Llewellyn Tarot - The Moon

gypsy_morrigan

I really think this is my favorite card in the whole deck! The artwork and general mood is just exquisite.

A huge, full moon rides low in the sky, radiating and reflecting on a lake surface. An owl swoops below it. The water is ripply and mostly opaque, except for a glimpse of fish and weeds. In the distance lie some ancient ruins, and clouds threaten to obscure the moon.

This card is very dreamy and serene, without the implication of madness as in other Moon cards. This is probably represented by the story behind the choice of location for this card, a lake into which young maidens threw themselves, crazed with grief. The actual imagery does evoke many meanings for me. The reflection of the moon on the water is an illusion, and the darting fish are the true thoughts that lie under the surface of the mind, in the realm of the unconscious. Owls are often considered omens or portents, and have been symbols for many things historically. This makes me think that the card depicts a dreamscape, or other alternate world that is governed by symbolic language. Despite the entirely natural subject matter of the card, it feels very "otherworldly" to me.

Ambrosia

Love, love, love this card! I really just love the simplicity of it. I think the water, fish, owl and moon representing our inner emotions and dreams is perfect. For me its all about the water as a symbol of the unconscious, and the pull of the moon. I really dont have much to say about this card, I cant quite put into words my feelings on the symbolism, I just get a sense of the dreamy and peaceful. I feel like the owl is about to dive into the lake and catch a fish which represents our inner knowledge. I also dont have a sense of fear with this card, I find it very tranquil and I am an air sign and love owls. I think the reflection of the moon in the lake is a symbol of our inner feelings being reflected outwardly, the process of bringing our innermost feelings and dreams out into the open.

flipperjane

There are many stories associated with this card - all quite enchanting. This one is taken from snowdonia heritage.info. For those of you that don't know Snowdonia is a National Park in northern Wales where Llyn y Morwynion can be found (Lake of the Maidens)

Lleu Llaw Gyffes, having survived the attempt on his life by his wife Blodeuwedd and her lover Gronw Pebr, is now seeking vengeance. As the enemies confront each other on opposite banks of the Afon Cynfael, Gronw Pebr asks that he be allowed to stand behind a large flat stone for his protection. Lleu Llaw Gyffes launches his spear, which pierces both the stone and the body of Gronw, who is killed on the spot.
In 1934 Frank Ward did discover a large flat stone with a hole through it in the bed of the Afon Cynfael. this can be seen today at a farm called Bryn Saeth (Hill of the Arrow) Another farmstead close by is named Llech Goronwy (Stone of Goronwy) - an alternative speling of Gronw.
The source of the Afon Cynfael is the nearby Lake known as Llyn y Morwynion, Lake of the Maidens. In the Mabinogi, Gwydion the Enchanter and the men of Ardudwy pursue Blodeuwedd and her handmaidens into the mountains. Looking backtoward their pursuers, they fail to notice Llyn y Morwynion and all are drowned except Blodeuwedd herself. She is transformed into an owl as punishment for her unfaithfulness.

Blodeuwedd means Flower-face which is still the name for owl in Wales today.

So in some ways I'm not sure that this is a very peaceful card as I first thought it was. Blodeuwedd or the owl can only fly at night and is ostracized by all the other birds, according to the legend. Tides of emotion is one of the very good descriptions in the accompanying book.

I am going to try and get to Wales this year and have a look at some of these gorgeous places

edit: I have just read that in some cases the card will illustrate a scene that began or will unfold in a direction beyond and unrelating to the meaning of the assigned card; in such instances it is the moment depicted in the scene of the card that is the intended focus of the reading