Creating a BTVS deck - Looking for other fans

Zoe Grace

as for spike and "lust"

Spike and buffy together would belong on the devil card IMO. there are a million reasons why. Spike is a demon literally. their relationship is all about sex, and bondage (although not the literal fun kind), it's about addiction, it's about power and control and it's unhealthy (at least in season 6), it's abusive...etc. although the primary abuser is buffy. definitely if we are putting spike and buffy on a card, I would have to go with the devil card. the lovers card is too innocent.

Zoe Grace

i said giles should be the heirophant, i meant to say the emperor...the watcher's council should be the heirophant.

HudsonGray

No, I think it would work the other way around--the Watcher's Council as the Emperor and Giles as Hierophant.

The Emperor says 'do this' and wants it done. That's the Watcher council all the way, with no consideration of the individual Slayer's needs. Whereas the Hierophant is more a teacher, leader, guide, guru - very much a Giles sort of thing. Buffy only took Giles' words as advisement, not law, remember. The Emperor requires law & obedience. If Giles pulled that he'd not get any sort of cooperation from her or the Scooby group. The Watcher Council found that out when they released the vampire for her & he took her mom as hostage.

So for me I'd go with it this way rather than reversed.

truelighth

Hey all,

I am a real big Buffy and Angel fan myself and tried to go to the page to see the cards. But it won't load. Anyone else have those problems? I would really, really love to see the images.

HudsonGray

I'm not sure if this is the same deck (it's majors only) but all the pictures load on this one. http://www.geocities.com/lady_greenwood/buffy-tarot.html

Actually I dont think it is the deck by Alicamel, she/he only posted for a month back in 2002 and then stopped. The angelfire site was taken down and doesn't exist anymore.

Oh well, there are other Buffy decks out there, do a google.com search on Buffy Tarot and you'll find pictures.

truelighth

Thanks Hudsongray. I had found that one too myself, but it is always handy. I had hoped to see Alicalem's images and choices.

However, when I did a search, I did find another Buffy tarot site:

http://anne.elisa.free.fr/tarotexplication.html

I think the choices made here are interesting, if not all appropiate. But I especially like Faith as the Devil, since she was indeed seduced by the dark side. Spike as the Lover is also cool. I personally would have changed a few of the cards. I find Buffy as the Magician not really fitting. I always thought of her as Strength.

Ceit

The Fool -- I would say Buffy, because it's her journey and she does start the series inocent and free, her touches with the other cards makes her learn and adapt.

The Magician- I would use Ethan. He can play all the tricks but he doesn't have a soul.

The High Priestess-- I would Put Tara here. She is a magical creature that does magic for a reason.

The Empress- Joyce -- She is Buffy's attachment to Earth. She is the mother figure and is the one "good" thing in Buffy's life that she can hold on to outside her being a slayer.

The Emperor -- I would put Giles here but I see him more a spirtual Guide. But Buffy firmly places him as a Father figure. So -- In a lot of ways I would put The Mayor - I know he is evil and sick, but he was in a strange way a father figure for faith.

The hierophant. --Giles, he is Buffy's mentor and father figure.

The Lovers -- I would put Willow and Xander with Oz and Anya in the shadows.

The Chariot -- Spike at the reigns of a firey horse demons. His journey is that of Victory through Adversity.

Stregnth-- Harmony

The Hermit -- Oz- He I think embodies the hermit always looking inward to control the inner beast. He lives in the world but distance himself from all those around him.

Wheel of Fortune -- The Scooby gang

Justice-- Anyanka

The Hanged Man -- Spike as he embraces the Cross

Death -- The Master -- He always keeps coming back.

Temerance -- Cordy

The Devil -- Angelus with Spike and Dru in chains before him

The Tower -- I would have to say Buffy jumping of the tower in the gift.

The Star -- The end of Fool For Love when Buffy and Spike are sitting on the stairs -- buffy just heard about her mother going into the hospital and Spike chose to help her instead of kill her.

The Moon -Tara and Willow raising the Rose together

The Sun - ???

Judgement -- The last scene of Buffy in Chosen with what's left of the Scooby gang

The world -- Again it would be the Cast of Buffy..

I couldn't come up with anything for the sun.

Zephyros

For me the Devil would be The First Evil. All temptations and illusions, never taking corporeal form, always having some one else do its dirty work for it. Just a thought.

Ceit

closrapexa said:
For me the Devil would be The First Evil. All temptations and illusions, never taking corporeal form, always having some one else do its dirty work for it. Just a thought.

I was thinking of that but realized that the First Evil was all about it. It wanted full control of mankind. While the Devil plays upon it. Much like Angelus' control over Dru and Spike, they where his play toys shakled -- they are his creations. Once the first evil gets what it wants it discards them.

So, you could be right, but Angelus and his control over both Dru and Spike (especially Spike's obsession and Dru's torment)

bleuivy

I would LOVE to get my hands on a BtVS/Angle deck. And now that both shows are finished *sob!*, the mythology is firmly in place. Now, the meaning the artist intended to put on each card wouldn't be changed by later episodes adding more to the mythology behind the symbolism.

I especially like the idea of the hanged man as spike on the cross, and oz as the hermit.

Ceit -- why would you put Harmony on the Strength card? Buffy or Cordelia strike me as more the strength type. I would be interested in hearing your reasoning.

As for the sun, how about Dawn? Or perhaps an image of Angel or Spike in sunlight?

Also, in your idea BtVS deck, would you include characters and mythology/symbolish from Angle's series, or keep it firmly in the realm of Sunnydale?