Marseille 3-card combinations

strings of life

Bernice said:
So...... is the person represented by the knight about to leave his/her job?
Based on the cards, I think so, yes. There are some issues going on with the 8 of Swords; there's too much pressure. Even with the the stability of the 6 of Cups, there's something not right. He is strong-willed and will put his mind towards getting what he wants somewhere else or some other way.

Teheuti said:
I noticed that only one person mentioned the direction that the Knight of Swords is facing. According to standard cartomancy techniques (and Golden Dawn) a Court Card faces the future and is moving away from the past.
Wouldn't this suggest that the Knight is moving away from the situation? It is something that is in his recent past?

I would think that he's recently been successful (through his own efforts & skill) in overcoming difficulties, especially blockages or negative thinking of some kind.
I agree that he is moving away from the situation (his recent past). He is dealing with the issue based on what he has experienced (he is a Knight not a Page) and is able to access what he feels is going on, He is a thinker and, while he can be stubborn and driven (just look at him on that horse!), he sees that something is off here. Was it his own doing (part of what Herzog said)? Possibly.

I tend to include directions in most of my readings: where a person is facing, which foot is forward or back, which hand they are using; it all depends. Left = unconscious thoughts or behaviors, thoughts or the past; Right = action, plans and the future.

Bernice

Knight Swords + 6 Batons + 8 Swords
alec said:
Here's a reading using Mel's pips and courts system. Interpretation is based on:
* The element and power combination of the suit and number
* The dignity of the card based on traditional tarot game ranking
* The Pythagorean numerology for the number
* The suit emblem
Any deficiencies in the reading are a reflection of the reader, and not necessarily the method. (I'm still learning this thing!)

The question: A work situation
The spread assigns these meanings to the cards:
1. The Subject: the querent (Knight of Swords)
2. The relationship between the querent and their work (6 of Wands)
3. The Object: the quesited (The work situation) (8 of Swords)

.......(The Knight) can be expected to use all means necessary to bring about his desired end in the work situation. Bystanders should get out of the way. This is an active card, so the querent is putting energy towards the work situation.

......... So at work we could expect everything in a shambles after some kind of shakeup. It would not be a surprise if everyone in this work situation feels on their own or at odds with others.

........there is a tendency, especially for the active party, to go overboard in trying to work things out and make everyone happy. This is not a situation where everyone will be happy, and certainly with what has come before. Excessive efforts to smooth over hurt feelings and conflicts could put people on edge and exhaust the querent.

Overall judgement: (-1) + (-1) + (-2) = -4 Bad
Full text, Post #19.

Great system you've used here alec. If you're (generic) going to use Elements with the early decks then the original historical meanings are most fiting/suitable. You also got negative vibes from these cards alec :).

Mels system for interested members:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=112327

The direction the knight is facing:
Using 'visual interpretations' I would agree that he's looking away from the issue. Then I remembered about the horses in early tarot cards. The Sword Knight rides a Battle Horse. So yes aurarcana, this fellow appears to be leaving - maybe running away from some conflict?
~

Does anyone want to post another set of 3 cards, plus a life area that they relate to?

Bee :)

Bernice

Teheuti said:
I noticed that only one person mentioned the direction that the Knight of Swords is facing. According to standard cartomancy techniques (and Golden Dawn) a Court Card faces the future and is moving away from the past.
Wouldn't this suggest that the Knight is moving away from the situation? It is something that is in his recent past?

I would think that he's recently been successful (through his own efforts & skill) in overcoming difficulties, especially blockages or negative thinking of some kind.
Ah, I see what you mean, although visually moving 'away' from the issue(s) he's actually Moving into the Future having overcome some difficulties.

It's a amazing to see all these different takes on the same cards. I suspect that each would be appropriate for any respective querents because the cards 'speak' to the reader who in turn fixes attention on the querent.....

alec

Hi Bee,

Is there an actual querent and work situation? If so, it would be good to know if we're on the right track.

Quite a lot of agreement.

Alec

P.S. I like the suggestion of the direction of the rider - hadn't heard that before. Makes a lot of sense.

Bernice

alec said:
Hi Bee,

Is there an actual querent and work situation? If so, it would be good to know if we're on the right track.

Quite a lot of agreement.

Alec

P.S. I like the suggestion of the direction of the rider - hadn't heard that before. Makes a lot of sense.
My bold. No alec, we cannot do actual readings, they must be done in the forum Your Readings. But as I said before, we can state a life area. e.g:Work, Relationship, Project, Property, Domestic, Travelling, Finances etc. This is so we can relate the combinations to something rather than just go off at a tangent.

alec

Bee, thanks for the clarification. Understood!

alec

How about these three? The subject is a romantic relationship.
Noblet-tarot-swords-queen-320.jpg
Noblet-tarot-15-320.jpg
Noblet-tarot-swords-10-320.jpg

Deck is Noblet. Real draw. Fictitious couple.

