My mom touched my cards

Honeysun

The magic of a reading lies in YOU and not in the cards. And you have probably been hugged by your mom, right ? ;) I wouldn't worry at all.

Right :) Tarot actually helped me to choose between many life changing decisions, maybe that's because I worry too much about other people touching my deck.

Aradia25

I am sure the Tarot God is very unpleased with us all. :D

:laugh: :laugh:

On topic - I actually get annoyed when people in my family touch my cards. But I don't cleanse them. I just shuffle a lot.

ctrymaus

I have never cleansed a deck in my life, though some here do like to. Loads of people have touched most of my decks (I would say all, but I have no idea - I don't supervise people looking at my collection; I just search them before they leave the house }) !) The most I have done was put a very smelly (and brand new !) deck in a box with lavender scented candles, to get rid of the smell. Nothing to do with vibes or energy - the actual stink just made me nauseous.

Your mother having touched your deck won't have affected it in the very least, IMHO. Don't worry about it, and no, there's no reason to redo your readings.

I have to ask, because I have a lot of allergies: which deck was it that smelled so awful out of the box? I need to avoid buying it!

On topic: I do cleanse the cards out of the wrapping, but it's more a blessing, to ask good energies into the deck. Later, if it feels like the deck is not "working" right, I'll repeat that.

CountryMouse

gregory

I have to ask, because I have a lot of allergies: which deck was it that smelled so awful out of the box? I need to avoid buying it!
The Lunatic - the card version, rather than the portfolio. It was truly GHASTLY. :eek:

imarya

honeysun,

I'm new, and I agree with everyone else here--do what feels right to you.

Having said that: one of the things which drew me to the Tarot was being "spiritually sensitive". There are people in my life who, if they knew I had them, wouldn't be allowed to touch my cards. They are also not permitted to handle my Bible, rosary, votives, etc.

Those same people also don't touch me if I can help it.

Truly, would they physically harm my possessions? I don't know--it *is* a possibility.

It's not about physical property; it's about me not wanting a spiritual connection with them.
For that reason, letting other people touch my cards was a big deal for me, too.

If you and your mom are close enough that you read for her, then don't worry about it. She's your mom. :)

Is this (who touches your cards) an area of concern for you because you read about it, or because that's what feels right for you?

If it's something that feels right for you, you might also consider these points:
-Do you do anything to prepare yourself for a reading?
-Do you do anything to formally end a reading?
-Do you store your cards in a particular place, or in a special container?

Those things might help you feel more at ease with regard to allowing others to handle your cards.

If I read for someone else, I say a prayer. I want to do a good job for that person, but I want to protect myself. I shuffle before and after the reading, and my cards "live" beneath my bed. That's what's right for me.

Remember, too: If you ever get a weird feeling about someone, or what that person seeks, you don't have to read for that person.

Morwenna

I like what imarya says about watching out for particular people.

But the only "cleansing" I've ever done is a good shuffling between readings. I've also lent a few decks out to others at workshops, and my only procedure after that was to count the cards to make sure nothing was lost. (No, I was never the teacher, just an attendee.)

And I agree with so many people here that preparing oneself properly for each reading is far more important than doing anything particular to the deck (except shuffling, that is).

I do have several decks that have never been handled by anyone but me, but that's only because I've never brought them out of the house for whatever reason, and I didn't even get a chance to share them with my husband--not that I wouldn't, but there are only so many hours in a day and a lot of things on our calendars, and I only have shown him items that I think might catch his interest; divination is rather far down on his list, though he's quite capable at stone-casting.

ana luisa

honeysun,

I'm new, and I agree with everyone else here--do what feels right to you.

Having said that: one of the things which drew me to the Tarot was being "spiritually sensitive". There are people in my life who, if they knew I had them, wouldn't be allowed to touch my cards. They are also not permitted to handle my Bible, rosary, votives, etc.

Those same people also don't touch me if I can help it.

Truly, would they physically harm my possessions? I don't know--it *is* a possibility.

It's not about physical property; it's about me not wanting a spiritual connection with them.
For that reason, letting other people touch my cards was a big deal for me, too.

If you and your mom are close enough that you read for her, then don't worry about it. She's your mom. :)

Is this (who touches your cards) an area of concern for you because you read about it, or because that's what feels right for you?

If it's something that feels right for you, you might also consider these points:
-Do you do anything to prepare yourself for a reading?
-Do you do anything to formally end a reading?
-Do you store your cards in a particular place, or in a special container?

Those things might help you feel more at ease with regard to allowing others to handle your cards.

If I read for someone else, I say a prayer. I want to do a good job for that person, but I want to protect myself. I shuffle before and after the reading, and my cards "live" beneath my bed. That's what's right for me.

Remember, too: If you ever get a weird feeling about someone, or what that person seeks, you don't have to read for that person.

I agree with you 100%. However, being also spiritually sensitive, we can absorb negative energies from the people themselves... I've read for some sitters who literally got me sick for 2 days. Grounding and spiritual protection of you is fundamental. After all, your aura and the sitter's will touch for a while during a reading, won't it ?

nisaba

I've read for some sitters who literally got me sick for 2 days. Grounding and spiritual protection of you is fundamental. After all, your aura and the sitter's will touch for a while during a reading, won't it ?

So will the auras of people you sit next to in a train or bus. Or line up with in a checkout line.

HudsonGray

Shuffling is enough to settle the energies, I've never cleansed a deck either, just shuffled it.

I think the stigma of 'never let someone touch them' is often based on other people bending the cards when they handle them, or getting grease/food on the cards. If it's only you handling them you KNOW what you're putting on the surface. Once others start playing around with them you can get a deck back in worse condition than what you started with.

I have the same issue with people wanting to shuffle the 'Vegas' way that bends the cards in half. They're not made to be handled like that.

skipbosco

Basically I judiciously let people touch my deck...but it really, mostly, has to do with whether or not their hands are clean. I'm always surprised at how more often than not people ask me if it's okay to touch them. Pretty much it amounts to the same thing as letting people hold my musical instruments, it's a judgement call....but not really anything to do with bad energy getting on the deck or whatever.

I shuffle 'dem cards and just SAY that they're "clean"...focus my intention, and don't worry about superstitious magical thinking bullshit.