When the DIFU is strong...

Aoife

Umbrae said:
Then please reflect more.

DIFU is not an alien. it is not external. It is not parasitical. It's not possession.

DIFU is a part of us.

<snip>

So why do we treat it as a separate entity?

Because it allows us to pinpoint the ‘symptoms’ and the methodology of escaping its clutches.

<snip>

Although DIFU is NOT an outside ‘influence’, it is treated that way in order to gain power over it.

“Oh it’s simply a part of you” gives its voice authority.

And THAT is part of the problem.

Yes, indeed... although I still struggle with the idea of power in this context. I think one of the risks of demonising an aspect of ourselves is that we can lose sight of its inherent value in the balancing act that is our passage through life. I accept that the DIFU can become so debilitating to be life-limiting, but that degree of dysfunction may need some kind of professional intervention. But for most of us its more akin to a dodgy leg... debilitating for sure, but it forces us to explore other strategies for coping and progressing. Sometimes it aches more than others, giving clues to those circumstances or behaviours that cause us discomfort. It challenges us to take responsibility, to prioritise and establish 'what really matters'.

But I think the issue of DIFU is different, or compounded, when the purpose of our 'doing' is primarily intended to be for the benefit of others - such a reading tarot. I'm out of time now, but will try to return to this.

Alissa

The terms and metaphors I use to decribe this metaphysical phenomenon may not resonate with another. My experience deviate significantly from where the thread has gone to, but I don't want to justify the choices of words I've made to describe this experience.

I really don't care if 99% of the people I talk to about this stuff understands me -- I share what I went through on the chance 1% who will understand and relate to it. If you read this thread this far and you don't understand, you just don't "get it"... well, consider yourself blessed. :)

Baroli

Alissa said:
The terms and metaphors I use to decribe this metaphysical phenomenon may not resonate with another.

And if you read this thread this far and you don't understand, you just don't "get it"... well, consider yourself blessed. :)

Makes perfect sense to me, Sweetpea.:) Ya done good.

Aoife

Alissa, I've caused offence through my thoughtless words. I'm in awe of your remarkable achievement and regret that I side-stepped it to explore the more mundane self-doubt that afflicts most. I sincerely apologise.

Alissa

Aoife, you did not owe me any apology and you are very gracious and kind to offer one regardless.

It is an uncomfortable subject, and despite being healed and having left my behaviors behind me (if alcoholics count their clean time, then I can count my time from abstaining from ED behaviors) it is a very difficult and painful subject.

I am glad Sheri started this thread so we could share a dialogue with others. Hopefully it has been a benefit to others here as well.

Alta

DIFU comes to us in many forms, and it is rare person indeed who never suffers from it in some aspect. I am of Alissa's viewpoint, and it seems to me that to 'rationalize' psychological effects is harmful to those who experience them otherwise, because it makes them feel that their understanding is wrong. It is the game of labels, and firemaiden's initial humorous 'label' is the best one because it allows us all versions of these debilitating impacts.

Really, where these voices or urges or feelings come from is unknown and unknowable (I suspect) so if some of us experience them as 'other' and some rationalize them as a part of our own selves, well, whatever path we take makes it real and helps us deal with it by making it less out of control. As best we ever can. I agree with Alissa that DIFU is never conquered, but rather held at bay with various tricks, realizations, determination and etc.

With tarot reading, it is to me like stepping out onto that tightrope every time. No matter how often I do it, I always feel vulnerable, uncertain and liable to be judged. But, I still step out there.

Alta

tmgrl2

Alissa said:
Aoife, you did not owe me any apology and you are very gracious and kind to offer one regardless.

It is an uncomfortable subject, and despite being healed and having left my behaviors behind me (if alcoholics count their clean time, then I can count my time from abstaining from ED behaviors) it is a very difficult and painful subject.

I am glad Sheri started this thread so we could share a dialogue with others. Hopefully it has been a benefit to others here as well.

....I think it's ok to have some humor, but, I do agree that people do have serious issues at times with fears ...period.

Alissa...your posts are always welcomed!!

No need to apologize...some of us read everything, but only comment on a few things read that trigger responses.

I have 19 years coming up alcohol free. I still have demons terrorizing me about health issues, as I said before. They are out of proportion to the situation, but they are real and I battle them. I go forward, though, and I act on what I must do...it's just that I don't experience them with Tarot reading for others and for that I am grateful. Actually, reading for others, enlivens my spirit, removes me from self, fills up the cup that is always half full when I am outward focused on others rather than on self.

So, DIFU, again...Yes...for some things.

terri