hi all

fun2bwif

How can one go about creating their own deck i want something no one else has with my own meanings pictures but with the same symbolic figures you find in most cards im open to all sujestions thanks iris

blashamma

Hi, I'm creating my own deck, and I'm now in the middle of the whole process. It started when I had all kinds of idea floating around in my head. I went to the store and bought me some plain, white index cards, and started drawing. SOme of theI sketched out first, some of them I didn't. After I finish the cards, I'm going to purchase a laminator and laminate them- this will protect them and make them sturdier since index cards aren't too sturdy. And I always wanted a laminator anyways, so it'll be good. Oh, before that, I might purchase a stamp I like for the back and stamp the backs, or maybe a blank linoleum block and make my own stamp, I'm not sure yet. And my tip to add a real professional touch- round off the corners with a corner punch! You don't really need to laminate them, you could even glue two cards together! also, there are other protectors out there, but I suggest if you're going to go though all the trouble to make a set, then don't skimp on protectors.

darkling_raven

kinda like that

blashamma
========
wow .l.. corner punches ... and here I was thiking I had to cut them. Dont think i can find them here tho :p .... look like good ol' scissors for me :(

And I do tonnes of sketches anyways. I dont think I can work without them.
=^.^=

funtobwif
=======
*hehe* - thats what I'm doing with mine. I'm using my own symbolism and intepretation of the cards but still retaining some elemental basis of the original symbolism found in the RW set.

g'luck :)

Yinn
http://www.geocities.com/darkling_raven001/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/darkling_raven001/intest.html

fun2bwif

hi

interesting but very good idea Iris

blashamma

darkling_raven, I saw the scteches you posted a while back! They are absolutely amazing. It sort of made me wish I had went into a more relistic and detailed direction, but then I'd have lost my own unique style. Also, about the corner punches, they can be bought at craft stores (like Hobby Lobby and Michaels- just look in the scrapbook stuff), and office supply stores (like Office Depot), and I've found them before even in Walmart. Hope you find them, because with your amazing work, it'll be worth it. Also, the prices range anywhere from 4 to 12 dollars depending on size, brand, and if you want more than just rounded edges. Oh, and have you ever heard of the artsit Michael Turner? Your work sort of reminds me of his. Sorry about that. I know as an artist, that I hate it when I'm compared to someone, but I couldn't help it.

blashamma

Oh yea, and I meant the comic-book artist Michael Turner, not the race car artist Michael Turner- just in case you wanted to look it up.

Lady Eclipse

fun2bwif said:
How can one go about creating their own deck i want something no one else has with my own meanings pictures but with the same symbolic figures you find in most cards im open to all sujestions thanks iris

Hi Iris,

I've created two tarot decks and have a third that's halfway completed. I also just finished a divination deck and have five more tarot decks currently on the table. I can work this way indefinitely, but many people can't and there's nothing wrong with that. You have to work in a way that is best for YOU. This is not about comparing your work habits with that of others. It is about bringing the deck from your mind's eye into physical reality. Each deck is like this, whether you work on one at a time or ten.

My suggestion is to draw your own using whatever medium you're best at, whether it be crayon, pencil, colored pencil, ink, charcoal, paint, using your computer, etc. You can also use your own photographs or combine the two like I'm doing for one of my in progress decks.

Everything really depends on what your skills are, how you see the way your deck looks in your mind's eye, and how much effort you're willing to expend to create it. A simple type of deck could take a couple of weeks to create while something more complex could take anywhere from months to years to complete. I know there are people here who've been working on their creations for many years. My first tarot deck, the Lady Eclipse, took me about seven years to finish, even though it's a Majors only deck. I also didn't work on it full time either.

Something I've noticed is, once you complete one deck, should you decide to create another, it does get a lot easier (in my opinion anyway).

Joy to you,
Maralee

fun2bwif

hi

thanks for the info i will definetely do that i need to get use to it and most of all i have great ideas for pictures but im not a good artist but ill domy best Iris

Lady Eclipse

Re: hi

fun2bwif said:
thanks for the info i will definetely do that i need to get use to it and most of all i have great ideas for pictures but im not a good artist but ill domy best Iris

Hi Iris,

Practicing A LOT will help most anyone to be a better artist. You could also collaborate on a deck with someone who has better artistic skills. One of the decks I have on the table is a collaboration with a friend who reads professionally. She swears she can't draw flies nor use Adobe so she asked me to help bring the deck of her dreams into reality. She tells me how she envisions each card and I do my best to make it look just like she sees it in her mind's eye or better. So far, it's been working out extremely well but we only have about ten cards completed. She is writing the card meanings and we'll work together on the book when the time comes.

If I can be of any assistance to you or if you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll answer to the best of my ability. :) I'm sure many others here will too. I'm not here every day so it could take a few days for me to respond. I've found that I don't get much work done when I'm hanging out at AT.

Joy to you,
Maralee

fun2bwif

hi

i will definetely try and do so your ideas are very helpful thanks
iris