Most Disturbing Tarot

Slime Mucus

I have plenty of childlike whimsical decks, (Including Shadowscapes and Animal Wisdom Tarot), and I have a bit of a collection starting. Right now, what I'm interested is the exact opposite. The most disturbing, nightmarish and macabre FULL 78 Tarot card decks out there. I'm not interested at all in a deck of only 22 majors. (Who is, other then for display purposes?) I think it would be a great addition to my collection, and for personal use. What are some of the most gut-wrenching and scariest decks you have seen?

I'm not talking about "Dark" decks that include every goth stereotype out there and looks like something some emo/punk tweeny-bopper would post on VampireFreaksDOTcom. I'm interested in a deck that's truly terrifying, preferably with demonic and/or satanic themes.

What can you recommend?

I've seen the Savage Tarot, but personally I think the art looks like bad photoshopping. (A lot like the few Gay Tarot decks that exist. That can't be the most macabre deck there is?

BEST ANSWERS SO FAR:

Vertigo Tarot
The Dark Grimoire Tarot

Emily

This is probably not what you meant but the New Orleans Voodoo Tarot disturbs me, makes me feel uneasy. I have no idea why because I dont spook easily and I am a natural skeptic. But I've had a couple of experiences with this deck which makes me think that maybe a deck with Voodoo in its title shouldn't really be a tarot deck. But I still can't bring myself to get rid of it.

danieljuk

I find the Deviant Moon Tarot really disturbing! It's often the #1 most popular deck of all time in the annual AT charts but it makes me psychologically uneasy but then I don't own it and never bought it. But seen the images!

There is a thread on AT of decks you regret buying and it features a lot but many people buy it, find it disturbing, put it in a drawer and then come back to it. Eventually they work through it and really love it!

So that might happen with me but not sure if I will ever buy it :)

Celtictarot

The Archangel Power Tarot is disturbing with the images of alive people being depicted as angels. Deviant Moon seems somewhat tame after that!

Cocobird55

The Deviant Moon and the Vertigo. I gave both of them away.

WolfyJames

The Bosch Tarot with cards with Bosch style. Can be quite disturbing. Also the gloomiest I've seen is the Guardian Tarot with fallen angels. Unfortunately both are out-of-print. I can add the Bohemian Gothic Tarot too. But personally I find the Victorian Romantic Tarot creepy and disturbing.

Metafizzypop

The Dark Grimoire scares the bejesus out of me.

Morwenna

I used to say the Deviant Moon, but after several views of the following I nominate this for the scariest: the Dark Carnival. Brrr! :bugeyed:

Reyan

I would really like to hear people's answers for this too. I often crave a truly creepy deck, the type that unsettles you and gives you shivers. Deviant Moon is great, but it just doesn't quite reach that level for me. At its heart I find it to be more playful than dark. Sort of Tim Burtonesque. The closest thing I have I think is Thoth, which has that nice esoteric vibe that can sometimes scratch the same itch :p Maybe the issue is that in order to be unsettling, it has to be just a bit incomprehensible. Once you get super familiar with a deck (cough Deviant Moon) it isn't unsettling anymore.

Spencer

The Wormweird is my favorite creeper. :heart: