Seashell Runes

GotH

Way to go celticnoodle, hope you have as much fun as I'm having putting them together. :D

And the idea of putting up a fairy house is awesome! How sweet of you. I'm sure the fairies will love it.. :)

ETA: We can work on our projects together! Keep me informed with how you are doing with your production on this thread if you can..

junethird

Hi Goth!!!

I made my own runes!!! Made mine out of stones i found by the lake over the summer. I just painted the symbols on mine. I used different colours and i think they looked very pretty and worked quite effectively. But then again ive only done one public reading on the forum with them. But im amazed how accurate they can be when i need clarification for myself.

GotH

Hey June!

You did? I think it's so cool when people make their own divination tools. I saw a set of tumbled rose quartz runes that were absolutely gorgeous but we're ridiculously out of my price range. I figured I could make something just as nice for much less money and it looks like I will be. Home made items seem to have your own magic applied to them as well and that's pretty special. I notice that with a personal oracle "deck" I made and have had a lot of fun with.

Thanks for sharing. :)

junethird

Hey June!

You did? I think it's so cool when people make their own divination tools. I saw a set of tumbled rose quartz runes that were absolutely gorgeous but we're ridiculously out of my price range. I figured I could make something just as nice for much less money and it looks like I will be. Home made items seem to have your own magic applied to them as well and that's pretty special. I notice that with a personal oracle "deck" I made and have had a lot of fun with.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Oh yeah for sure. Thats how i got into making my own aswell found a lovely pair that i personally thought was way over priced.

Yeah i wrote a post bout my experience on runes when Greatdane was looking into some last year i belive and Dancing Moon ws gracious enough to be my guinea pig a few months ago. The reading experience turned out well for me.

I started with some shells as well but i like he feel of the stones on my hands better. I keep mine in wooden box that i bought at a craft store and hand painted it myself and i also used some pretty stencils to add designs to the box!

So go for it. Get creative!

celticnoodle

Junethird, those sound beautiful! (Like your avatar as well, :) ).

I'm headed down to the beach again today and plan to do a big shell collection. I was thinking about it all night last night, and even had a dream about it. :laugh: shells was definitely on my mind!

In my dream, shells that were fairly large--the size of an American dollar coin was what kept showing up. So, I'll do my best to go with that. I was picking up mostly small shells for the fairy house. I am hoping to create the fairy house with my granddaughters and daughter, when they come to visit in early April. So, perhaps I'll get my shell runes done before that and I can do a reading on the kid (our daughter) with them. :D

Yes, GOTH, I will keep you updated. You do the same. I was looking online about runes and found a site all about celtic runes. (actually, quite a few sites). Due to both my ancestral heritage and in keeping with this crazy name of mine, :laugh: I think I'll go with the Celtic ones. :) btw, GOTH, I even saw a site (didn't go to it, though) that was Gothic Runes....

I heard on the news last night that we are expecting two more major snow storms, :rolleyes: back home. So, I'm hoping to get to the art store to get the required supplies for both of my projects. :D

Should be a fun March! Go ahead, Mother Nature--BRING ON THAT SNOW!!! I'm excited about these projects.

Padma

Modpodge would work to seal them, GotH, and it is easily available in craft stores. Try a test run shell first, though, as some shellacs can thin and smudge paint, especially from the metallic pens.

GotH

I'm headed down to the beach again today and plan to do a big shell collection. I was thinking about it all night last night, and even had a dream about it. :laugh: shells was definitely on my mind!
Shell hunting can be so much fun! Enjoy your time..

In my dream, shells that were fairly large--the size of an American dollar coin was what kept showing up. So, I'll do my best to go with that. I was picking up mostly small shells for the fairy house. I am hoping to create the fairy house with my granddaughters and daughter, when they come to visit in early April. So, perhaps I'll get my shell runes done before that and I can do a reading on the kid (our daughter) with them. :D
American dollar coins are just about the size of a quarter if not a tad smaller right? I looked closer at a quarter today and realize my shells are just a bit bigger which is fine with me. I can't wait to get started but I have all this unpacking and car washing to do. ;/

Yes, GOTH, I will keep you updated. You do the same. I was looking online about runes and found a site all about celtic runes. (actually, quite a few sites). Due to both my ancestral heritage and in keeping with this crazy name of mine, :laugh: I think I'll go with the Celtic ones. :) btw, GOTH, I even saw a site (didn't go to it, though) that was Gothic Runes....
Oooh Gothic Runes.. I'm really not gothic at all to be quite honest. It's mainly my "stage" name here that sorta came to be. I don't mind it at all though as we all have to play with our alter egos from time to time. :joke:

I heard on the news last night that we are expecting two more major snow storms, :rolleyes: back home. So, I'm hoping to get to the art store to get the required supplies for both of my projects. :D

Should be a fun March! Go ahead, Mother Nature--BRING ON THAT SNOW!!! I'm excited about these projects.
Keep warm and stay safe!

Modpodge would work to seal them, GotH, and it is easily available in craft stores. Try a test run shell first, though, as some shellacs can thin and smudge paint, especially from the metallic pens.
Okay thanks for that Padma. I've never heard of Modpodge but I'll be sure to check it out.

Michaels!!!! Here I come! <after my chores of course>

Padma

Modpodge can be used as a dual purpose glue and protective sealant. It is often used to do decoupage projects. :)

ETA and they defs have it at Michael's.

GotH

Modpodge can be used as a dual purpose glue and protective sealant. It is often used to do decoupage projects. :)

ETA and they defs have it at Michael's.

:thumbsup:

Hey... Do you think a glitter coat would be too fifi for this? I mean I like glitter and stuff but for runes? lol

Padma

:thumbsup:

Hey... Do you think a glitter coat would be too fifi for this? I mean I like glitter and stuff but for runes? lol

Why not? You can mix glitter into the Modpodge.

You could also get really creative, and use Folk Art's (available at Michael's) craquelure paint technique on them :) you paint a coat of a darker colour paint, then a coat of craquelure, then a lighter colour topcoat. Result: the craquelure forms little splits and lines that look like ceramic does when it "crazes" and you have runes that look antique.