise tower blocks. Like the pillars in Waites card, he is in the middle, at the foreground. I think the rich blues in his top and hat point to her. He is a very mysterious fellow. If he is a fellow.

But as a trial, I do not think I can continue in these materials. They wipe away so easily and I feel like I do not have enough control. Even if I do like their mood. And my goodness, the mess. I am washing my hands every five minutes. So I am on the outlook for another medium. But I still think that the computer is out. But ... now I have this guy, I can try him in different places and see where he works best.

LB

Little Baron

Ahh, Chronata. I missed your post. Thanks for the advice. I don't think I can continue with pastels. But I will finish him off. Might post one more before bed.

LB

magpie9

Hve you ever tried Oil pastals? Not as messy, especially if you get the ones that come in pencil form. And you can make a "watercolor-like wash" with them useing oil on a brush.

Little Baron

Last bit for tonight. Picture quality not so wonderful from phone

LB

Attachments

• 11-09-06_2218.jpg
    11-09-06_2218.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 11-09-06_2219.jpg
    11-09-06_2219.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 137