The Heart of Faerie

DragonFae

Also I know faunabay made comment of the titles being too bold and liking the more whimsical quality of the other decks titles and names...

I do agree somewhat with the whimsical writing of the first deck...although I must say the bolder titles do not bother me that much,.....the other were more other worldly like though

As far as actual names for the faeries that bothers me EVEN LESS....I found some of the names of the other deck rather hard to figure out how to pronounce or remember how to and in readings some times changed up how I was pronouncing them...I know that wasn't suppose to matter cause those impish fae change things all the time but it was a bit flustering to me...LOL..

With this deck I think I will let the fae tell me their names or what they want to be called...and use that name in combo with the titel on the card...AND yes my fae may tell me something entirely different than they tell you...but we will have the title to know we are talking about that same little imp!!

DragonFae

Sorry....another thought...there are soooo many...lol. But does anyone know...are the three "surprise cards" the unnumbered, untitled ones the same in every deck?

The ones I have in my deck:

A card that reminds me of the topsie turvets...lots of little mushroom like headed faeries

A card that has a faery with a unicorn horn kneeling on a red mushroom with lotes of other faeries in the background

A card thats sort of dark with a faery with tattered wings sitting on a mushroom or toadstool to the right of her is another small sprite like faery sort of tipstoeing by....there are other faeries in the background also.

faunabay

I would say the three "extra" untitled cards would be the same. Mine are what you described.

And the more I work with these "city" fae the less the titles bother me. They really bugged me at first but now that I'm talking to the fae myself, getting names, and getting to know them, the titles aren't bothering me as much. I'll bet after a while I won't even notice how different they are. :*

DragonFae

Another item of note...Wendy Froud does not believe in reversed cards so she suggests that cards be turned right side up if they appear reversed. This is different from MacBeth's book....in which she provides reversed meanings...

I know many never used reversed meanings one way or the other so I don't guess it will matter much.....sometimes the reversed meanings were helpful to me and sometimes not...I dont' really know how to handle it though if I use the decks together....use reversed meanings for the original and not the new...or just not worry about reversals at all....which is what I'm most inclined to do,...and just let the cards speak...sometimes they point to the reversed meaning and sometimes not...

irisa

Well suprise! I'm not buying anything right now, I have a huge, massive and doubly hugely massive bill to pay for some reconstructive work, but my other half saw this and thought of me twas all the hearts awww :)

First impressions, I'm a bit sad that Jessica didn't do this book, while Wendy Froud has done a capable job, it's just a companion book, whereas, I found the FO book as absorbing and exciting as the cards themselves and I love her inclusive style of writing.

The cards at first glance, while lovely (and I DO like them), these fae are a just a little bit twee, for me FO is the rock and roll while HOF seem more girlband/boyband. But once they've locked me in a room for a few hours I'm fully expecting them to show me just how wrong first impressions can be!

irisa :)

DragonFae

Interesting.....I was just thinking about the Jessica vs Wendy thing...some thoughts....

I LOVED Jessica's writing about Faery and the Fae...it really immersed me in the world and was interesting, entertaining and enlightening...it did add a real depth to the deck.....It was what I needed at that time....

And I know exactly what you mean about the more "surface" writing that Wendy brings to this deck...It is sort of a Bare Bones writing while Jessica's was like the meat and potatoes type of writing...the FULL MEAL so to speak...
and yet....I am finding it is exactly what I need at this time....

By having just the bare bones...I am much more likely to "listen to the faeries"....to explore the cards more in depth etc...yes I know Jessica promoted that idea also...don't get me wrong there...I realize that...I'm just saying the bare bones approach...."forces me" to do so .....and I am finding it liberating....I like it....

So for me....both decks and writers styles are exactly what I needed at the time....this deck is allowing me to more fully immerse myself in faery on a more personal level...NOW.....with that being said....I would think this deck and book would be LESS intriquing to someone who starts with it (without having experienced the first deck/book)....I would think having and exploring the first deck and Jessica's knowledge would be necessary to move to this deck...just my opinion of course...

pickled pixie

I have just received mine and on first impressions I have to say it's much better than I had hoped :D my only wish is that the fae had names like in the FO as it seemed to make them more real! as I said though this is my First impression and I didnt like the FO at first and now i love them to bits!! :) I haven't read any of the book though so cannot comment yet.

I'm gonna spend the evening getting to know my new friends...... :)

pp xxx

faunabay

pickled pixie said:
I have just received mine and on first impressions I have to say it's much better than I had hoped :D my only wish is that the fae had names like in the FO as it seemed to make them more real! as I said though this is my First impression and I didnt like the FO at first and now i love them to bits!! :) I haven't read any of the book though so cannot comment yet.

I'm gonna spend the evening getting to know my new friends...... :)

pp xxx
This is something I didn't like at all either. I liked having the names on the cards like the FO. But I"m asking the faeries what their names are and they're telling me! :bugeyed: LOL So just ask them and see what they say!

DragonFae

I'm still not sure about the "mystery" or surprise cards...haven't had a chance to speak to them yet...but I must say this deck is as mischievous as the other....had something really odd happen today...

I had just drawn Oh No! as my faery card for the day....which in and of itself was weird cause I was thinking how I hope I don't draw Oh No! cause I didn't want anything to go wrong today and then of course that is the exact card I drew...

Then I was writing feedback on the Feb Faery Seekers reading....writing about my interest in getting deeper into faery, something I've wanted to do for a while but never seem to just do it...take the plunge so to speak....and all the sudden this little toy pig that talks (its like one you put in the fridge or cabinet to keep you from eating...it goes off when you open the door)...it started talking...It was in the cabinet in the kitchen...Im in the office....but I can hear it...and I just think oh the cats must have batted the door open or it was open and they pulled it more or something...THEN the dang thing started talking AGAIN.....and I was like huh??...and then I looked at Oh No! who was propped up by my computer....and I thought...hmmm maybe it's faery mischief...sort of like doubtful but also ....wondering....and then the dang thing started talking again.....it has a motion sensor...BUT THREE TIMES....come on....so I got up and went in the kitchen....NO CATS.....the cabinet door was slightly ajar (not enough for it to detect any cat walking by) but nothing else really. so VERY ODD...so I took the pig out of the cabinet and turned off the motion detector...

DragonFae

faunabay....for me...these faeries seem to talk even more than the first deck...not sure why...maybe it is just me and I am more open to hearing them