This reading is again using Mel's Pip and Courts model. Based on helpful feedback received, the explanation is below and only the interpretation is presented at top.

Card 1 - Partner 1.
She has turned her back on the relationship and is planning her revenge. She will act in a manner and in a time of her choosing, to her best advantage, and to exert the most destruction on her adversary. God help them.

Card 3 - Partner 2
They are dictatorial, imposing and patient. This is the card of absolute and unbending authority. So this person has been honed through all kinds of trials in the past, and is now able, willing and determined to withstand all, get their way and prevail at all costs. They will stop at nothing.

Card 2 - The interaction
these two are locked into a painful, deadly struggle that will continue without end for a long, indefinite future, and likely for the rest of their lives. No matter how unhappy they may be, they will never release the other until they prevail, which given their natures, will not occur.

Assessment: Deadly stalemate

Explanation
Partner 1 is Choleric Phlegmatic. Since she is a court card, she is a dignified example of the suit of Swords and is able to draw from all four powers. She is the higher power of the 8 of Swords in the pips, which is confrontation. Her mind is razor sharp. She is the embodiment of planning, strategy and intuition used to get her way and completely overpower any opposition. She is like the "dragon lady" attorney in Albert Brooks film, Defending your Life. Since all 4 powers are represented, her timing and type of movement is random. This means she will act in a manner and in a time of her choosing, to her best advantage, and to exert the most destruction on her adversary. God help him.

Partner 2 is Choleric Melancholic. The shared power of Fire and Earth is Dry, which is dictatorial, imposing and of long duration. This is the card of absolute and unbending authority. The Decad (10) is representative of all, everything, billions. The suit of Swords gains power as the pip number rises. So this person has been honed through all kinds of trials in the past, and is now able, willing and determined to withstand all, get their way and prevail at all costs. They will stop at nothing.

Interaction
The devil is representative of Hell. This hell comes slowly, and is the result of choices and decisions that are made step by step until there seems to be no way out. Robert Monroe used to talk about people in hell realms who truly believe that those who come to offer them help are telling lies, and so will resort even to violence not to hear what they have to say. Likewise, these two are locked into a painful, deadly struggle that will continue without end for a long, indefinite future, and likely for the rest of their lives. No matter how unhappy they may be, they will never release the other until they prevail, which given their natures, will not occur.

Teheuti

She stabbed him to death (the Devil made her do it) and is now moving on. With only these three cards there is no indication whether she will be caught or not.

If you hadn't identified the 10 of Swords as Person 2 then I would have seen Person 1 (QS) as trying to turn away from an abusive partner (although there is no indication that she would be successful at doing this).

I see the 10 of Swords as the maximum point of violence or destruction, where there could potentially be a letting go and resolution (or stagnation, depending on other cards). However, its force affects most the person it describes, and you've set its position to describe Person 2. Therefore it is not what the Queen of Swords experiences, but what Person 2 experiences (if I've understood the spread correctly), and so he has received the maximum force of the Swords as a result of the animosity (evil) that exists between these two.

elvenstar

Theheuti :D

The Queen is looking outwards, away from the spread. She is on the surface more distant and may seem cold or less committed to the relationship. The other partner (the 10) seems more actively engaged in the relationship and enjoys creating challenges for the queen (two swords trapped in the mesh), to keep her interest alive and her focus, which tends to stray, on him. He is at the top of his game.

In reality both partners are fully committed to the marriage (ball and chain in devil), and this is a game, an intellectual challenge, a mock battle that they both enjoy. When it comes down to it they are both swords people of strong moral convictions who like a bit of tension and competition between them to keep things interesting, but always honour their commitment to each other.

My 'system' is mostly basic numerology and visual cues, with a bit of everything mixed in.

Rasa

Today, I'm interpretting these visually.

I think perhaps there has been infidelity, which the Queen wishes to ignore (her back is turned away from the situation.
I see the infidelity in the inclusion of the 3rd figure in the devil card (the devil him/her/self), perched in between the two of them, creating a fracture in the relationship. It makes me think of 'the elephant in the room'; the big problem that nobody wants to talk about, which quietly affects everything.
The partner (10 swords), is daring her to bring it up, offering openings (the space between the curved blades) in conversation, but with sharp (s)words ready to chop as they cross. She is withdrawing her hand, distancing herself from the situation so as to avoid that sharpness, but all the while holding her own sword at the ready, guarded.