What do you do before using a second hand deck?

Essence of Winter

I was wondering what everyone does with a second hand deck before they begin to use it? I always put all of the cards in order and then go through the shuffling routine I use with a brand new deck so that I am starting with it afresh. It gives me the opportunity to look at and handle every card so that I can connect with the deck better and know that the order of the cards when I use it comes from my shuffling alone and doesn't have any artefacts from the order the cards were left in by the previous owner.

I don't do any re-energising or form of cleansing ritual as I have no specific beliefs along those lines. Handling the cards is enough for me.

ana luisa

I am very particular about smells. So, if the stock stands it, I clean each card with a wipe cloth and air them out. And, since I believe in previous energies, if I feel the deck is heavy, I pass each card over a flame. No smudging allowed where I live (the smell again...).

tarotbear

I always go through and count the cards to make sure they are all there! :bugeyed:

Tanga

I was wondering what everyone does with a second hand deck before they begin to use it? I always put all of the cards in order and then go through the shuffling routine I use with a brand new deck so that I am starting with it afresh.
...I don't do any re-energising or form of cleansing ritual as I have no specific beliefs along those lines. Handling the cards is enough for me.

Nothing generally. As I use them, shuffle them, lay them out, get more familiar with them etc. - they become "mine". (I'll only start using them as a reading deck for someone else, when I feel intuitively that they have become fully "mine").
Unless they are grimy - in which case I might wipe them down with a damp or alcohol cloth - depending on what I can get away with in terms of cleaning.
Occasionally I might charge them on my Earth Altar by moonlight.

I presently have two second hand Thoth decks and a large size RWS that I found really cheap at the market up-the-hill. Both Thoths are sticky and grimy - so in-need of a cleaning routine... when I have an afternoon to sit down and do the cards one-by-one.

What is the format of your 'brand new deck shuffle"?

AJ

order to check all cards are present, then shuffle

celticnoodle

I always go through and count the cards to make sure they are all there! :bugeyed:

:laugh:

Yes, I do the above, like TB. Generally, I don't do anything else, except as you mentioned, Essence of Winter, to go through and put the cards in order. But, I do this routinely anyway. I do it with all the playing cards too--even the ones I don't 'read' with. Its always been a habit of mine, since I was a kid.

If they came with an odor, I would do my best to air them somehow, because I cannot stand the smell of cigarettes or any kind of smoke. Even some perfumes get to me due to my allergies. If the card stock could stand it, I'd probably wipe them very carefully with a bit of a mix of water and distilled white vinegar.

Distilled white vinegar can get rid of any smell! But, dilute it of course first in water. When we were renting homes to live in, one place had tenants before us that were chain smokers for the 20 years they lived there. *disgust* Took me a week I think to wash ALL the walls and get rid of the smoky smell. I did though--much to my landlords delight.

Apollonia

I grab my pendulum and ask if it needs to be cleared. If the answer is yes, I energetically clear it before use.

kell

I believe 99.9% of clearing a deck comes from intention. I feel handling the deck and asking any energies present to be transmuted is enough.
Cards that are physically dirty, with grime or smells, ewww. Had a really smoky deck once, and several recommended baking soda. It worked...some. Airing it didn't help much. Ended up selling it b/c I couldn't bear the cigarette smell.

gregory

Open it, check the cards, and if it smells, shut in in the box with my now famous deodorising lavender candles. That's it.