How Do You Pick Which Deck For Which Reading?

Juliana

So presumably most of us here have more than one deck in our collection. If you read with more than one deck, how do you decide which to use for a reading? Do you have certain decks you like to use for certain types of inquiries? Do you just alternate decks randomly? Just go with what feels right at the time? Do tell!

gregory

Whatever I feel like - or I let the sitter choose.

Barleywine

After reading with one deck for four decades (although I did own a few others) and not feeling deprived, I recently developed a taste for more (and still more) decks . . . thank you, AT :)! I'm cycling through all of my decks for daily draws, but when I read in more detail I've been turning to the Radiant RWS because of its luminous and arresting colors (OK, so I still read it like it's the Thoth. Hard habit to break.) I plan to start offering querents an option now that I have more choices to give them.

Eeviee

Well, I actually use Revelations for my daily draw, Lo Scarabeo for random questions, and Liber T for my deeper enquiries...

My random questions deck usually changes. And sometimes my daily draw, depending on what deck I'm studying atm.

So, really, for me; it's all about what deck I have on me, and which I feel like working with!

SixDegrees

I choose mine with the seasons. Right now, for summer, I'm reading with the Victorian Romantic, the Prairie, and the Morgan Greer. When Fall hits I'll switch to the Druidcraft, the Infinite Visions, and the Dark Fairytale. Winter will be the Aquarian and whatever else I've acquired by then (hopefully the Tarot of the Absurd!).

As for which deck for which question, I let the imagery guide me (Victorian Romantic for love questions, etc.).

janie144

I just go for whatever I feel like at that moment, sometimes I feel more strongly drawn to one rather than another but I think that just reflects my mood at the time.

Glass Owl

I tend to do all of the above. For me, I'm finding that it is good for me to go with the flow and not stick to a set pattern.

I sometimes find myself selecting decks based upon a particular time of year. Other times I grab decks that match (at least in my mind) the spread or topic at hand.

Sometimes I lead towards using decks that mirror my mood. On the other hand, for the past month or two I've been feeling very moody and dark so I've been finding myself reaching more for decks that I see as lighter or decrease my anxiety levels.

Chronata

I often have three or four decks with me(Hanson Roberts, Minute, All hallows and an oracle)
And I read with what seems right for the person.

Sometimes I feel just like reading everybody with t he same deck, and sometimes I will start out thinking I'm using one, and then switch to a different one after talking with a client.

And I have been wrong before as well...halfway through trying to interpret, i'll get a huge headache and switch decks which will turn out much better.

So I guess the answer is intuitively, I just pick what feels right.

Padma

Much like the others, and very like Chronata. I allow the deck to choose me, and not vice versa - because I let my intuition guide me. So I just go to whichever deck suggests itself strongly to me at the time of reading :)

Thoughtful

l use one tarot for all needs as it's one that l work with really well, l also like to have a selection of oracle cards and select by intuiton which would serve the best, i.e. animal or angel.