The need of more advanced deck?

astrofeather

I personally dislike the idea that there's a difference between complex and beginner decks. Some may generally be easier to get a beginning foothold on (like the RWS deck), but that'll vary from person to person. Step 1 of picking out a tarot deck is to find one with artwork that you can feel a connection with, and if you have that connection, then you'll be able to connect with them eventually.

My first deck was Kris Waldherr's Goddess Tarot (one of the US Games decks). When I ordered my second deck, Wild Unknown, I went into the same shop to try and pick up some tarot books because I was concerned that the "more abstract" deck would be more challenging to read. The owner of the shop was pretty terrible about it, and said that since it was so abstract (she called it a novelty deck in a very disdainful way) it wasn't a "real deck." So, I really disagree with "tarot classism" basically.

I think, if anything, it's taken me longer to connect with my Wild Unknown deck because I have/had internalized a lot of "this deck is going to be so daunting, it's so abstract, it'll be impossible to read!" thoughts. When I feel that mental block start to crumble - aka, when I realize I don't have to think like that - my readings with that deck are so much better.

closerwalking

What I do like in decks is originality. I like a deck that makes me think and see the world in new ways. I have a number of different decks. I don't want tons of clones of each other. I want each to let me see things in different ways. Like when you need advice and ask different friends, knowing each will see the situation somewhat differently.

I like decks that are original, with reworked Majors and the works. The more original the better for me. :grin:

Babs[/QUOTE]
me, too. I find getting non traditional decks has forced me to discover the language of the cards from the cards themselves and the muses behind them, rather than relying on a study book. which I am thankful for now. Initially harder but now much more fulfilling, for me. Everyone is unique.