Tarot Tattoos

brujablanca

WOW such an interesting deck!!! That was the first time I had seen it.

Hmmmmm gonna have to really consider this one.

Thanks!!!!!!

rogue

I think if I was going to get a tarot tattoo, I would stick with the classic decks to choose my cards from. The Marseilles, GD, Rider-Waite, and Thoth would probably be the only ones I would even look at, because you know those decks are tried and true.

tmgrl2

I wanted a Tarot tattoo when I got mine a couple of years ago.

Finally, since the Eagle is figures so largely in Tarot as a symbol, I found a picture of an eagle's head (the one in my avatar, although the actual head I had tattoed on my ankle is a couple of inches high)....and that is what I had the artist render and tattoo.

I love it!!

The eagle reminds me of so much. Our ability to rise way above the petty small things of day to day life...freedom of spirit...power, speed, ability to observe, soul connection, .

As the eagle soars overhead, it is able to see past, present and future, observing time from above.

Cousel, wisdom, prophecy....

I just couldn't find a "card" that would allow me detail in the size of tattoo I wanted.

I chose the head only, since it looks regal...and, unless, you make it very large, a flying eagle can look...like...

well..it looks like a chicken.

That's a whole other story!

terri

blackairplane

Casting my vote for NO tattoos

Here's why:
I used to work in a funeral home. If you had any idea how much fun we made of tattoos on people it would put you off them for life. And that was back when the tattoos were mostly guys who had been soldiers and had girlies and stuff on their arms. Picture being an old lady or man with the tattoo you are considering residing in wrinkled, spotted old flesh.... it will be hilariously ironic.. and definitely NOT a pretty sight. Take it from one who has seen plenty. That "Born to Ride" emblem looks pathetic when what you are riding in is a hearse.

miss_nikki

blackairplane said:
Here's why:
I used to work in a funeral home. If you had any idea how much fun we made of tattoos on people it would put you off them for life. And that was back when the tattoos were mostly guys who had been soldiers and had girlies and stuff on their arms. Picture being an old lady or man with the tattoo you are considering residing in wrinkled, spotted old flesh.... it will be hilariously ironic.. and definitely NOT a pretty sight. Take it from one who has seen plenty. That "Born to Ride" emblem looks pathetic when what you are riding in is a hearse.

I figure when my tattoos are old and wrinkly, the rest of me is going to be old and wrinkly too...so it would be vain at that point to pretend like it even makes a difference.

I plan to be that scary old granny who pinches butts and swings her cane around. I also plan, at the most improptu moments, to show off my wrinkly old tattoos and make up seedy stories describing how I got them that will make my grandchildren say, 'Wow, grandma must've been a rip!'.

Besides, I don't care if an undertaker makes fun of my corpse. I don't care if people make fun of them while I'm alive so it matter much less when I'm dead.

brujablanca

People who work in the funeral home business and make fun of the departed?? Thats a whole 'nother thread right there.

As for what people may think of my tattoos when I am but a shell?? "Wow, she LIVED."

Tattoos, Tarot or otherwise, are not for everyone. Those of us who see them as an expression, we understand. No other explaination is necessary.

Hemera

brujablanca said:
People who work in the funeral home business and make fun of the departed?? Thats a whole 'nother thread right there.

As for what people may think of my tattoos when I am but a shell?? "Wow, she LIVED."

Tattoos, Tarot or otherwise, are not for everyone. Those of us who see them as an expression, we understand. No other explaination is necessary.

amen to that! and also to what miss_nikki said.

I have 5 tattoos. When I die, I want to look like I have *used* my body well. I do not need to save it for anything at all, right? So it is okay if it looks worn. Tattoos and all.
At the moment I am 49 and look my age.I´m proud of my age and wisdom & experiences.

My problem with tarot tattoos is the choosing. I can´t (probably? ;) have them all, but I do love them so much so it would be hard to choose. Maybe I´d have a picture with all the four tools: chalice,pentacle,sword and wand?

Astraea Aurora

lampkin said:
With piercings, you probably want to stay out of the sauna too.

Hi lampkin,

can't agree with that. I have four piercings and four ear piercings too and they all stay in when I'm going to the sauna. I don't feel any metal heating up because the skin around the piercings is heating up too.

Getting piercings is definitely addictive. I'm already thinking about getting the fifth one and a tattoo, but not tarot related.

Astraea Aurora

room

http://flatrock.org.nz/topics/odds_and_oddities/new_zealand_international_tattoo.htm

Go down the page until you get the article "Exposing Shallowness" by Theodore Dalrymple which is a copy of a book review he wrote for The New Criterion. The book was about the cultural history of the tattoo.

Having just read Dalrymple's book "Our Culture, What's Left of It" I agree with this general summation of Dalrymple's essays by Curtis Bowman: "At some point, however, Dalrymple's certitude and dogmatism need to be replaced by analysis and argument. The bromides of the conservative moralist do not suffice."

Well hey, there's a lot of that going around. Officious pontification is what it is.

However, I did enjoy this essay he wrote on tattoos. I like to occasionally watch the TV show "Miami Ink" because of the interesting artwork, and I knew someone from the UK who had self-inked tattoos on his hands that were crude and badly done. I also knew a woman whose son was a tattoo artist in California, and he was a fabulous artist and did excellent work.

I tend to agree with Dalrymple's assessment though that the promise of individuality or personal growth and empowerment related to tattoos is sad. It's more of an act, a facade of what a person would like to be perceived as, rather than who they are. Like a mask.

People are more interesting as themselves, in their own skin.

Hemera

room said:
It's more of an act, a facade of what a person would like to be perceived as, rather than who they are. Like a mask.
How could this be since most of my tattoos are very personal (power animals etc) that are not even meant to be seen by anyone! (If someone sees them, it´s ok, but I don´t generally show them to people. Two are in my upper arms but I never wear sleeveless tops in public.Never.)

They have nothing to do with being a mask. It´s more like "This is *my* body and *my*skin and I have marked it with meaningful pictures and symbols for myself".'
It is very empowering and very much who I *really* am.

But Brujablanca said it already a few messages back:Tarot are not for everyone. Those of us who see them as an expression, we understand. No other explaination is necessary.