How Do You Pick Which Deck For Which Reading?

SunChariot

So presumably most of us here have more than one deck in our collection. If you read with more than one deck, how do you decide which to use for a reading? Do you have certain decks you like to use for certain types of inquiries? Do you just alternate decks randomly? Just go with what feels right at the time? Do tell!

Pure intuition. I have a list of all my decks, divided into 3 categories: Tarots, Oracles and Angel Decks. First I decide in my mind which type of deck I intend to use. Then I read over the names fo the decks in that list and when I get to the right one I just feel it inside and I know it is the right one for that reading.

Babs

direwolf336

For a average reading for friends or family, I usually have 4 that I always choose from. On special occasions like a Halloween part, I'll take The Halloween Tarot and A gothic one of sorts to match the occasion. I think the best thing is to see which decks speak to you and stick with them

AJ

I use whatever my choice for deck of the week is. If I always picked my favorite decks for readings, either for others or myself, I'd think of it as taking the easy way out. I always want to know what This week's deck will show and teach me.

Juliana

Loving all the answers! I am particularly drawn to the idea of changing decks by the season, like SixDegrees mentioned. Might have to try that myself. And the pulling a card out of several decks to let the sitter decide, as MermaidFeet mentioned... I'm loving that idea too. Thank you all so much. I love hearing how everyone does things!

VGimlet

I also have to add, I do have clients that request certain decks.

I got a dragon deck (actually a couple of dragon decks) for my sister, but she always requests my Aquarian. I have another friend who always wants the Motherpeace (not my fave deck, but SHE loves it).

BeyondtheVeil

How I choose which deck to use for readings...

So presumably most of us here have more than one deck in our collection. If you read with more than one deck, how do you decide which to use for a reading? Do you have certain decks you like to use for certain types of inquiries? Do you just alternate decks randomly? Just go with what feels right at the time? Do tell!

I just choose whichever deck that I feel like using. Sometimes there is a certain deck I have in mind, but usually it is just whatever pops out to me at the time.

When doing Reading Exchanges on the boards, I usually use a new deck to get some practice with. OR sometimes just do some Angel Readings with whatever card pops up. Those type of threads I choose the deck before hand. Unlike others, I don't let the sitter choose. It could be because I am still more new to this than others, but I have to be in a mood to do readings. For me, part of the fun is choosing my own deck for readings.

HTHs,
BeyondtheVeil

Grizabella

I always choose the deck myself. I'm the one who will do the reading so it's only smart that I do the choosing. I usually choose on the basis of what deck I'm feeling the most fluent with at that particular time.

Even if I'm reading for someone who is also a reader, I still do the choosing. What I see in the cards isn't necessarily going to be what they see. Each reader is different in the way their cards speak to them. If that weren't so, then why would one reader even ask another reader to read for them instead of doing it themselves?

tarotcognito

I don't pick the deck. The deck picks me.

WyrdRaven

I learn all their voices and get to know their personalities. A number of them specialize in certain topics. Old Path is good for brass tacks everyday issues, but not for dreamwork. Thoth is great for dreamwork and psychological matters, but goes too deeply for mundane daily matters. Osho Zen is a great spiritual advisor, but sometimes stern. When I want a gentler voice, I go to Songs for the Journey Home-- all is nurturing there! For all-around readings with a versatile voice, there is always RWS. They are all so different.

EricthoDeSalamander

I just go with whatever I feel drawn to pull out. Or I'll just grab whatever happens to be close by.