To review or not to review . . .

nord_drache

Here's a question to our community . . . If we get a deck that may have not been well known, seems unusual or even new, should we take the time to give a review - even checking if there is an existing thread and reply to it.

I think the answer is yes.

My reasoning is that . . .
First it helps people make a sound decision when spending possibly limited funds on new decks.
Secondly through exposure people might discover new tools that may be even more effective for them.

There is a chance it might also help small publishers to continue to grow. Good reviews means that might not be ignored because they aren't the main stream larger publishers.

Your answer and opinions why are as always appreciated.
Jim

VGimlet

I would say yes too. Good or bad, people sometimes like to know what other people think about a deck, even if they go on to buy it anyway.

AntonK1111

Yes absolutely. I always read reviews before buying a tarot deck as I like to know what other people think of the deck I'm looking at.

AkiraOkihu

I'd say it's always a good idea to post a review. A better general idea about a deck is created after each review. People have their own review style, maybe they are interested in the symbols, maybe the colours have a certain meaning for them. The best way to make an informed decision about a deck is to read reviews from different people to get a general idea about the deck.

Le Fanu

I'd argue both sides - a review is always nice and I appreciate the trouble that people go to.

But to be honest, rather than watching someone unbox for 15 minutes on you tube (and do things I never do with a new deck - i.e. waffle for 5 minutes, go first to the book for a flick through - I mean who doesthat ??), I'd rather check out the hastags on Instagram.

If I see a selection of images from a deck it's often enough for me. I do like a good, detailed review though, but most YouTube videos take ages to cut to the chase and I can't be bothered. Plus so many of them set the camera rolling before they think what they're going to say, so you have to wade through all those "ermmm. er... yeah... it's really cool.... oh my god... yeah..."

Not my prefered medium for succinct reviews.

gregory

I NEVER watch unboxing videos - BORING. Or indeed, video reviews. You can't see the cards properly - I like them to sit there on my screen while I look at them. I read Leffy's blog; I go to artist websites; I occasionally read reviews here - but I don't DO reviews - I do post in threads though.

nisaba

I adore writing reviews, and I find it deepens my relationship with decks, even the decks I've reviewed that I will never enjoy.

If I think a deck is brilliant, I have to work out why that is, and if it is a universal brilliance or only my own personal taste. I also have to find the flaws in the deck, no matter how wonderful, what about it is weaker, what doesn't work?

If I don't like a deck, again I have to work out if that is based on artistic taste (which after all is unique to me), or on some more important facet of the deck that might affect many others. And no matter how much I dislike it, I have to find its good points: its better cards, perhaps, or something that it does well.

Being dispassionate about decks that you are passionate about (positively or negatively), and remaining dispassionate for the several hours of continuous exposure necessary to write a review, is a real learning exercise. It doesn't often completely change my view of a deck, but it makes it easier to identify relatively shallow decks that I might find personally appealing because of the artwork, or really deep, effective decks where I might not like the artwork so much.

Writing reviews of decks is an education to the reviewer. And if they are a true reviewer rather than just the deck's cheer squad or enemy, then others can read the review and whether or not the reviewer likes it, they can work out whether they might like it or not independently of the reviewer's opinion. And after all, if reviewers uncritically praised everything about a deck, they'd be writing copy for the publisher, not writing reviews. There is a difference.

Write the review(s) you have in mind, ND. Why the hell not? And scan the cards you talk about most, and send it to Solandia. Get your name up in lights!

ana luisa

If you feel like writing a review, by all means DO IT !!!! It will certainly be of use to many readers who need some info/background on a specific deck. As for myself, I don't read reviews, though. For the simple reason that what I REALLY need is to see all the cards and feel whether that group of images will work for me or not. And to get an idea of the stock quality. That's all. I'm with Le Fanu for the youtube videos. The images are usually fuzzy and many do not show all of them. Most of all, many decks that have literally been BASHED and seriously criticized have been in my list of favorites :D

nord_drache

Nice to see replies coming and the responses being positive.
I see mention of unboxing videos which leave me going . . . huh?!?!
Its not something I would do or I even think to view. In my opinion I don't see video images being better than released images as I would think deck publishers are consistent with their quality of artwork and for me a sample or even an honest review is enough to decide if I am financially able.

I guess this is another aspect of reviews - perceived value. Is this overpriced? Price doesn't mirror product quality etc.

Jim

FaintlyMacabre

It was a little unclear as to what kind of reviews. I will read reviews although so often they are so overwhelmingly positive with new decks that I start to wonder if they got them free. Of course, there is often that initial excitement over a new deck that does wear off in a couple of years.

As to YouTube. Done well, it has helped me by showing all the cards whereas so many other venues will skip over certain ones which tend to be the problematic ones for some reason. Funny about that.

OTOH, spending 10 minutes looking at the same Llewellyn box we've all seen how many times? Not having the cards in order. Or giggling. I told my husband if it had been a drinking game, I'd have been under the table in 10 minutes the other day. Sometimes it is like "Did you not know you were going to make a video before you turned it on?" I would suggest planning it for about 10 mins. However, the better ones have their place although it seems to be hard to find the better ones.

Diana