Anchorite Spread (6)

Alamaris

Anchorites were a pretty cool part of history! They were nuns, but not just any nuns -- they were Supernuns. These ladies lived hermit-like existences in their cells, which were often set underground with a high window through which the anchorite could touch the hands of visitors. Survivng by taking sustenance from villagers and being cared for by a priest or handmaidens, they lived far better than the average woman with a family. They were encouraged to open books more than pray, since reading was considered very good prayer, and they dug and re-filled their own graves each day as a form of memento mori. Their Rule, the Ancrene Wisse, was filled with practical information on how to live a good and holy life, even down to how to banish lethargy and how to eat well. They were encouraged to be as cautious of human contact as deer or wolves, so I like to see them as wonderful wild women, little bursts of light underground, spread out across the medieval world.

I was re-reading the Ancrene Wisse this morning and thought of this spread! It can be laid out any way you like.

The Handmaiden: who cares for you
The Window: how you see the world
The Grave: what you must remember daily
The Manacles: your duty
The Anchorhold: what grounds you
The Rule: how to live well

Zelmira

It sounds very interesting and intriguing. Thank you for posting it and sharing it. I will put it in my collection of spreads and give it a try later on. Blessings,
Zelmira

Masa

Yay, I love anchorites. What a cool idea. Thank you!