Have you ever bought a misprint because of its particularity?

Gulliver

This is my question. Sometimes one can read that a misprint can be especially valuable. For me it's not easy to imagine that a misprint could be more valuable than the original version. Are there examples?

nisaba

Stamp collectors will pay several hundred times the normal value for a misprint.

I feel the same way about Tarot decks - I love misprints, as long as they are still useable. And having a card missing doesn't count!

Le Fanu

The nearest I got was that when Tarot of Sweet Twilight was first released, the early copies in stock had a misprinted box - spelt "Tarot of Sweet Twiligth" - and then the error was corrected but I rushed to order a copy from a UK suppliers and got one.

On a scale of curiousness of 1-10 it's probably one but it is a deck I dislike. I know that if my copy had the box with the correctly spelt version I'd have got rid of it a long time ago.

Does anyone else have one of these copies?

Gulliver

Thanks for answering!

What I think is that a misprint gives a special unique note to this deck. Such a little sign of being less perfect makes the deck more alive, more to a personal deck in my opinion. But more valuable? Ok, it's unique.
There have been some misprints of the tarot of the secret forest, such things are funny and if a deck is readable, I agree nisaba, it's not that problem or even something special.

It would be interesting, what for specific misprints are possible. Maybe, that some figures looking in the other direction (mirrored), or like you, Le Fanu, have described, that there are spelling mistakes. Or defects in colour, but such defects could have a quite negative effect on the beauty of the whole tarot.

tarotbear

Wasn't there a release of the Morgan Greer that had the 'Page of PODS' card? {pix from elsewhere - not a deck I own}

Oddly, Gulliver- misprints are usually valuable in some way - especially stamps and coins - because they are unique and if the error is corrected it makes that item rare and completely collectable. A misprinted matchbook cover is not going to be worth much ...

On my original deck release the person who added my name and copyright to the back of the box misspelled my name...probably makes that $24.95 deck worth $25.50 now ...

Attachments

• Pod Page.jpg
    Pod Page.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 202
  • pod closeup.jpg
    pod closeup.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 198

karen0205

I have a James Bond Tarot, which is the Witches Tarot with the Bond 007 on the back,
that is missing the card title for the Ace of Wands. Nothing that exciting but it is
a misprint. I didn't buy it knowing it was missing the title. I found it when I was going
through the deck.

Attachments

• Bond misprint.jpg
    Bond misprint.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 209

tarotbear

Shaken or Stirred?

LOL! I just went to check my two James Bond decks - the stand-alone deck has the title, and the one in the 'James Bond Tarot Game' is still sealed! Gonna stay that way!

BTW - do you have the BLUE 007 backs or the rare RED 007 backs? :D

Gulliver

Thanks for the examples, tarotbear and karen! It is cool, I like it!

tarotbear

On the website for 'The Skyclad Tarot' (discussed elsewhere) they have Major #4 as 'The Emporer' instead of the Emperor ... but the cards in print have been corrected ... that might have been a fun misprinted deck to have had for that reason only .....

karen0205

LOL! I just went to check my two James Bond decks - the stand-alone deck has the title, and the one in the 'James Bond Tarot Game' is still sealed! Gonna stay that way!

BTW - do you have the BLUE 007 backs or the rare RED 007 backs? :D
I think they are both blue.
Be careful, the new Bond Reprint has Red Backs.

Attachments

• Bond reprint.JPG
    Bond reprint.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 192