Half-size decks - a good idea?

Nycelle

I have ridiculously small hands and thus prefer small decks (I frequently lose hand size comparisons with children of eight or nine).

I also like the intimacy of small cards - they seem personal and private, for use rather than display.

Just my two cents. Where we can see this deck??

M-Press

I think if you want to do two sizes, then the question is "how big" and "how small".
The difference has to bebig, so that one sould be immediatelly for that or that.

can you make the large, a bit larger?
I like small, but not too small. A size that fits well in my bag, but doesn't feel like dealing with "stamps"....

Centaur

M-Press said:
I like small, but not too small. A size that fits well in my bag, but doesn't feel like dealing with "stamps"....

I agree. I think it is a case of making them not TOO big and not TOO small.

I think a conclusion we can draw from this thread is that size does indeed matter. Mwaha. :p

C

Le_Corsair

Large for art's sake, less large for convenience's sake. It depends on whether you feel the art is more important, or that ease of handling is more important. If you think that the art is more important, by all means make the deck as large as you like, but lots of people won't use it, and those decks will be just pretty miniature portfolios, looked at occasionally but rarely used.

If, on the other hand, you are making a deck for people to use, and the art is subordinate to that, then make a deck slightly smaller than the standard RWS. I have over thirty decks now, and I have to say that the one that feels best in my hand is the Ator Tarot by Aeclectic's own Rota. The dimensions on the Ator are 4.25" long by 3" wide. Absolutely perfect for me, and the cardstock is good, too. You'd have to ask Rota about the stock. You can get a good idea of this size card by cutting one out of an index card; you'll see how easily it fits into your hand.

Bob :THERM

Imagemaker

And this may be desecration, but I cut the borders off my New Palladini cards (very carefully with super-sharp scissors so the edges are smooth and straight, then I blunted the edges with light scraping). I like using them so much better! They shuffle beautifully and fit my hands perfectly.

For me tarot is, first, a tool, then an art portfolio. I can't work with unwieldy tools.

Astra

Nycelle said:
I have ridiculously small hands and thus prefer small decks (I frequently lose hand size comparisons with children of eight or nine).

I also like the intimacy of small cards - they seem personal and private, for use rather than display.

Just my two cents. Where we can see this deck??
Nycelle, just click on "Website" under my post. (I think anything else is considered advertising unless I'm pointing to a specific image.)

To clarify, if I haven't posted it in this thread earlier, full size is
2-3/4 x 4-1/4, and half size is, oddly enough, half of that, and what I would call a true mini-deck. I like uncluttered artwork (when it's my own, at least - I'm drooling over the Baroque cats), so I don't expect there will be much loss of image resolution at all.