Lo Scarabeo Encyclopaedia on Kickstarter

gregory

Aw bummer! Why do they have to do this during the winter when I'm at my poorest?!
Look at the lowest prices still up there.... $21 with free shipping as you're in the US...
I'm sure you'll still be able to back it later - but it will cost more by then.

nicky

Why in the world would a PUBLISHING company use a kickstarter to PUBLISH BOOKS?

gregory

Read the page. It's too expensive to manage as a project, these days. As they say - too big, too ambitious. If they don't get the funding - I imagine it will fall over. I hope it doesn't. Also I think they want to sort of involve people.

And heck - for the price you'd pay as a backer - it will end up a lot cheaper than it would if they tried to just go it alone.

There are quite a few projects like this now. You don't have to back it if you don't want to.

Lareia

I'd be surprised if it failed, seeing how they have a month left and only 1300 to go.

Does anyone have an estimate of how much something like this will go in regular retail?

starlightexp

Taking a look through it and it does look like it is going to cover a lot of topics. I think for new people this book looks like a very well thought out collection of different ways to look at things. I wish they would have given an outline as to what the whole of the three volumes was planed to be like. It would have been interesting to see where they were going with it all.

nicky

Read the page. It's too expensive to manage as a project, these days.

Wow - and here I thought paper grew on trees...next my dry cleaners will ask me to pitch in for chemicals LOL

gregory

Taking a look through it and it does look like it is going to cover a lot of topics. I think for new people this book looks like a very well thought out collection of different ways to look at things. I wish they would have given an outline as to what the whole of the three volumes was planed to be like. It would have been interesting to see where they were going with it all.
Ask - there are FAQs. Actually - as I have met several of the staff there, I will ASK one of them about the other volumes, Edmund. It looks as though they make make at least some of their stretch goals. That'll be nice.

Nicky - I do get that for you Lo Scarabeo seems to be the devil incarnate. I do GET that. But I happen to think this is a damn fine project. As I say - don't back it if you have your own paper - that's fine by me. But some of us are actually interested.

And no I don't think the sun shines out of their other ends; they have brought out some decks I don't like a bit. But they do a lot of good stuff, and I support this big time. I think they are the most adventurous tarot publisher out there just now.

Deanne

This looks great!

I backed it, but am disappointed that the package I wanted is gone :(
I would have loved the Super Standard (or the Collector's Special). I ended up doing the Early Singing Bird, which I'm happy with, but those other packages would have been awesome.

nicky

Nicky - I do get that for you Lo Scarabeo seems to be the devil incarnate. I do GET that. But I happen to think this is a damn fine project. As I say - don't back it if you have your own paper - that's fine by me. But some of us are actually interested.

My comment about the kickstart is sincere - it is weird that a publishing company needs to have help publishing - sounds like a bad business model.
As per the book I imagine it will be of interest to a lot of people.
And no LS is not the devil ! The devil is busy publishing his own big secret book LOL

gregory

Ask in the FAQs then - I'm sure Andrea will be happy to answer. I've asked him about the other two books already.

But as Bonnie Cehovet says in the video - it may be too niche to make it without using this method to at the very least get a lot of attention. Heavens - they've already sold at least 150 copies. That has to be reassuring when you are trying to bring something out that you do NOT want to see remaindered in a couple of years.

And the price - well, in a store, think how much you pay for a full colour book that size. Kaplan black and white vol 1 is listed new at £23; the colour 2 and 3 are £25 and £28.70; 4 is £29 and change. The standard price for this is £14. A bargain, I think - and one which probably wouldn't be possible without crowdfunding. I'm sure it will rocket up when the book makes it into stores - but backing it gives the chance to get it for less - just look at some of the excellent decks that have been funded this way, which cost way more afterwards (I can think of two in particular I neglected to back which were twice the price when they went on sale to non-backers.)